E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lost parking sensors after installing aftermarket head unit

10-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Antidogma
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Lost parking sensors after installing aftermarket head unit

Hello:
The other day I had installed an aftermarket head unit to replace the Top HiFi OEM Alpine radio on my 2008 328i (E90).
After reading several posts, I had the OEM head unit relocated to the trunk, and I had several wires run to it, including the High and Low CAN bus.
I then had an additional speaker installed in the empty center channel to take care of the chimes warning for opening the door while ignition key is in, parking brakes and seat belts.
My car is also equipped with rear parking sensors, that I thought go through a different loop. However, I have now realized that I lost the parking sensor beep.
Maybe is something as simple as having to reprogram the car, but I am afraid to have lost them for good.
Does anybody on this clever forum has any info, feedback, suggestion? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Antidogma
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

It turns out that the problem was that I did not connect the rear signals from the OEM radio to the central speaker. Now I get the beep but it is way too weak. I will have to find the way of in-line amplifying it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Having a rear alert come from the front is not very intuitive.

Are you saying that you have three channels connected to your center speaker?

Where did you have it done?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
spitfire656
Rep
Drives: 318D e90 2008

hi,question,i'm highly dissapointed in the sound of my e90 318d 2008,wich only has the business radio,

its doesnt sound good and no usb,only aux
did placing an aftermarket headunit make a big difference sound wise?

grtz
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire656 View Post
hi,question,i'm highly dissapointed in the sound of my e90 318d 2008,wich only has the business radio,

its doesnt sound good and no usb,only aux
did placing an aftermarket headunit make a big difference sound wise?

grtz
We did it on Friday. No, it did not. The EQ and time correction features of some head units give capability the stock head doesn't have, but we did a Level Two in the E90 last week, and I thought it sounded no better than it would have with a pro cd player (before I made those adjustments, anyway).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
spitfire656
Rep
Drives: 318D e90 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
We did it on Friday. No, it did not. The EQ and time correction features of some head units give capability the stock head doesn't have, but we did a Level Two in the E90 last week, and I thought it sounded no better than it would have with a pro cd player (before I made those adjustments, anyway).
hm,to bad,i would think its a big difference in sound since you have alot more equalizer options etc.
mine is already ordered and im waiting for the steering wheel adapter.will hear the difference when its installed.

thnx for the info
grtz
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The OP says he had Top HiFi. The Top HiFi amp
Will not work with an aftermarket HU so he had to have a different system than stock anyway. If you have HiFi, it can be retained as is with an aftermarket HU. If you have Top, then a different amp is needed. If you have Stereo, your system sucks and it needs changing more than it needs a HU. We would not have done this Stereo HU install if we weren't also upgrading the audio with one of our packages - customer would har been just as unhappy with the sound after.
Appreciate 0