E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Problem with automatic gearbox

02-13-2011, 04:01 AM   #23
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Pete, when I started reading this thread I recalled you mentioning before that the box actually doesn't have a memory.

I wonder is there is any placebo going on here?

I tried it because I thought it might fix the slamming problem, and so far I've not been able to test that part of it, but as for general smoothness and responsiveness I'm really not sure if it's better or not.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 04:38 AM   #24
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

when I had mine remapped ( emaps) Simon asked me if I wanted the gearbox resetting so I said yes. The car felt alot sharper but then again it had been chipped.

When I had to have a new ecu ( nothing to do with remap) I went back to Simon who remapped the car again (for free) & this time I asked him to reset the gear box. Still felt better after. The car feels more like a manual after the reset in as much as there revs & road speed seem to rise in unison where as before it always seems like the road speed is playing catchup with the engine.

There is an option on the bavarian teqnique ( i think thats what it was) to reset the gearbox so there is definately something to be reset. What, I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #25
man33sh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 330D Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
I wonder is there is any placebo going on here?
Pretty sure the the throttle responsiveness has improved and the gear changes are more predicatable...

I do a lot of town driving and it felt that the auto was trying to maintain the highest gear possible, which is probably good for mileage but the downside was that when I tried/had to accelerate suddenly I found that the auto still was a gear higher than it should be and I found myself using the paddle shift.

The technique mentioned by Penport has definitely sorted this out for me...Wonder if my mileage will go down?

will be keeping an eye on this...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #26
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I'm very much aware of the placebo effect; I always treat the exotic fuels as such but I am 100% happy that this apparently simple reset procedure has made my previously 'fussy' autobox a lot more 'decided' and less unsure as to what gear to select.
      02-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #27
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Anyone who has done this reset...

Has your steady speed rpm range / shift points changed at all?

What about fuel economy?

Or is it simply a case of smoother changes?

I always thought that the box re-learnt each time you started the car. My car seems to sit at around 1.3k RPM at steady speeds which seems v.low, sometimes you can feel the lack of power when accelerating until it hits 1.7k rpm (on turbo) so sometimes I choose to drive in DS mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #28
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Yes, my change points have lowered slightly and the changes are much smoother.

No idea if MPG has improved though, too early to tell.
      03-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
tawia
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 125d

Garage List
It does learn. If you drive hard, it learns to hold onto a gear longer, if you drive like a granny it learns to shift up early. When you reset it it goes back to factory settings and starts to 'listen' to your foot again.

It's not the actually gearbox that learns/resets etc it's the auto box brain that get readings from the fly/by/wire throttle as to how much you accelerate over an average. It has two modes. Rev higher, hold gears longer for mr aggressive. Shift up sooner, don't drop gears without moderate acceleration for granny mode.

Another thing that uses the same system is the tilt sensor. Ever notice after roundabouts and moderate low speed corners when u put the foot down it feels like it takes a while to respond? That's to stop dear old grandma giving it the beans too early and ending up doing a 360 into the nearest hedge

Of course DS mode bypasses all of the above
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

I am quite sure the gearbox does learn. Been driving steady for a few weeks now and the gearbox will change on it's own at about 1700rpm (if i don't change it before with the flappy paddles).

After a reset it appears to default to about 2500rpm as standard.

If you drive steady for a while and then try the drive in a spirited way the gearbox is reluctant to kick down on it's own under hard acceleration.

just my 2p...............
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #31
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawia View Post

Of course DS mode bypasses all of the above
ohh no wonder why i love DS mode..i thought we were connected by heart , man and car way lol downside is ...it eats petrol like no tmr tho

sorry cant say anything to help but will try on my car tmr...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #32
moogus
BMW F30 Sport, N20, Dinan Tune
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport, N20, Dinan Tune

Unbelievable!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penport View Post
You can reset the gearbox yourself - key in slot - press start without foot on brake - then press down accelerator pedal to the floor for 30 seconds.

I find that if I do this every few weeks it restores me to "super smooth" changes.

Hope that helps......
OMG, I just Tried reseting , It Worked. I was just about to buy a new Automatic Transmission Read this, and it worked, cant believe it. I was almost about to change my Transmission. I would step on the gas my 328i would just shudder and barely pick up speed, my Mechanic @ my Local BMW Dealership said it was the Transmission. I Freaked Out No Money we thought it was Coil, Plugs changed all 6 out of each coil and Plugs. I read these posts and tried it Walla, "A" OK, Thanks to you Penport, You saved us a trip to the poor House.. Thank you Again, We are Honored To have this info!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 01:30 AM   #33
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Yes it is for throttle adaptation. This helped me for a month. When I brought the car the box was silky smooth so I thought no I don't want to be resetting this every month - never had to before so why now?

I had my gearbox software updated by the dealer under warranty. At first they said they did not provide it and that it had not been done by them before. Then they returned it to me and said that they had no choice but to do it.

Let me tell you about the things I know... I was annoyed to say the least because my car had been fine and when I read that software updates could fix it I had even more doubts but:
- ZF do bring out new software as like any good company they want to continue to improve their product. We don't always benefit from this in the UK because some dealers like mine are useless at times.
- The theory goes that with ware and tear the new software can help the box to adapt better to internal conditions
- Personally speaking with background in IT, software can go bad over time and needs patching or replacing.
- ZF also recommend a gearbox filter and oil change every 60,000 miles/x years whichever comes first. Before anyone opens fire on me and backs the dealers non-sense claim of the box being 'filled for life'... I recommend you do thorough research and even speak to ZF Germany about proper maintenance.

We get taken for a ride in the UK. ZF UK should offer the facility to do this but they don't. It is very difficult finding an independent dealer who has the tools and know how to do this. Someone recommended one on here but it's about trusting your pride and joy with them...

I bet if the ZF fluid was tested in a lab after 60,000 miles it would show some signs of breaking down. The mechatronic is incased near a hot bath of oil. All it would take is a leak and some thermal shock to the fluid to start frying that. Fluid does start to break down with time. The oil galleries in the box are sophisticated and conplicated. Any obstruction to those could bring potential concerns.

My gearbox sleeve leaked and had to be replaced twice in a year. There were no fault codes triggered.

The software update worked for me but I don't know if it will for you. Worth a shot? Some report being back at square one after a few months. That's my two pennies worth for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #34
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Fox View Post
Yes it is for throttle adaptation. This helped me for a month. When I brought the car the box was silky smooth so I thought no I don't want to be resetting this every month - never had to before so why now?

I had my gearbox software updated by the dealer under warranty. At first they said they did not provide it and that it had not been done by them before. Then they returned it to me and said that they had no choice but to do it.

Let me tell you about the things I know... I was annoyed to say the least because my car had been fine and when I read that software updates could fix it I had even more doubts but:
- ZF do bring out new software as like any good company they want to continue to improve their product. We don't always benefit from this in the UK because some dealers like mine are useless at times.
- The theory goes that with ware and tear the new software can help the box to adapt better to internal conditions
- Personally speaking with background in IT, software can go bad over time and needs patching or replacing.
- ZF also recommend a gearbox filter and oil change every 60,000 miles/x years whichever comes first. Before anyone opens fire on me and backs the dealers non-sense claim of the box being 'filled for life'... I recommend you do thorough research and even speak to ZF Germany about proper maintenance.

We get taken for a ride in the UK. ZF UK should offer the facility to do this but they don't. It is very difficult finding an independent dealer who has the tools and know how to do this. Someone recommended one on here but it's about trusting your pride and joy with them...

I bet if the ZF fluid was tested in a lab after 60,000 miles it would show some signs of breaking down. The mechatronic is incased near a hot bath of oil. All it would take is a leak and some thermal shock to the fluid to start frying that. Fluid does start to break down with time. The oil galleries in the box are sophisticated and conplicated. Any obstruction to those could bring potential concerns.

My gearbox sleeve leaked and had to be replaced twice in a year. There were no fault codes triggered.

The software update worked for me but I don't know if it will for you. Worth a shot? Some report being back at square one after a few months. That's my two pennies worth for now.
check my thread, if you want a ATF change , go to a1bn speclisit, you can clearly see the work they done and i opted all bmw parts and oil too.

link

anyone who buys the bmw oil for life bullshit are extremely naive...if they look at my oil it was pure black after 75k miles

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 03:55 AM   #35
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

If you want it re set the gear box parameters you have tinisoltarecthe gearbox ECU, you go in to this clear adaptations verify via diagnostic then and this is important to ensure you get the best value from the procedure you drive from scratch introducing form the start lighter throttle inputs allowing the car to drive and change gear as the length of the drive increases you can introduce heavier rev/throttle inputs again as the driver you'll feel the difference first hand(though to start with it'll feel a tad lethargic IMO)

Once you've got a decent bit of mileage under your belt (I did a good 30 miles on mine to be 100% happy) you can then start as I did to in D introduce manual changes but still in D then switch to DS and you'll feel a difference in these changes straightaway as they'll be less anarchy from the word go and then to a smaller degree go through the same process in DS and then using paddles/shift to manually go up/down the gears then finally on the home stretch re select D for the final mile or so

The difference when you grt in the car in the morning after this bit of self disciplined driving us well worth it.

Rewind the clock a tad and update the software too and again it really helps(but with the software update you need to re set the parameters still) and the differences though small are even more significant, add that to a fluid change then you've got the whole package. I done mine fuel economy's better changes better and on engine braking the cars far smoother on down changes though from pull off there's still that slight bit of elasticity present(gearbox protection where it kinda slips in lower gears and in the cold start/warm up stage)

Remember gearbox software updates are like updates on your phone they are developed for various reasons from customer related issues(being reported to BMW and from there the issue(s)are analysed a fix is developed and then rolled out these patches like mobile phone updates are constantly evolving but they'll change the way the gearbox works from the mechatronics to the adaptive values and communication. All key re ensuring everything working, but it's a pity a gearbox fluid and sump/filters not in the BMW menu fir changing as it is say with Mercedes/VW Audi. But then again, if BMW chose seal for life for their gearboxes
how come you get get the required fluid and a gearbox sump within 5 or so hours of ordering them on the phone. Do you think they know something we don't?

Think about the throttle re set thing though for a second, how can holding the throttle down for 30 seconds with ignition on set set this? You're just doing a quick clear on the throttle side of things as you know the throttle is drive by wire and is constantly on an adaptive relearn cycle, by doing this yes it will make a difference to the way the car drives(from a throttle input side) it was a popular E46 thing to do, as it was simple to do and on the surface quite rightly the differences could be felt by the driver.

But the throttle thing is short term as you drive off the cycle starts again and the car adapts to your driving style.

All very interesting stuff thus something I see quite a lot good topic to bring up..

And a final note for Yoro... I drove your car as you know and couldn't quite work out how/why your auto box felt a tad sharper, then realise looking at your homepage you'd got the Alpina gearbox software onboard. Seems to work that but struggled to work out why really bugged me as to why it felt different..
      04-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #36
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

There is a specific procedure for the zf gearbox adaptations. Its in the zf service procedure. Before you start the re learn process the box has to be a certain temp. Google zfs own notes.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #37
nik patel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Pro G20

I take the reset on the auto box works for a 2006 e90?
      04-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #38
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

seem to know your stuff old grey steve !
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #39
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik patel View Post
I take the reset on the auto box works for a 2006 e90?
Good to talk to you today Nik sent required PM re the company concerned that supplied methe necessary kit at a half decent price, please call them though to discuss your exact requirements and gearbox spec as its all too easy if your not careful to order the wrong part they'll have the necessary software to configure your gearbox spec to supply you the correct sump and fluid, don't forget to request the mecahtronics sleave to be safe as you'd kick yourself if when we removed the sump this little blighter was found to be sweating fluid(sometimes they do sometimes they don't and you won't know for sure until you're on the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20b25 View Post
seem to know your stuff old grey steve !
Its a case of having too. I've learnt got a good memory and have mechanical knowledge(though I'm no maintenance, stand round our place for long enough you pick up plenty of very useful info, its just a case of filing it in your mind..... good for everyone then that my minds empty so everything I learn, see and experience goes in
      04-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #40
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
And a final note for Yoro... I drove your car as you know and couldn't quite work out how/why your auto box felt a tad sharper, then realise looking at your homepage you'd got the Alpina gearbox software onboard. Seems to work that but struggled to work out why really bugged me as to why it felt different..
Its the software that change the whole gearbox feel, quicker shifting means more sharpness feeling, i hope you did put it on DS to have some fun?

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 05:54 AM   #41
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Its the software that change the whole gearbox feel, quicker shifting means more sharpness feeling, i hope you did put it on DS to have some fun?
Who meNah
      04-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #42
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

I know the temp thing applies to VAG 'dsg' cars but was not aware it applied to ZF as well. Have you a link to this ZF manual?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #43
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

I found the 198 page ZF manual online and downloaded it.

Answer to my own question: yes specific temperature is important at a few stages

Best to leave it jacked up over night so the last 10-20% can drain from the box.

Very annoyed as the dealer has been fobbing me off all this time. Those thumps I had with mine upshifting from 2-3... that's not something oil can fix and it will only get worse with time. So I am opening a case/complaint with them once I get a report from my trusted independent ex-BMW man. I can't believe how many times I took it in and they turned me away 3 times saying that the mechatronic sleeve was changed... 3 times in the span of under a year... this must be a really shit part. Rant over.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 06:31 AM   #44
Bicax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d (E91)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
I found the 198 page ZF manual online and downloaded it.

Answer to my own question: yes specific temperature is important at a few stages

Best to leave it jacked up over night so the last 10-20% can drain from the box.

Very annoyed as the dealer has been fobbing me off all this time. Those thumps I had with mine upshifting from 2-3... that's not something oil can fix and it will only get worse with time. So I am opening a case/complaint with them once I get a report from my trusted independent ex-BMW man. I can't believe how many times I took it in and they turned me away 3 times saying that the mechatronic sleeve was changed... 3 times in the span of under a year... this must be a really shit part. Rant over.
Heya! I have exactly the same issue (a thumb when up shifting from 2nd to 3rd, it feels like the car is jumping forward).

Did you manage to find a solution for this?
Appreciate 0