E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > think i burned my clutch

04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
think i burned my clutch

i red lined the car today from a rolling start in first, red line killed power. when i took it out of first at the light, the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. while i was waiting i ran it though the gears, it was very notchy and the clutch pedal still stuck to the floor. there was no resistance in the clutch pedal, as i waited for the light it started feeling better. it was a nice long houston feeder road stop light so by the time it turned green i was able to take off very slowly in first and i shifted clutchless the rest of the way home. when i got to my neighborhood first felt much better but i still have to go extremely easy on the clutch. i can shift with the clutch but it is very notchy in the low gears 1-3. i am hoping all i did was overheat the disc, which may have glazed it, if thats possible, it is all speculation for me, and it will slowly return to normal. it is drivable and i think the damage is all mechanical, as i got no warning lights what so ever. any previous experience or thoughts on this manner would be appreciated, even if they are about how much of a dumb-ass i am.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

You may have blown it. When your in fifth and give it some gas does it slip and rev up?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
no it holds i didnt notice any slipping at all even directly after, it just shutters really bad on release, but it seems to be getting better.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

I don't understand, you shifted near redline and you think you burned the clutch? Or am I missing something?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
triger716
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
I don't understand, you shifted near redline and you think you burned the clutch? Or am I missing something?
I think he went past red line and the car shut itself down to save his engine. As for the clutch ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

It sounds like he dumped the clutch at redline and the pedal stuck all the way up
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
no i was already rolling 5-10mph, gunned it, car went to red line, lost power. when i depressed the clutch to take it out of 1st gear the clutch pedal stuck to the floor, dead. i just now drove it to the store and it was operational, i had to take it very easy and when i started from a stop on a hill i got a little shuttering. 3rd and 4th were very hard, had to wait till rpms dropped for them to pop in, kind of like shifting clutchless when you dont do it right. on the way home i was taking a turn in second and accelerated to 4k rpm and clutch pedal went dead again. i will be taking it to the shop asap. just not sure if im even going to try the dealer for warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

If you got warranty they will check it out and possibly do it free. Regardless check it out for free
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
brand new 10k miles
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Healey3000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
no i was already rolling 5-10mph, gunned it, car went to red line, lost power. when i depressed the clutch to take it out of 1st gear the clutch pedal stuck to the floor, dead. i just now drove it to the store and it was operational, i had to take it very easy and when i started from a stop on a hill i got a little shuttering. 3rd and 4th were very hard, had to wait till rpms dropped for them to pop in, kind of like shifting clutchless when you dont do it right. on the way home i was taking a turn in second and accelerated to 4k rpm and clutch pedal went dead again. i will be taking it to the shop asap. just not sure if im even going to try the dealer for warranty.
Hi,

My guess from your description is that the clutch master or slave cylinder has failed. Chances are you "jumped" on the clutch pedal to disengage when the limiter kicked in and this damaged the seals in the master or slave (master more likely). With seals blown, there is no restoring force to make the pedal come back up.

With this kind of damage, when you press the pedal, you are getting only some fluid pumped to the slave. Therefore, the pedal is not fully disengaging the clutch disc, resulting in very hard shifts, or as you describe, it's like shifting without a clutch.

I think you got lucky and will only have to replace one or both cylinders. Far better than having to replace the clutch itself! Let's hope my reasoning is correct.

Regards and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
thanks for the reply, i think you are right. i dont think the acceleration had anything to do with it as the car is running normal other wise. i just dropped it off at the dealer and i am pretty confident it will be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

+1, most likely the hydraulics which activates/de-activates the clutch.

I red-line my car everyday and the clutch never had problems.

I wish we will go back to the days when cable was used. You can "feel" the power of the engine through the clutch pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healey3000 View Post
Hi,

My guess from your description is that the clutch master or slave cylinder has failed. Chances are you "jumped" on the clutch pedal to disengage when the limiter kicked in and this damaged the seals in the master or slave (master more likely). With seals blown, there is no restoring force to make the pedal come back up.

With this kind of damage, when you press the pedal, you are getting only some fluid pumped to the slave. Therefore, the pedal is not fully disengaging the clutch disc, resulting in very hard shifts, or as you describe, it's like shifting without a clutch.

I think you got lucky and will only have to replace one or both cylinders. Far better than having to replace the clutch itself! Let's hope my reasoning is correct.

Regards and good luck.
      04-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #13
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

most likely, you damaged the throw out bearing
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
DMafia46
Hates Posers
Rep
Drives: E46M3,335xi,Lambo,

Quote:
Hi,

Regards and good luck.

This. He redlined it felt the fuel cutout hit the clutch because he bounced off the cutoff and the clutch cylinder has failed.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Hi,

Regards and good luck.
This sounds just like what I was going to say.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
Healey3000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i, with 3 pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickch View Post
That's definitely a possibility, which I considered. T/O bearings usually don't fail abruptly; they give you fair warning. The force of the tines is very high, making it less likely that the bearing is stuck in the forward position. If it is then stuck in the retracted position, the clutch pedal would be very difficult to press.

From a mechanical standpoint, it is absolutely a possibility that the bearing has failed, resulting in the symptoms given.

OP, has the feel of the pedal changed since the incident?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achien View Post
I wish we will go back to the days when cable was used.
Yeah, until that cable snaps in the middle of a busy intersection and the car stalls >.<
      04-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #18
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Sound's like a blown master/slave to me.
Throwout doesn't sound right. Bearing is on a carrier. Normally they seize and make an awful sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickch View Post
havent heard from the dealer yet, but im thinking it is hydraulic because it was drivable last night but got progressively worse. this morning there were times where it would build pressure, the drive to the dealership was interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #20
brocklanders
Major
Rep

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
just talked to the service advisor, he said the clutch is destroyed. thats a very vague description, all he said was there was residue all over the bell housing. dosent make sense to me, i would have thought the clutch would have slipped in gear. waiting on word from bmw, but my guess is they are going to call it abuse.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
adriang
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X2

let us know!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
project6
TOML Rescue
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
just talked to the service advisor, he said the clutch is destroyed. thats a very vague description, all he said was there was residue all over the bell housing. dosent make sense to me, i would have thought the clutch would have slipped in gear. waiting on word from bmw, but my guess is they are going to call it abuse.
Why would you think they will make this assessment? (Of course, barring the fact that they will say this in the beginning just to try and wash their hands out of warranty work)

Is BMW really that much of a fragile and delicate little flower that it will break down at the slightest "spirited" driving?
Appreciate 0