E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Ipod playback with new CIC software

02-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #23
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Just got my car back from the HPFP recall and software update. Looks like my MY09 idrive was hit by this "defect" too....
      02-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #24
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

If you use this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145 you can code your own CIC for the missing information after an update.

I did my MY2009 CIC with MY2011.5 software -showing the same exact Combox/missing display problems posted in this thread- and it works. Plus you can code your CIC for Combox if you plan to retrofit it later.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #25
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

silly q.. what is the version of the latest software and how can i check mine? My 2/2009 was just updated 2 weeks ago and I am curious to know what version they used

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #26
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Also having this problem with my '09...i called the dealership and they said it can't be reversed. Any one to confirm this for sure?

Does this problem get solved if I use a USB flash drive instead of my iPod?

Is anyone's navigation map permanently in "night mode" where the entire map is dark even during the day?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #27
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

I am having this problem too! MY09 idrive. After HPFP and software update, my whole new idrive interface is different and even more buggy. Sure it looks nice but its got too many menus and the playback is glitchy.

what to do??
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #28
APM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Also my car was updated with a latest software (2009 3 COupe E92) and I have same problems. Also I can't save or edit music on hard disc anymore - this submenu is missing.

New submenu, "unkown title" for any song on USB:

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #29
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If you use this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145 you can code your own CIC for the missing information after an update.

I did my MY2009 CIC with MY2011.5 software -showing the same exact Combox/missing display problems posted in this thread- and it works. Plus you can code your CIC for Combox if you plan to retrofit it later.
I just read that entire thread and found nothing about fixing this issue via coding. Could you link to the specific post that outlines a fix for this issue?

-edit I took my car back to the dealer, and they said there is nothing they can do until another software update is released with the fix. Apparently they had five cars with the same issue this past week and BMW is aware of the issue. How true that is, I don't know.
      02-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #30
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I just read that entire thread and found nothing about fixing this issue via coding. Could you link to the specific post that outlines a fix for this issue?

-edit I took my car back to the dealer, and they said there is nothing they can do until another software update is released with the fix. Apparently they had five cars with the same issue this past week and BMW is aware of the issue. How true that is, I don't know.
Using NCS Expert and the OBDII cable:

- connect cable to car
- open NCSExpert
- select ExpertMode as your profile
- read your VIN/VO (VO = FA)
- select CIC ECU
- select Process ECU

NCSExpert will code your CIC to your car VO and production date. So all the incorrect MY2011.5 variable values will be replaced automatically with your production date variable values. Your CIC will shut down at completion of the process and when it comes back it will match your current hardware, while keeping all the enhancements of the update.

That's it. I fixed mine this way, and that was after getting my CIC updated by an aftermarket vendor.

For example, the Combox values will be replaced by MULF, the Satellite (SDARS) variable will be changed from inbox (as in built in tuner of MY2010-on CIC) to exbox (external/trunk tuner of MY2009 CIC) and so on.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #31
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

- connect cable to car
- open NCSExpert
- select CIC ECU
- select Process ECU

NCSExpert will code your CIC to your car VO and production date. So all the incorrect MY2011.5 variable values will be replaced automatically with your production date variable values. Your CIC will shut down at completion of the process and when it comes back it will match your current hardware, while keeping all the enhancements of the update.

That's it. I fixed mine this way, and that was after getting my CIC updated by an aftermarket vendor.

For example, the Combox values will be replaced by MULF, the Satellite (SDARS) variable will be changed from inbox (as in built in tuner of MY2010-on CIC) to exbox (external/trunk tuner of MY2009 CIC) and so on.

But this can void warranty ? My car is still under warranty (another 12 months), so they have to fix this. I'll go back to my dealer and I will told them that my current software is for cars which has Combox (6VC). So they must remove combox in my VIN/VO because I don't have it and then code software again. I hope this instructions are correct and they will be able to fix my iDrive. I will write if we will succeed.

Also I've seen that iDrive without Combox has Contacts menu while iDrive with Combox has Office menu. Before coding I had Contact menu and now after coding I have Office menu on that place. So this is another point which confirm that I have software for cars with Combox.

Also we could write emails to BMW to inform them about this problem. Contact is here:

http://www.bmw.de/de/de/general/cont.../overview.html

and

http://www.bmw.de/de/de/owners/conne...0/contact.html

Last edited by Shakal; 02-26-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #32
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post
But this can void warranty ? My car is still under warranty (another 12 months), so they have to fix this. I'll go back to my dealer and I will told them that my current software is for cars which has Combox (6VC). So they must remove combox in my VIN/VO because I don't have it and then code software again. I hope this instructions are correct and they will be able to fix my iDrive. I will write if we will succeed.

Also I've seen that iDrive without Combox has Contacts menu while iDrive with Combox has Office menu. Before coding I had Contact menu and now after coding I have Office menu on that place. So this is another point which confirm that I have software for cars with Combox.

Also we could write emails to BMW to inform them about this problem. Contact is here:

and

It won't void your warranty unless your coder bricks the ECU (highly unlikely).
      02-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #33
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:

- connect cable to car
- open NCSExpert
- select CIC ECU
- select Process ECU

You're the man! Now if only BMW techs were as diligent as you are
      02-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #34
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

What I posted above has nothing to do with what a dealer will or will not do, or much less about warranty repair or not, void or not. This is what -after reading the thread in the link that I posted- a forum member could do to fix his/her problem on his/her own.

Please read more carefully.

Quote:

and

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #35
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What I posted above has nothing to do with what a dealer will or will not do, or much less about warranty repair or not, void or not. This is what -after reading the thread in the link that I posted- a forum member could do to fix his/her problem on his/her own.

Please read more carefully.
Thanx for instructions

If my dealer won't find a solution, I will try this..

Quote:
It won't void your warranty unless your coder bricks the ECU (highly unlikely).

Will you try to fix with that procedure or will you wait for your dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #36
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Thanx for instructions

If my dealer won't find a solution, I will try this..

Will you try to fix with that procedure or will you wait for your dealer ?
going to try and code it out. I hate going to the dealer
      02-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #37
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
going to try and code it out. I hate going to the dealer
Please inform us with results. Good luck with coding

I have downloaded NCS Expert, if my dealer wont fix iDrive next week, I will try to fix it myself too

Last edited by Shakal; 02-26-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #38
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

This is a CODING issue. Like Technic said, the software/programming is correct, but the CIC is not coded properly. I have seen this a bunch of times. If the dealer reads faults on the car, they will see a CIC Coding error. The test plan will state that they need to re code the CIC. A simple re code of the CIC will fix this issue. Have seen this a bunch of times, and recoding fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #39
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
This is a CODING issue. Like Technic said, the software/programming is correct, but the CIC is not coded properly. I have seen this a bunch of times. If the dealer reads faults on the car, they will see a CIC Coding error. The test plan will state that they need to re code the CIC. A simple re code of the CIC will fix this issue. Have seen this a bunch of times, and recoding fixes the issue.
But my car was already coded twice and issue wasn't fixed... Next week I have appointment and I have told them that I probably have software for a car which has Combox, because it offers some online services, I have Office menu instead of Contacts etc. What should I tell them when I leave my car there ? Just to recode CIC again or make sure that it won't code software for a car which has Combox ? Thanx for help
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #40
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
But my car was already coded twice and issue wasn't fixed... Next week I have appointment, I have told them that I probably have software for a car which has Combox. What should I tell them when I leave my car there ? Just to recode CIC again or make sure that it won't code software for a car which has Combox ? Thanx for help
Did they actually CODE the car twice, or PROGRAM the car twice? If they just keep trying to program the car, its not going to fix it. They need to manually go into the Coding section of the software and select the CIC for CODING. If they are just programming it the normal way, this will not fix it.

Try to find out exactly what they did with this, the SA may be saying coding to you, but really talking about programming. Mosts SAs have no clue. Also if they read faults there will be a CIC Coding error fault, stating they need to code the car. When I have seen this issue, coding the CIC has fixed it 100% of the time. The tech is probably doing it wrong and trying to program the car again.

What they need to do is read faults, if that CIC Coding error fault is there, its going to tell them to Re-Code the CIC. If the Tech has any clue what he is doing, he will know how to properly code the CIC and your issue will be fixed.

Also do you have your previous repair order handy to see if it states exactly what they tried doing to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #41
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Did they actually CODE the car twice, or PROGRAM the car twice? If they just keep trying to program the car, its not going to fix it. They need to manually go into the Coding section of the software and select the CIC for CODING. If they are just programming it the normal way, this will not fix it.

Try to find out exactly what they did with this, the SA may be saying coding to you, but really talking about programming. Mosts SAs have no clue. Also if they read faults there will be a CIC Coding error fault, stating they need to code the car. When I have seen this issue, coding the CIC has fixed it 100% of the time. The tech is probably doing it wrong and trying to program the car again.

What they need to do is read faults, if that CIC Coding error fault is there, its going to tell them to Re-Code the CIC. If the Tech has any clue what he is doing, he will know how to properly code the CIC and your issue will be fixed.

Also do you have your previous repair order handy to see if it states exactly what they tried doing to fix it?
Thanx a lot I don't know a lot about this things..

First time they coded a car when I bought FRM3 and LCI's tail lights. Coding took about 6 hours. When I recieved a car Ive seen this issue with iDrive. I went back and they said they will code CIC again. It took about 1 hour, but issue wasn't fixed.

What suprised me is: After first coding, my iDrive menu went to German language and everything was like when I bought a car - I had to pair my phone with a car (via bluetooth) again, I had to choose English language etc. Next day after second coding (when they coded only CIC), my menu stayed in English language and my phone was still paired (via BT). That means that second time CIC wasn't coded, but they did only programming? Can you tell what is difference between coding and programming ?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #42
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanx a lot I don't know a lot about this things..

First time they coded a car when I bought FRM3 and LCI's tail lights. Coding took about 6 hours. When I recieved a car Ive seen this issue with iDrive. I went back and they said they will code CIC again. It took about 1 hour, but issue wasn't fixed.

What suprised me is: After first coding, my iDrive menu went to German language and everything was like when I bought a car - I had to pair my phone with a car (via bluetooth) again, I had to choose English language etc. Next day after second coding (when they coded only CIC), my menu stayed in English language and my phone was still paired (via BT). That means that second time CIC wasn't coded, but they did only programming? Can you tell what is difference between coding and programming ?
The simplest answer between Coding and Programming I can give is.

Programming is a software update. In any case, lets take yours. A recall for DME programming to update the software. Even though its just a DME update, every module that is not up to date also gets programmed if it needs it. Its basically like doing a Firmware update on your computer, router, or such.

Coding would be if a part/module was replaced. That module would need to be coded to the vehicle basically telling the vehicle that it has a new part with xxxx part #.

In the case of what is going on with the CIC issues. I do not know 100% what BMW did to cause this issue obviously some sort of glitch in the programming. But for me and everyone @ my dealer, a simple re code of the CIC has fixed this issue every single time. In your case, I didnt realize you are overseas, Im not sure how the Euro Software etc differs from here in the US, so maybe there is something else going on in your situation, or some other procedure. I doubt replacing the CIC would fix this issue, but I guess it could be possible. Its obviously a fault of the programming, but Im not sure what the tech is doing to fix the issue, or if he is even doing it correctly in your case.

Coding should not take 6 hours. When you had your car coded for the LCI tail lights, they must have programmed it as well, that would take 6 hours. So what the tech would do is, hook the car up for programming. The system will read the info from the car, and show what needs to be programmed. The tech would then manually go into the setting in the programming station and select a retrofit for the LCI tails and code that part. He probably didnt code the CIC @ that time.

The 2nd time Im unsure if he coded the CIC or not, its to hard to tell over the internet on what was done, unless I saw the printout from ISTA/P on what the tech did would tell me ALOT on if it was coded properly. He may have went in and coded the CIC, taking about an hour seems correct. Your settings may not change even if the CIC was coded. This should have fixed your issue, if its the same thing we have been experiencing in the states, which it seems to be dead on looking @ the pics and descriptions in these threads.

Would you mind PMing me your VIN, I want to look it up and see if there is any info in the history on what they may have done. I know alot of SAs mix up the terminology of Coding VS Programming which could cause a ton of misinformation.

The first step your dealer needs to do is read faults. If it is a coding issue, like I mentioned, there will be a CIC coding error fault
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 01:54 AM   #43
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanx for explanation, now I understand more what is programming and what is coding. Before I thought its a same thing. On bill I have specifications what they did:

- taillights + installation
- FRM 3 + installation
- oem retrofit cables
- programming

You're right, they didn't code but they programmed a car. I remember when I was asking about LCI's taillights installation, they said I need retrofit cables, FRM 3 and then they will install latest software on a car. Also dealer told me they don't have any influence what is updated - when they connect a car with their computer, it automatically decetcts what needs to be updated. So they updated probably everything.

That also means that second time they programmed CiC again. You said programming won't fix the issue. That gives me a lot of hope that coding will fix this issue

Quote:
The first step your dealer needs to do is read faults. If it is a coding issue, like I mentioned, there will be a CIC coding error fault
Second day I was at my dealer when they programmed a car. I remember when they finnished, one mecanic said to other, to delete errors if they exists. Other mecanic did something on computer and then he told me that my car doesn't have any errors.. Do you think it will show errors tommorow, despite they probably deteled them last time ?

Currently Im at work and Im with other car, so I don't have VIN number here. I can send when I'll be back at home.

Thanx a lot

Last edited by Shakal; 02-28-2011 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #44
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

I don't think that any errors will show in this particular case, that could be the reason that BMW keeps coding the wrong VO into the CIC worldwide right now.

By the way, the BMW Factory rep can fix for any customer this if the dealrship just call him/her up. After all, he/she uses NCSExpert...
Appreciate 0