E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW useless in snow !! Shite

11-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #23
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Can't wait to give my car it's first drive (first to me anyway) in the powder
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Dear, God. That much snow this early? I figured (wrongly, it appears) the Gulf Stream kept it temperate as it does London, even considering that Scotland's farther north. (Compare weather in north eastern Canada to London at the same parallel.)

I don't know where you are, I just thought Edinburgh and Aberdeen, being by the sea wouldn't get that kind of snow. Glasgow's inland some, but even so...just surprised...

...learn something every day...
I am in the north east between Aberdeen and Inverness. Apparently, according to the weather forecast last night, the gulf stream has been knocked of course. It has been bent like a banana and heads for the Arctic first then blows down over where I am. All I know is its -6 bloody freezing and about 9 inch of frigging snow. But hey my 335d is coping with it
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #25
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

We are currently in minus conditions here in Manchester, on the way home this evening it hit -4 but thankfully we haven't had any snow here yet.

However, this morning when I set off there was a thick layer of ground frost which last year had me slipping and sliding like a greasy weasel. That was on 17" Bridgestone runflats, now I'm on 19" Continental 5ps and even on the cold and frosty roads the car stuck like glue.

I'm well impressed with the Contis but can't wait to get the Vred Wintracs on now.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #26
rup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 - 23 Sdrive

Slight segway, given this is like the 4th cold winter in a row, proves what a pack of lies man made global warming is!!
Just another excuse to hike taxes.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #27
ddogg35
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 318i

Garage List
my dad and i just finished clearing the roads for tomorrow only to get 3 inches of snow an hour later needless to say ill be walking tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rup View Post
Slight segway, given this is like the 4th cold winter in a row, proves what a pack of lies man made global warming is!!
some people just dont seem to understand the concept of weather patterns and the gov is more then happy to extort us
      11-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesfinnie View Post
I can actually brake without shitting myself that I am going to hit something
Seems a good enough reason to be running on winter rubber to me!!
Glad the Avon ICE Ts are working out...same as I have...I am heading back home to Scotland next week.
      11-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #29
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Was -7 here this morning.
      11-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #30
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesfinnie View Post
I am in the north east between Aberdeen and Inverness. Apparently, according to the weather forecast last night, the gulf stream has been knocked of course. It has been bent like a banana and heads for the Arctic first then blows down over where I am. All I know is its -6 bloody freezing and about 9 inch of frigging snow. But hey my 335d is coping with it
Bloody Hell!!! Ain't 'alf cold up there is it? Not to be mean/selfish, but better there than here...

It's good to hear your car can cope; 9 inches is not a "light covering."

Last winter, we got over two feet in one storm. I'd not got snow shoes on the car by then and couldn't go anywhere until the snow was cleared completely. (Not that I didn't try once. I now know why folks think our cars are heavy...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #31
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rup View Post
For the the UK, and Western Europe, global warming is predicted cause colder weather not warmer. Your observations, in contravention of your assertion, would seem to bear that out.

The warmer weather melts the ice in the north and the ocean currents cause that no-longer-frozen, but still cold water into the Gulf Stream cooling it and reducing therefore the volume of relatively warmer air that reaches the North Atlantic.

To get a sense of how this can be so, check out http://environment.about.com/od/glob...ulf_stream.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #32
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

No-one has a clear idea of the local impact of global warming.

We know that the earth experiences cyclical cold periods (ice ages).

At various points in time the poles have been ice free and the earth has been a giant snowball.

It is a mistake to attribute current weather patterns to global warming in any case. Weather proves nothing either way.

The reality is CO2 levels are increasing due to mans activity and that no scientist can accurately predict how this will affect the earths cycle.

In effect we are in the midst of a massive unsupervised global man made experiment.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #33
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
...It is a mistake to attribute current weather patterns to global warming in any case.
While the preceding assertion begs for a cogent and valid inductive or deductive argument, it is instead followed by assertions implying that it, along with any other hypothesis, are as yet unproven. Accordingly there is no mistake at all.

Quote:
Weather proves nothing either way.
Inasmuch as weather is but a factual state that can be observed, I agree. Proof requires one do something with the observation.

Quote:
The reality is CO2 levels are increasing due to mans activity and that no scientist can accurately predict how this will affect the earths cycle.
There are more realities than those two.

Some of them are:
  • The northern ice cap is shrinking and Greenland's ice sheets are shrinking as well.
  • The net shrinkage flows into the northern oceans before it goes anywhere else and the melt from Greenland flows directly into the path of the Gulf Stream
  • The temperature of the Gulf Stream is higher than that of the melted ice and up to the point of the Stream's terminus whereat it is the same as the melted ice
  • Introducing cold water into a body of warmer water will cool the warmer water
  • Cooler water sinks
  • The Gulf Stream carries with it warm air as well as warm water (warm being a relative thing)
  • If the Gulf Stream cools before it reaches Northern Europe, it will not carry the warm air and water to that region
  • Looking at the average temperatures in the UK as compared with those at other equally northern spots on the globe, one observes the that typically, the UK is warmer
  • The single largest difference between Northwestern Europe (UK, Northern Spain, Holland, Northern France, etc.) and the other places at those lattitudes is that an immense ocean current of relatively warmer that waters persists off their shores
The above (not worthy of publication in an academic journal) leads me to conclude that melting ice from the North could cool the Gulf Stream, and Northwestern Europe (if not Western Europe) will experience colder weather. That colder winters are indeed being observed, if only in part of that region, may not entirely corroborate my conclusion, but it certainly cannot be said to refute it.

Quote:
In effect we are in the midst of a massive unsupervised global man made experiment.
"Unsupervised?" Since when? Though thousands of people may not play the controlling, bossy role supervisors sometime do, they are most certainly executing the observational and analytical roles of s supervisor. That two thirds of what supervisors do is being done is hardly a reason to call something "unsupervised."

I suspect you would like to witness more effective management and mitigation of man's impact on things like increasing levels of CO2. I would. It's pitiable to me that the economic gain of a few may some day cause the demise of nearly all life as we know it.

Were I "running things," I'd be obliged to do something. If a person arrives in the emergency room bleeding from the femoral artery, the doctors don't stand there and figure out why he's bleeding; they stop the bleeding. It could be (for the sake of argument) that the guy routinely goes through bouts of bleeding, but as the doctors have never seen him before, they don't know that. Even so, they don't wait for a panel to figure that out, and they don't cut more holes in the guys artery.

IMO the planet is bleeding and we are the only doctors around. Unlike humans, however, the planet seems to have a way to restore itself. The only problem with that is that when Mother Earth does that, thousands of species go extinct. If some of the species unable to survive her next correction are ones on which we depend, we'll be one of those departing species.

Last edited by tony20009; 11-28-2010 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: poor grammar
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #34
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Our BM is staying put until the weather warms.

When the other car is a Defender, it seems silly to take our chances in the World's worst snow car!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 03:51 AM   #35
nmack8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels & 4 Doors

Over night fall

All the neighbours got together yesterday and spent 3 -4 hours clearing the street and have to say I was going to give travelling to work today a go – that was until I got up and was faced with this little lot over night… Hmm, working from home today and probably tomorrow and…..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #36
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Thats just a light covering. Its amazing how a bit of snow stops us getting to work when in my Grandads day he used to walk three hundred miles through eight foot drifts to get there.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #37
BazzaB1971
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 318iSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Thats just a light covering. Its amazing how a bit of snow stops us getting to work when in my Grandads day he used to walk three hundred miles through eight foot drifts to get there.

mine also
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #38
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
In just his Vest!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #39
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
In just his Vest!
he couldnt afford a vest (or boots).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 07:21 AM   #40
focusse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90 awd View Post
can't wait to have that here with my xdrive zooooom zooom
++++11111
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #41
Shadow
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
he couldnt afford a vest (or boots).
Uphill! In both directions!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #42
Tunna_uk
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Thats just a bad frost (to quote my grandad)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #43
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
12.5+ days to get to work. that's nothing
      11-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #44
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
Two days later

Monday morning and it's just as bad
Attached Images