E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Vibration Problem

04-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Vibration Problem

The last couple of weeks I've noticed a subtle vibration coming through the accelerator pedal and left foot rest. Thought it would go on it's own accord but has persisted. It's not a big vibration, but noticeable and leaves the lower legs with a pins and needles effect. The car is not making any unusual noises, lacking power, etc. It doesn't seem to be due to tyres/suspension as the vibration persists when stationary or in park or neutral. Not speed dependent either. I notice that when I accelerate it alters somewhat, sort of a 'grainy' vibration through the pedals and steering.

After a couple of weeks or more it's starting to annoy me alot. Anyone notice anything similar or have any ideas as to what could be causing it???

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
tonykhar
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sp. 1996 Camaro SS

yeah,
Have you gone into a pothole lately? It doesn't have to be a big one. I'm assuming you have runflats. they the inner plastic structure bends and you get a bubble. You can take it in and have them rebalanced. It might help, but if its really bad they needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
c-hri-s
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC4J View Post
It doesn't seem to be due to tyres/suspension as the vibration persists when stationary or in park or neutral.
Umm ... probably not the tyres then.
2012 F10 535d M Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Piano Black Trim, 19" 351M, Sport Automatic Transmission, Reversing Assist Camera, Powered Boot Lid, Soft Close Doors, Folding/dimming mirrors, Elec. fr seats, Surround View, Heads-up display, BMW Business Speakers, M rear spoiler, Sun protection glass, Visibility pack, Media Package Pro
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Could be a lot of things, e.g. vibration damper on the engine failing, or loose engine mount. Best get it checked out just in case, because these things can get expensive quickly. I had a vibration once a few years ago which got progressively louder over about 20 miles. It turned out the harmonic damper on the crankshaft pulley had delaminated and knocked a hole in the front of the engine
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
tonykhar
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sp. 1996 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy View Post
Umm ... probably not the tyres then.
Guess I should of read the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-p View Post
Could be a lot of things, e.g. vibration damper on the engine failing, or loose engine mount. Best get it checked out just in case, because these things can get expensive quickly. I had a vibration once a few years ago which got progressively louder over about 20 miles. It turned out the harmonic damper on the crankshaft pulley had delaminated and knocked a hole in the front of the engine
I've just booked it in to the dealer. Soonest they can do is April 16th!!! They did say if it gets worse call Assist and they'll bring it in. Very helpful, NOT!!!

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC4J View Post
I've just booked it in to the dealer. Soonest they can do is April 16th!!! They did say if it gets worse call Assist and they'll bring it in. Very helpful, NOT!!!
I would call assist just out of principle!!

Get it in and sorted on monday
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
+1 on that!

My other half mentioned the same thing but on the passenger side - left him with pins and needles. I was going to get it checked out but then post re-map the vibration disappeared and has not returned since. Just checked with him and he is certain it is no longer there. Bit strange really. My first thoughts were some sort of rubber mounting/damping etc. possibly failing with the engine being a diesel?

Isn't there another BMW dealer close by who could fit you in sooner?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

Yep I wouldn't take the risk either after previous experiences. It could be really bad news later but easy to sort out now.
Appreciate 0