E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What can cause fuel trims to not work sometimes?

01-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #23
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
Thanks for your input, i will replace it to see if that fixes it...$250 for o2 sensor...damn!
The 02 sensors should only be around $125 each I believe. Can't remember exactly how much it was last time I swapped one out, but I know it was less than $250.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #24
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Do you remember where you got them from? $150 is whole lot cheaper compare to what I found
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #25
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaminz View Post
Do you remember where you got them from? $150 is whole lot cheaper compare to what I found
This looks like its Bosch which should be equivalent, $134.
http://www.bimmerpartswholesale.com/...al:1))&Vi=9724 4294962948 1580&y=2009&mk=BMW&md=335i

Tischer - $211.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #26
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I didn't get mine from either of these sources though so you will have to confirm they are the correct pieces. If I remember correctly, I got mine from World Pac as my shop has an account with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #27
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
I didn't get mine from either of these sources though so you will have to confirm they are the correct pieces. If I remember correctly, I got mine from World Pac as my shop has an account with them.
I see, Thanks for the info. So looks like Bank 2 Before cat O2 sensor is the gray one? $134 is steal compare to $250 Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Did replacing the O2 sensors fix the issue for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:47 PM   #29
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This is what I'm experiencing:

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #30
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Hmm. This was a long time ago, I can't remember if it fixed it then. But since then I still get the issue every now and then under different conditions. One thing I have noticed while running the Beta e85 maps that have been out for a while is that if my OL fueling is 98% or higher I almost always get an STFT cut out (goes to 0) at 5500 rpm in 4th gear if I'm going thru the gears at WOT.

What is your OL fueling set to?

I could have another bad O2 also. I have run a lot of leaded race gas, so it's definitely plausible. I'm going to change those out soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
The Ghost
Reborn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I've had the same thing happen. I found it happen when my OL fueling values were very high. Reducing these help reduce the frequency. I only had thus hen running e85 which required much more fuel. 61 OL fueling values post shift.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #32
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm. This was a long time ago, I can't remember if it fixed it then. But since then I still get the issue every now and then under different conditions. One thing I have noticed while running the Beta e85 maps that have been out for a while is that if my OL fueling is 98% or higher I almost always get an STFT cut out (goes to 0) at 5500 rpm in 4th gear if I'm going thru the gears at WOT.

I could have another bad O2 also. I have run a lot of leaded race gas, so it's definitely plausible. I'm going to change those out soon.
I'm running the E85 maps. I have OL set to 100%. I'll back it down to 95% and see if that helps. Now that I think about, I never had these issues when it was at 90%, although I was maxing out the fuel trims at that setting.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #33
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm running the E85 maps. I have OL set to 100%. I'll back it down to 95% and see if that helps. Now that I think about, I never had these issues when it was at 90%, although I was maxing out the fuel trims at that setting.
A little better at 95% but now my post-shift (6MT) AFRs are horrible. Maybe time to go back to just the regular gas maps and wait for more refined E85 maps.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
A little better at 95% but now my post-shift (6MT) AFRs are horrible. Maybe time to go back to just the regular gas maps and wait for more refined E85 maps.
If I recall correctly, Shiv did state that the STFTs would be very high post-shift in the mid range, then lower as the RPMs went up towards redline.

What kind of AFRs are you seeing?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #35
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Quote:
has ambient temps become cooler... I suspect more people will need to to remap / up OL due to the increased fuel demands.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Hmmmmm......

Interesting!

I had this issue crop up back in July.

Seems to spring up once in a blue moon.

First it was flatline timing.....now it looks like flatline fuel trims

What is going on?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

If the front o2 sensors were mixed up, the car wouldnt drive all that well and eventually throw a CEL.
      09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
dirtmaster666
"J" BONE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe
Quote:

I get the same issue as georgiatech. Mind also happens intermittently. I'm also getting misfire so I starting with plug change then could if still persist. Tfen on to sensors and possibly injectors. Hopefully do
Ethiopia g in there fixes the problem
procede v5 rev3, afe dual cone intake, full catless exhaust with muffler delete, hm style carbon fibre lip, 235/35/19,275/30/19 satin black linea corse818, H&R sport springs, Vishnu charge pipe with forged diverter valves, matte black kidneys, mtec superwhite angel eyes and fogs, bms cdv ER fmic, VRSF coated DP. Vishnu pwm meth kit
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #39
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
For the record, I have replaced the spark plugs and coils and the issue persists. Injectors are properly coded. I have also lowered OL fueling to 95%.

Here are some more logs (all on Map 1, conservative boost setting). Meth logs look slightly better but I want to get these issues resolved first before I look into those. Got a couple of "engine malfunction, reduced power" warnings during these pulls.
  • In the first one, you can see post-shift AFRs are extremely lean and they enrichen only to spike to lean values again. Fuel trims are maxed out at +34%.
  • The second log shows similar AFR oscillations that are very concerning.
  • Third log removed (scaling issue).

Last edited by NiVeDh; 09-11-2012 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #40
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

This is the problem with biasing. Piggies require a little more attention to ensure the car is running correctly.

Nivedh: Firstly, click each channel and press "p" and make sure that the scaling is equal for the overylays.

Second, lowing your OL will reduce the rail pressure and cause you to max trims more easily. Reset all adaptations and do a few 3rd gear pulls again. Your trim issues can be caused by wonky adaptations from the "Agressive" gasoline maps.

If the above persists and you consistantly max trims, then the OL cells need to be raised. I havn't looked at the e85 maps, but I assume the values are quite high and therefore little wiggle room is available before you get a LP code. In which case, you'll likely need a flash to change the DME fuel targets and then let the procede handle the rest.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #41
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
This is the problem with biasing. Piggies require a little more attention to ensure the car is running correctly.

Nivedh: Firstly, click each channel and press "p" and make sure that the scaling is equal for the overylays.

Second, lowing your OL will reduce the rail pressure and cause you to max trims more easily. Reset all adaptations and do a few 3rd gear pulls again. Your trim issues can be caused by wonky adaptations from the "Agressive" gasoline maps.

If the above persists and you consistantly max trims, then the OL cells need to be raised. I havn't looked at the e85 maps, but I assume the values are quite high and therefore little wiggle room is available before you get a LP code. In which case, you'll likely need a flash to change the DME fuel targets and then let the procede handle the rest.
The scaling was the issue for the third log (editing my post now). For some reason, doing it in the software had no effect and I had to go in and change it in the .ini file.

The issue that persists is the post-shift AFR oscillations.

You are saying lowering OL will fix those, even if it means maxing out fuel trims? Seems a little counter-intuitive but I can definitely try it out.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #42
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
The scaling was the issue for the third log (editing my post now). For some reason, doing it in the software had no effect and I had to go in and change it in the .ini file.

The issue that persists is the post-shift AFR oscillations.

You are saying lowering OL will fix those, even if it means maxing out fuel trims? Seems a little counter-intuitive but I can definitely try it out.
No he said lower OL settings will cause you to max out your fuel trims more easily....which is part of the problem.

You should definitely reload firmware and software and reset your adaptations.

Then try running OL = 100 and see if things improve.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #43
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Hi, please give me some feedback on that.

My bank 2 fuel trims get 30-32 when meth is on and bank 1 fuel trims look normal. But there is some oil burnt from the left exhaust (bank 2) because of oil burning from the rear turbo. Could that oil coming from the turbo change the fuel trims?
      09-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #44
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

NiVeDh, reset your adaptions and do another log. I'm assuming you are doing 3-4 gear pulls? Try to stay in 4th for as long as you can do it safely. Also, stop with the granny shifting, lol.
Appreciate 0