E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 328xi oil change ? How much Oil

08-07-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Ndx
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335i

E90 328xi oil change ? How much Oil

Hi Guys,

I read that it takes 6.5L ( 6.9 Quarts )

I added 7L ( 7.5 Quarts ) and its still doesn't read Max .. its below max ..
Should I remove the extra oil and Ignore the OIL level that computer reads ?

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

6.9 qts is what it takes. Make sure the car is warmed up, give it some gas while in park not to exceed 3k rpm, blip it a few times or take it around the corner for a quick spin and check the oil level. Do not put more than that, sometimes the computer take some time to give correct readings and check it few times when your driving it, it will fluctuate here and there but shouldnt be a wide range and then it will settle at one spot.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Take and average of three measurements

The thing is not instantaneous and and seems to average out over three or four drives . Its also temperature sensitive. In 100 degree weather mine read halfway down. Then again on the same day in the evening going home at an outside temp it or 80 it reads full again. Don't overfill.
I would rather have a dipstick or have a dipstick to.

Looks like you almost have to measure what comes out to know what to put in plus
add a little based on what the reading is at a specific temperature altitude and time of day.

If the bar graph reads over half full I would do several drives . Then add like a .25 quart at a time till do another 4 drives and repeat till it reads full.

Last edited by ctuna; 08-07-2011 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Ndx
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I did drive around block checked like 10 times ... after drive before etc ,..

It has 7L now 7.5 Quarts still says not full I guess I will drain a bit tmrw
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Go for about three highway drives

It does more than measure the level unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Ndx
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Hey,

Yes ... I drained that half litter .. ( I drove it maybe for 5 keys over filled not to hard .. so I don't think that their will be any damage .. )

But it still shows same level after 10 km driven lol ...

Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
iflyjetzzz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Ndx, here's my thread on my latest oil change: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559730

Note that it took a couple of days & at least a dozen separate drives where the computer took a new reading of my oil level.

It seems like the oil sensor takes a very long time to give a valid reading for some people - for others it's pretty much instantaneous.

As for your original question on how much oil the car holds, my indy mechanic's database states that my 2008 328i takes 6L; ~6.4 quarts.

I don't think that your overfill was a problem - but don't take my opinion as anything other than that from an old guy who likes to tinker with cars. If your car holds 6L like mine, you overfilled by 1L (~1 qt). I don't think that it's enough of an overfill to cause any oil foaming problems. I don't know where you'd start to have problems but my old wrenchbender unscientific guess is 2+ L overfill will start seeing oil foaming issues.

Here's my suggestion to you for the next oil change. Put in 6L next time. If your car does in fact hold 6.5L, you will register 1/2 L low within a few days. 1/2 L low is still within tolerances for the car. Perhaps you'll slowly see the oil move to less than full between changes - my car seems to be very good about not burning oil so I haven't seen a drop between oil changes.
If your car stays at full, like mine did a couple of changes ago when I used 6.5qts, go with 5.5L on the following change. Again, if you're 1/2 L low, it'll show up on your oil readings in a couple of days after changing the oil ... and again, still within tolerances.
I think that you will find that your car actually hold 6L, in spite of what Bentley says. After all, my indy mechanic's manuals must have gotten that number from somewhere and it wouldn't be the first time that incorrect data's been widely disseminated about a car's capacities, etc.

That said, it seems like the 335i holds a full 6.5L of oil from what I've read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndx View Post
Hey,

Yes ... I drained that half litter .. ( I drove it maybe for 5 keys over filled not to hard .. so I don't think that their will be any damage .. )

But it still shows same level after 10 km driven lol ...

Thx
You'll need to drive a lot more than 10km to get an accurate reading. Give it 150+km and a couple of days before doing anything.
Appreciate 0