E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best spring pairing for BMW performance suspension kit?!?

12-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)

Best spring pairing for BMW performance suspension kit?!?

This has probably been talked about time and time again but couldn't find a definitive answer whilst using

So basically I would like to know which springs would work best with this kit (the clearance kit from tisher without the yellow springs). I've heard most use eibach to match up with stock spring rates but the eibach spring rates are much less than the bmw performance yellow spring rates. I would like to get a set of springs that match the springs rates of said performance yellow springs. The eibach multi-pro-r1 springs rates almost match perfectly but it's a coil-over system and I only need springs. Anybody have any recommendations? I read a short review about a member using the eibach sport springs with this kit but was wondering if their were any other better options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....
      12-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

Also, keep in mind I'm going to purchase 19" Morr VS8.2's as well and don't to go ridiculously low because I'm not wanting to do a fender roll and don't want any rubbing....Please advise e90 contingent!!
      12-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

nobody? seriously?!?
      12-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
335timb
New Member no longer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Sedan

Spring Rate Matchup?

The yellow spring DO HAVE higher spring rates, yes, but they are NOT matched with the old 'performance dampers.' The first generation performace dampers (the Tischer sale dampers) were designed to go with the stock sport package springs, that is why you see a lot of us matching them with Eibach Pro-kit springs--Those sprigs ARE close to the stock sport package in terms of spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

In my experience the yellow perf springs are a good match with the perf dampers and the 14mm rear sway. This emulates the old euro M system. BMW legal is loathe to endorse parts that are not idiot-proof (read: boring understeer) and good with rfts and open differential.

Bottom line here is that the perf dampers are stiffer and hence warrant stiffer springs. The yellow perf springs are a modest increase, about 10% (rear) and 25% (front) more than ZSP. Very little reduction in suspension travel/drop, about 5-10mm. Some of the other options are pretty close to this.

I have been hoping that Harold or someone as experienced would chime in and provide a source for higher quality (better alloy -> lighter weight, more travel) springs. Do we know if Swift, Hyperco, or similar make springs in appropriate sizes to fit the OEM setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the comments and the discussion guys. I wish more would chime in here. I think this would be a good thread to keep going because it seems that a LOT of us are buying this kit being as it's so cheap. It would be good to hear the experiences of the members here on which springs they put with the system and how they work. Also, spring manufacturers could intervene here and state their case for why we should use their springs. Just saying, this thread could be beneficial to a lot of people.
      12-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Babydragon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Even though I'm a spurs fan, I'll jump in on the gooners thread.
Any you are right, this is a beneficial thread to keep going, seeing that most if the forum is about wheels and drops.
Does anyone what a good pairing is for hnr sport springs on an XI? I've heard the bilstein sports are the best? Any one verify, have pics, or use this setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey mods, wanna turn this into a sticky?!?! Best spring/suspension set-up pairings?!?! Could be very useful for people looking to lower their car. Why isn't there one already?!?
      12-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
DieselDiner
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I have been hoping that Harold or someone as experienced would chime in and provide a source for higher quality (better alloy -> lighter weight, more travel) springs. Do we know if Swift, Hyperco, or similar make springs in appropriate sizes to fit the OEM setup?
Doc, do you or anyone on the board have enough of a relationship to ask him to participate in the thread and share his thoughts? Or, if he prefers, he could start a thread in the vendor section and work through it that way. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

Cmon people keep this thread alive!!
      01-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #11
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

I am going to get flamed for saying this but if I had the chance to do it all over again, I would use the Tischer kit with the oem ZSP springs with half a coil cut off them...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1 View Post
I am going to get flamed for saying this but if I had the chance to do it all over again, I would use the Tischer kit with the oem ZSP springs with half a coil cut off them...
lol....no way bro!! cutting springs is the WORST thing you could ever do, but judging by your initial comment I'm sure you already know that!

01-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Radu83
Rep
Drives: E90 320d M Sport Aut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post
lol....no way bro!! cutting springs is the WORST thing you could ever do, but judging by your initial comment I'm sure you already know that!

A bit of useful information , ill do my best to write in english so you can actually understand what im saying here . So..after lots of research on this forum i bought the peformance kit ( only dampers ) as i have the sport sway bar front from my OEM sport suspension kit . I wanted to match with with H&R 35/20 mm springs but i found that they use "one size fits all" as spring rate . Then i went to my dealer and asked him to check the OEM spring table for "performance suspension" based on the VIN of my car and the spring table program asked for a lot of information about the car ( gearbox , wheels , sport seats ...etc even if i have armrest and cd changer ) only after i put in all the options the program gave me the yellow perf springs T2 . I ordered them , installed and so far i can see improvement in handling and a stiffer ride than OEM Sport Susp . As for the lowering i wish it could be more , only 10 mm front and none on the rear axle and without measuring you cant really tell its lowered . If i would do it again i would go for aftermarket springs so my car could sit lower .

Last edited by Radu83; 01-10-2011 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
B3AST
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks for the info radu
      01-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #15
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Definitely interested in this as well; my performance dampers and ZSP sways will be going on in the spring (non-zsp e90), now just the springs left to be determined.

I'd obviously want to go with yellow performance springs (with lower rates than recommended for my car for added drop), but at $320 + I think i'll pass.

I'm instead leaning towards ZSP springs with lower rates than recommended for my car (i.e. I have an AT E90, I'll buy springs from an MT E92), should sit a bit lower. They're also very cheap second-hand.

I'd buy H&R Sport if someone can chime in and say it's worked well for them for xx time/miles. I really like the drop H&R Sports provide but won't want them on my car if it means my suspension will suffer. From what I've read, ZSP springs (due to being recommended height for the shocks) will wear my shocks less than anything else, and I won't have to worry about swapping/buying/selling springs an extra time when it comes time to sell my car.

PS I have a set of E90 M3 springs (rates x1/x2) that I'd sell for cheap, pm if interested.

PPS WTF Arsenal; painful to watch today
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
virk007
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
bump. Anyone recommend Eibach pro kit springs with the old perf suspension?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
i dont know if im buying all this spring rate stuff, for normal and even spirited street driving i would be willing to bet there is not much difference. how can it be ok to use bilstien and koni dampers with any spring but if you use sachs its a no no. i had eibach sportlines with pro dampers. how could these pro dampers be matched to the pro kit and the sportline springs? the ride was stock sport quality, i am willing to bet the performance dampers, or even stock sport dampers, would have performed equally as well with the eibach springs for normal or spirited driving. i say get the springs you want i regret getting sportlines after it was all said and done i would get h&r race or cheap coils, like st or fk, if i were to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #18
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
bump. Anyone recommend Eibach pro kit springs with the old perf suspension?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
AUChris9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sedan

Any more recommendations for those running the old performance package. How do they ride with the new performance springs. I see one comment about it riding stiffer but is it also stiffer for everyday driving or just in turns? Trying to find a good balance for performance and comfort and don't necessarily want to go as low as eibach.
Appreciate 0