E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Recall Clearance Letter

02-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
machine
is also an E46 Fanatic
Canada
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

Recall Clearance Letter

For people that have had one issued... is this what the letter is supposed to look like?

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
///M3Lover
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04WhiteM3

I remember looking at it when I imported my friend's BMW 2001 330ci.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
MX5ToE9?
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
Hey Machine,

I think your importing from the US and bought it from a dealer, right? When I purchased my car from a US Dealer (August 2007) I asked the dealer to run a Warranty Inquiry Report (WIR), basically lists if any open recalls are on the car, and asked them to address any open campaigns and issue me a clean WIR before i would complete the purchase. I used the WIR as my recall lettter, not sure if things have change since 2007, but RIV accepted the WIR.
Had: 1999 E46
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
machine
is also an E46 Fanatic
Canada
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

^ Thanks. Thats the letter I have. It says "no open campaigns."

I guess if it worked for others in the past, I should for me too.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Blackadder
Captain Blackadder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInToronto View Post
That's such horseshit on their part!! I got my WIR from a huge dealership in the MidWest.

But I don't know if a border state dealership would have given me a WIR.

But think about it --- why should a customer buy a used car without a WIR? The WIR represents the service history of the vehicle. Thankfully, the RIV also accepts it in lieu of the recall letter.

I wouldn't buy a used BMW without knowing what it's been through during it's early lease term. And the WIR gave me that peace of mind.
The dealership in Bellevue showed me the WIR but said that they couldn't release it. It says clearly on the top of the WIR that is it not to be given to customers.

I agree, it is total BS, but my anger is towards BMW Canada and towards RIV for buying into their request.

RIV wouldn't accept a letter written in the same manner as post #1.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
The dealership in Bellevue showed me the WIR but said that they couldn't release it. It says clearly on the top of the WIR that is it not to be given to customers.

I agree, it is total BS, but my anger is towards BMW Canada and towards RIV for buying into their request.

RIV wouldn't accept a letter written in the same manner as post #1.
well, yes it is all BMW and Transport Canada doing their usual bit to protect their Canada sales.

I did check my WIR and it does say "not to be shared with 3rd parties, unless required by law".

Here's the problem --- let's say you have to sell the car and you find a private party buyer. In the absence of a WIR, how does this new buyer know what is the service history of the car?

BMW Canada doesn't give a shit about their customers. And if they release a WIR to BMW Canada customers who buy in Canada, that's discriminatory.
Appreciate 0