E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E91 335i Coilovers

08-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #1
LotusBMW
Fast Wagoner
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i | E36 M3 and more...

E91 335i Coilovers

I have a wagon and want to understand what options there are for coil over suspension. I love a fast, stealth wagon and I'm sure there are others out there the same. So what solutions have you found?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

What do you want from coilovers? Why coilovers? What's your goal? What's your budget? What's your stock setup?

Have you done any research?
      08-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
LotusBMW
Fast Wagoner
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i | E36 M3 and more...

I did do a fair bit of research, but it would appear not thoroughly enough. The 335 wasn't an E91 option in the US so this did confuse things a little. Here is a brief I've written to TMS to assist me in finding what I need....Let me know what you think.

They sent me this link http://www.turnermotorsport.com/sear...SearchId=72751

I've got a fairly clear path on power and reliability mods for my 335 and will end up with approx 250rwkw, but now to plan for handling. First up I'll be installing a Quaife ATB LSD. No rear drive car is complete without an LSD. The suspension is an area I'm unsure of in this car. It's a daily, will never see the track so comfort is a priority. That said I will want my fun in the twisties or even on the greasy roads on the way to work each day. The car needs to have enough suspension control (and steering accuracy) to hold power slides and ideally quell any axle tramp (during wheel spin off the line) that may exist. I have a fair bit of track experience in a highly modified Nissan Skyline R32 GTR and a 996 GT3 Porker – just so you know what my reference points are . I’m favouring coilovers as they are height adjustable which means you can dial the height to be exactly what you want and they will accommodate changes in wheels / tyres in the future (I’m a compulsive modifier).

The more I read the forums the more I keep coming across rear subframe bushes (either urethane inserts or M3), swaybars, and even M3 suspension arms / bush up grades. It would be great if you could comment on what you recommend of these in conjunction with the coilovers. To me the rear subframe bushes are a must, the sway bars are a possibility but I’m wondering if I’ve gone too far with M3 suspension arms.

In selecting the coilovers, I need to consider budget as I suspect coilovers on their own may not be the full solution. The choices you’ve outlined range a lot in price. I think these are the best option for me http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-33...uspension.aspx but PLEASE feel free to tell me what you think.

As I said, it’s a daily driver and I’ll have the wife and kids in it from time to time, so it’s a matter of balancing comfort with handling which is not an easy thing to judge.
Appreciate 0