E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Visiting Seattle

01-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep
Drives: your mom wild.

Visiting Seattle

Hi guys,
I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some advice for my trip to Seattle. I should be in town next weekend. This will be my first time in Seattle, and its a very short trip (arriving Saturday and leaving Monday), and I'm trying to take in as much as possible. I haven't booked a hotel yet. Can anyone tell me where the best part of town would be to stay in, to see all the touristy stuff? I won't have a car, so I'm going to pretty much rely on public transportation. How is the public transportation? Is it safe? or should I rent a car? Any suggestions on place I must see/do/eat? Sorry for all the noob questions, I'm just trying to make the most out of this trip.
Should I be prepared for mostly rain on my trip?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions! And I hope you guys can help out a fellow E90post member
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
hookandpull
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

The Public transit is one of the best in the country although I still think you should rent a car... There is Pike Place market which is standard there is also the Boeing factory in Everett which I think is a must see it's the #1 tour in America and the factroy is by far the largest building in the world. You should hop on a ferry if you can and there is a new ferris wheel on the piers (I believe it's the second tallest in the country). The weather looks to be pretty shitty next weekend so that totally sucks but there is a ton to do. But if you want to see touristy stuff I would put the Boeing tour on the top of your list. I have been in every state (lived in 5) seen almost all this country has to offer and the Boeing tour is my top 5 coolest touristy things I have seen. But I have a deep appreciation for things manufactured being that I work for Booeing lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookandpull View Post
The Public transit is one of the best in the country although I still think you should rent a car... There is Pike Place market which is standard there is also the Boeing factory in Everett which I think is a must see it's the #1 tour in America and the factroy is by far the largest building in the world. You should hop on a ferry if you can and there is a new ferris wheel on the piers (I believe it's the second tallest in the country). The weather looks to be pretty shitty next weekend so that totally sucks but there is a ton to do. But if you want to see touristy stuff I would put the Boeing tour on the top of your list. I have been in every state (lived in 5) seen almost all this country has to offer and the Boeing tour is my top 5 coolest touristy things I have seen. But I have a deep appreciation for things manufactured being that I work for Booeing lol.
Thanks for the suggestions! I didn't realize Boeing was in Seattle. I definitely want to see that. As for renting a car, is it possibly to see all the places you listed without a car and using public trans? Unless I really have to, I rather not rent a car because I don't want to deal with hotel parking and such. Any idea which part of town I should stay in? How far is the airport from the center of everything?
Also weather.com is showing sunny but partly cloudy with a 20% chance of rain, should I not believe that? I know they could be wrong at times, just wasn't sure how off they would be.

Thanks for all the advice!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Downtown seattle for sure, or eastside is nice as well (downtown bellevue). Like hook mentioned above, I would still recommend a car, maybe one or two of the days just so you can go places freely. I've honestly only been on the public transit in the greater seattle area once or twice and its not as easy as NYC or even NJ transportation.

What kind of food are you interested in? There are tons of great restaurants in downtown from sushi to steak and everything in between. If you're a fan of seafood you'll be in for a treat.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
btw, Seattle could be raining in the middle of summer. Come prepared, weather right now is pretty cold/ partly sunny. Next week it could be snowing for all we know.

The airport is about 20-30 minutes from downtown seattle, and about the same to downtown bellevue
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
Downtown seattle for sure, or eastside is nice as well (downtown bellevue). Like hook mentioned above, I would still recommend a car, maybe one or two of the days just so you can go places freely. I've honestly only been on the public transit in the greater seattle area once or twice and its not as easy as NYC or even NJ transportation.

What kind of food are you interested in? There are tons of great restaurants in downtown from sushi to steak and everything in between. If you're a fan of seafood you'll be in for a treat.
Quote:
btw, Seattle could be raining in the middle of summer. Come prepared, weather right now is pretty cold/ partly sunny. Next week it could be snowing for all we know.

The airport is about 20-30 minutes from downtown seattle, and about the same to downtown bellevue
Thanks for the advice!

I guess I'll look into a rental. Should I rent the car from the airport or is it easier to take the public transportation from the airport into downtown Seattle then rent a car in town?

As far as food goes.. I'm a huge food. I could go for anything, including food trucks. I want to try stuff that I can't get back East. Food thats unique to Seattle or something you feel is a "must eat"
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I guess I'll look into a rental. Should I rent the car from the airport or is it easier to take the public transportation from the airport into downtown Seattle then rent a car in town?

As far as food goes.. I'm a huge food. I could go for anything, including food trucks. I want to try stuff that I can't get back East. Food thats unique to Seattle or something you feel is a "must eat"
you've had nyc/ nj hotdogs, now you gotta try seattle monster hotdogs! lol Theres a few zip car locations in downtown, how much luggage do you have?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you've had nyc/ nj hotdogs, now you gotta try seattle monster hotdogs! lol Theres a few zip car locations in downtown, how much luggage do you have?
Just one carry on and one check in luggage. Nothing crazy. Monster Hotdog? thats your food suggestion.

I found a rental from the airport for $38 for the weekend. Doesnt include insurance, but I think my credit card has car rental insurance if I use it. This might be cheaper than using a Zip Car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
andybui82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

for food. bent burgr, katsu burger, and paseos cuban sandwiches.
      01-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #10
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92
Quote:
Just one carry on and one check in luggage. Nothing crazy. Monster Hotdog? thats your food suggestion.

I found a rental from the airport for $38 for the weekend. Doesnt include insurance, but I think my credit card has car rental insurance if I use it. This might be cheaper than using a Zip Car.
Haha that seems like a good deal for the rental. Haha aside from hotdogs paseos is good. Dicks burgers are awesome (we don't have White Castle or in and out here so we do with dicks). Pho here is way better than over in New York. Crap pot for animal style seafood (you eat with a fork and mallet), not the best but its worth a visit. Saltys on alki (downtown seattle waterfront) brunch is pretty good. My favorite sushi joint in Seattle is japonesa and musashis. If you've heard of jiro dreams of sushi the famous sushi man in Japan, shiros sushi is the apprentice of jiro. Elliot's oyster house is a must. The metropolitan is the place to go for steak (John howie steak house is better but that's in Bellevue).

Here's a link to the seattlemet. Lots of great articles on here for things to do and places to eat in Seattle.

http://www.seattlemet.com/eat-and-drink/best-restaurants-2012/articles/best-restaurants-2012
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Crab pot* also forgot about wasabi bistro and umi's sake house, both sushi restaurants.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
hookandpull
Lieutenant
Rep

Definitely rent a car at the airport and when they say partly cloudy it actually means cloudy and 20% chance of rain means its gonna rain lol
19" DPE GT7's, BMS DCI, AA 3" catless downpipes, AE catless catback, JB4 G5, ETS 7" FMIC, AR Charpipe with dual -10 meth injector bungs, HFS4 Aquamist meth kit, Alpina TCU flash, M3 pedals, LED interior kit...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
pzkpfwIV
US Infantry
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328Xi

If you like sushi, go to Shiro's. Amazing stuff. Feierabend is the place to go for good Kraut beer.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

I'm getting mixed advice (from some people outside of this forum too) Some people are telling not to get a rental car and that I don't really need it, and some people are telling me to its better to get a rental. I was originally quoted $38 for the two days, does anyone know what else I would have to pay for the rental car?

How inconvenient and expensive is the public transportation?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
hookandpull
Lieutenant
Rep

Public transit is good if you don't plan on leaving downtown at all but if your only here a couple days do you wanna waste most of your time riding a bus? If you wanna check out Boeing and Bellevue and whatever else your best bet is a rental car end of story.
19" DPE GT7's, BMS DCI, AA 3" catless downpipes, AE catless catback, JB4 G5, ETS 7" FMIC, AR Charpipe with dual -10 meth injector bungs, HFS4 Aquamist meth kit, Alpina TCU flash, M3 pedals, LED interior kit...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
MyE92
El Presidente
United_States
Rep

I guess I'll keep my car rental. How's the nightlight in Seattle? Any suggestions on bars/lounges that I should check out?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
hookandpull
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyE92
I guess I'll keep my car rental. How's the nightlight in Seattle? Any suggestions on bars/lounges that I should check out?
Nightlife is pretty good you can't throw a rock without hitting an uber hipster bar or a pub. There is a fairly decent amount of pubs that I know of just in the pike place area alone but I am a pub kinda guy
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #18
andybui82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
capital hill, belltown
      01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
pzkpfwIV
US Infantry
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328Xi

Bars? Go to Pikes Place and start walking down 2nd. Everything is a bar.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #20
.Lindsay.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 vert, B5 S4

I just skimmed through this thread and didnt see too many lodging recommendations (my bad if this has already been covered and i just didnt see it). I'm a big fan of the Westin. Centrally located (walking distance to Pikes Place) and rooms are nice.

Quote:
Salumi!! http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/

As seen here on Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations:
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
hookandpull
Lieutenant
Rep

^ Yeah good call on Westin... The Crab Pot is pretty good although there is better seafood throughout Seattle The Crab Pot has the best Dungeness crab out of any place that I have had in the area. Dungeness crab is a must eat while you are here and The Crab Pot is the best place IMO for Dungeness crab. Dont bother eating anything else there though lol. The Crab pot is right on the pier within walking distance from Pike Place
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
pratan158
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

go to i <3 sushi in bellevue. its a great sushi place
Appreciate 0