E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Do you consider the question 'how much?' rude?

09-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits135i View Post
The issue is NOT at a car meet talking with an car enthusiasts that might want the same thing on his car! Its some jack hole on the street trying claim his shit is better measuring his dong... At a car meet I would expect that. This context is different!

So you have never been told by someone who ask you what you paid for something and you tell them. Then the guy says well I could have got that cheaper or wow you could have bought this instead of that for less... or something similar to that? If you say no, you are a liar! Another good reason I just ignore or ask questions like bra size.

Here is one of my bra stories... I was in one of my Lotus cars and a jack hole M3 owner got out of his car with his dumb blond GF laughing and watching (assuming he must of said something about my car to her) going I can smoke you. What did you spend on that piece of shit when my car for half the cost can smoke you. Come on tell me, what did you pay for that??? I looked at him right in his eye and said "tell me your GF bra size and I will tell you." He got back in his car and drove away slowly.

Its all about attitude man... Be a dick and I guarantee I will be worst back.
The OP said cars and coffee so it was a car meet. Plus the story you describe is a TOTALLY different situation than what the OP is describing. In your story the guy is being a dick even before he asks what you paid. I wouldn't even talk to that guy to start with.

My point being the context in the OP story doesn't (to me) show any reason to be upset about it. OP doesn't even seem to like it when people ask him on the forums.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #46
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Cars and Coffee events are hotbeds for uninformed douchebags in my experience.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #47
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

I think it all depends on how the person says it. You can usually tell if people are being malicious or rude.

Pics of wheels??? Very curious. If they really are something unique and special then I can see why the guy asked. But, like I said before, depends on the tone of the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #48
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Cars and Coffee events are hotbeds for uninformed douchebags in my experience.
This is the truth.

Its not necessarily something to get worked up over, but it is annoying. There's better things to talk about than price.

I am more interested in answering questions about my cars specs. If someone is seriously so inclined to know how much I spent on MY car, its pretty simple to go home and look things up on google.

Hit me with questions that pertain to my vehicle. Is it lowered? What is it lowered on, what kind of spring rates are you utilizing, how much more responsive is it now in an apex?

Questions like, how much did you pay for this or that is for uninformed people. More than likely they will not purchase the same thing, and even more than likely they don't have any educated questions to ask, so why feed the trolls?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #49
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
My point being the context in the OP story doesn't (to me) show any reason to be upset about it. OP doesn't even seem to like it when people ask him on the forums.
I'm not upset about it per se, I just find it extremely rude..hence why I started this thread. Like Billup says, how about you ask about specs instead of prices? I can tell you all kinds of stuff about the car/mods, yet money is the first thing this guy asks about in my example?

Like I said earlier, when someone asks me what something cost me, I feel like i'm either a.) going to be judged based on the money I spend on stuff or b.) get told that I paid too much/they could've gotten a better price.

and for whoever asked, I have P40SCs.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #50
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Would you ask a bikini-clad woman on the beach what her bra size is? It has nothing to do with being American, it has to do with being classless.
Yeah, you just purposely underestimate the bandsize....you can get away with it
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #51
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I agree with OP. I think its strange/rude to ask how much something cost. I would NEVER ask this myself because 1. I have tact and 2. I can easily find out this information on my own without prying. I hate when random people ask how much my car cost me...wtf difference does it make?

But if its something custom with no market value (i.e. you had a certain repair/modification done or service performed) then I think its ok as most people are generally looking for a ballpark figure in order to compare.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #52
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

How much did you pay for that?

How much do you make a year?

Who are you voting for?

etc...etc.., i dont take offense, i answer honestly. I'm not a punk b!tch. I have nothing to hide. I dont easily get offended like most people.
      09-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #53
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I'm also willing to bet that you're no older than 22.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #54
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Doesn't bother me. When I purchased my S2000 back in 1999, I got that question a lot. (Usually right after I was asked if its a Porsche.) I'd just tell them what the MSRP was.

Lately I've been chatting with the neighbors a lot about how much their landscaping cost, trying to figure out a good company to go with. (It's a new development, the houses only have dirt lots right now.)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #55
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I get asked a lot how much I paid for my camera gear. People who arent photographers love to make fun of how much I paid because they don't understand it.Yeah 4 grand for a camera is a lot, but when I bought the camera brand new in 2008 it was the best sports camera on the market and thats what I was into shooting at the time, plus photography is my job in the military and the military doesnt like to update equipment. Fast forward 5 years and its significantly out of date, but still a good camera. It doesn't shoot video, but in 2008 that wasn't a big deal in professional level cameras. However people still see a big camera, big lenses, and other equipment and are quick to ask how much and judge.

With my BMW I found people's reactions interesting when I got it. A lot of people including my bosses, asked how much it was and after looking at it would say something along the lines of "thats too rich for me" or "you could have gotten something more practical/better gas mileage/newer. I still don't understand that, what happened to having dreams of owning stuff thats out of reach? Isn't that the motivation to work harder and get a better paying job? Isn't that what capitalism is all about?
      09-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #56
TX_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 M3

would you consider it rude if the question was asked in this manner?

"how much does something like this cost?"

Its not neccarily asking you how much you paid, but similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #57
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I don't find that as offensive.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #58
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_M3 View Post
would you consider it rude if the question was asked in this manner?

"how much does something like this cost?"

Its not neccarily asking you how much you paid, but similar.
Its the same thing! They are trying to find out your worth without being so direct.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #59
kihun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

I don't understand why you would be offended if somebody asked you how much you got the wheels for? did you steal it or something? If you were asked how much is your income, that's more understanding. I guess we are all different.
      09-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #60
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
A lot of people including my bosses, asked how much it was and after looking at it would say something along the lines of "thats too rich for me" or "you could have gotten something more practical/better gas mileage/newer. I still don't understand that, what happened to having dreams of owning stuff thats out of reach? Isn't that the motivation to work harder and get a better paying job? Isn't that what capitalism is all about?
Perception and ignorance can create a weird dynamic, that may work against you, especially when your boss (who decides your raise) sees you driving a car that he thinks is more expensive than it is.

When I got my first BMW, it was almost 4 yrs old, and hardly the most expensive car in the parking lot. At that time my boss was driving a loaded Eddie Bauer edition Excursion, which he just bought new. He almost certainly paid at least 10-15K more for his than I paid for mine, those were crazy expensive when loaded with options. Yet, not perceived by the average person as such an "extravagant" purchase as something with a roundel on the hood, even if it was used and cheaper.

But, I still heard the comments about how it must be nice to have an "expensive" car like that. He wasn't a gearhead, so it's possible he really thought mine was more costly; since he would trade in cars every couple years, I think the cumulative financial penalty of depreciation just didnt resonate with him.

Honestly, I think some ignorant/insecure bosses fear that if a subordinate drives a much more expensive car than their manager (or is perceived to do so), others might think that it challenges the entire premise that you should be motivated to work harder and move up the ladder so you can afford nicer things.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #61
stimpy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If a car guy asks you how much you paid for a specific part (ESPECIALLY at a friggin car meet) and you get offended, you're the tool. He's asking because he loves X mod that you've done and wants to know if it's in the affordable ball park for him.

Unless the guy is absolutely annoying you should just tell him and put not one thought into it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #62
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

I've asked people about their cars, how much stuff cost (rims, lips, spoilers, diffusers), etc.

I'm an asshole, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #63
CD2534
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

In my opinion i think the guy asked how much they cost for that exact reason. Im sure he could tell they are something pretty rare and curiosity got the better of him. Just take it as a compliment and carry on.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #64
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits135i View Post
The issue is NOT at a car meet talking with an car enthusiasts that might want the same thing on his car! Its some jack hole on the street trying claim his shit is better measuring his dong... At a car meet I would expect that. This context is different!

So you have never been told by someone who ask you what you paid for something and you tell them. Then the guy says well I could have got that cheaper or wow you could have bought this instead of that for less... or something similar to that? If you say no, you are a liar! Another good reason I just ignore or ask questions like bra size.

Here is one of my bra stories... I was in one of my Lotus cars and a jack hole M3 owner got out of his car with his dumb blond GF laughing and watching (assuming he must of said something about my car to her) going I can smoke you. What did you spend on that piece of shit when my car for half the cost can smoke you. Come on tell me, what did you pay for that??? I looked at him right in his eye and said "tell me your GF bra size and I will tell you." He got back in his car and drove away slowly.

Its all about attitude man... Be a dick and I guarantee I will be worst back.
The funny part about this story is that a loaded M3 costs more than a Lotus
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #65
Alpha_Zulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is, Alpine White

Garage List
I've been following this thread along and the responses are interesting.

Once after a car meet I had some guy walk up to me who apparently worked at AutoNation and he proceeded to show me his business card because apparently I wouldn't believe him if he didn't. And he's like "I work at AutoNation..how much was the sticker price on your car?"

At the time it was just completely random and he approached me as I was leaving in my car, and it was just so weird and random that I just told him the truth. In retrospect if the same guy were to do that but at a Gas Station as normal person I think I might have the same response. But I think asking how much you pay and how much the sticker price are kind of two different questions.

I do see where the OP is coming from and I do see where Jericho is coming from as well as far as people being classless or rude/lacking tact etc.

Now if someone were just to just ask outright what are my monthly payments? "A lot" would be my response and I'd keep walking without giving them a second's notice. Sometimes people just randomly say, "Nice car man..." to which my response is "You should see my insurance payment"

TL;DR - I see OP's point and I see the other side's point. Sometimes it can come across as rude, and it also depends on the delivery of the question, the context, and what they're motive is. If they're just dick measuring, GTFO you're a jackwad. If they're authentically inquiring because they may want to get a BMW or what not, that's not rude.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #66
kits135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
The funny part about this story is that a loaded M3 costs more than a Lotus
Exactly! But most people think those cars are 6 digits plus...
Appreciate 0