E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Annual maintenance issues - really irritated at BMW

08-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Fastisfun
Rep
Drives: E90

Annual maintenance issues - really irritated at BMW

About 2 weeks ago the car service light starts flashing so i called last week and scheduled for maintenance. this by the way is the same sa that tells me no loaner is available - anyway - i drop the car off this morning at 745am and check it in - i just got a call back from the sa telling me they changed the wiper blades, did an inspection, replaced a broken cup holder, BUT I would have to bring the car back in 3 weeks or either an additional 2000 miles for the oil change since BMW would not authorize it to be changed today. I am so pissed - if this is typical customer service then BMW can go to hell.

I asked the sa why did you even schedule me to come in if i wasnt going to be able to get an oil change - the fricking main reason i was going to bring it in???

is this just me or do i need to switch dealerships, or is BMW really this crappy on their customer service?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #2
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastisfun View Post
About 2 weeks ago the car service light starts flashing so i called last week and scheduled for maintenance. this by the way is the same sa that tells me no loaner is available - anyway - i drop the car off this morning at 745am and check it in - i just got a call back from the sa telling me they changed the wiper blades, did an inspection, replaced a broken cup holder, BUT I would have to bring the car back in 3 weeks or either an additional 2000 miles for the oil change since BMW would not authorize it to be changed today. I am so pissed - if this is typical customer service then BMW can go to hell.

I asked the sa why did you even schedule me to come in if i wasnt going to be able to get an oil change - the fricking main reason i was going to bring it in???

is this just me or do i need to switch dealerships, or is BMW really this crappy on their customer service?
If the car is telling you you need an oil change, they have to change it. I'm not sure why an oil change wouldn't be included in the regular scheduled maintenance. Change dealerships. It's a shame, but here in MD, I prefer VOB BMW for service rather than Tischer where I actually bought my car. On the flip side, my wife and I were blown off by VOB salesmen, so we bought the car at Tischer. It's nice having more than one option in an area.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

You brought it in too soon. The service light comes on (when you first put the ignition and start the car) a little before you need service. It tells you how many miles until you need service too. No BMW dealer will perform any scheduled maintenance unless the car tells them to do so, that's their policy and just how it works.

Next time, call the dealer when your car is actually ready for service and book it for the next available time they have a loaner to give you. You'll find the experience much more pleasurable. I've been doing it this way for years over many different cars and have yet to have any type of problem.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
You brought it in too soon. The service light comes on (when you first put the ignition and start the car) a little before you need service. It tells you how many miles until you need service too. No BMW dealer will perform any scheduled maintenance unless the car tells them to do so, that's their policy and just how it works.

Next time, call the dealer when your car is actually ready for service and book it for the next available time they have a loaner to give you. You'll find the experience much more pleasurable. I've been doing it this way for years over many different cars and have yet to have any type of problem.
In my 528i, I was able to take it in at the first yellow indicator light. I'm not sure about cars with iDrive. But it seems proactive to get things done early rather than later. 2000 miles is a longggggggggggggg time for some people who may not drive far in their cars. So, you could possibly experience an annoying reminder for 3 to 4 months if you don't put many miles on the car. It would be great if the car warned you say 500 miles from the time you need an oil change. Most people don't drive more than 500 miles if they know they need an oil change and it's free.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

Quote:

yup. i knew the answer before i was done reading. im getting better at this BMW stuff lol.
apparently they are really strict with the 15k oil changes. how many miles do you have between oil changes? was this your first change? if the service light comes on, id think it could be a number of things other than an oil change. with all the electronics in our cars you never know what could be the problem. is the light still on? if they know that you came in specifically for an oil change, and if something happens with your car in the next 2000miles/3 weeks, they have it on record, and you can turn around and say "WTF". i wouldnt get too stressed out.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

as i remembered....here were my schedule maintenance for the 4/50k warranty:

20k+ miles = free oil change
35k+ miles = Inspection I(nothing changed or replaced...just inspection - wasted half a day)
45k+ miles = second free oil change
      08-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

Does this mean that if your car doesn't think it needs a service until way past 15k miles, they won't perform the change at 15k? I've noticed my car thinks it can go much further since I've been putting on a lot of freeway miles, but I still want it done under warranty after 15k. OP, sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but the above statement made me curious.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post
Does this mean that if your car doesn't think it needs a service until way past 15k miles, they won't perform the change at 15k? I've noticed my car thinks it can go much further since I've been putting on a lot of freeway miles, but I still want it done under warranty after 15k. OP, sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, but the above statement made me curious.
i had like 17k miles on mine and they won't change the oil when i took it in for warranty work......

i had to wait until the onboard computer said it was time(around 20k miles).....
      08-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaTuReB0Y View Post
i had like 17k miles on mine and they won't change the oil when i took it in for warranty work......

i had to wait until the onboard computer said it was time(around 20k miles).....
Blah. My next oil service will be outside the warranty then (will hit 15 at about 47k overall). Hooray for another way to gouge people! I'm going to give the dealer a call when I hit 15k anyway just to see. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

If you've had your car a year, they should have given you the Annual oil change for free....that's about all they would do though (although they would fix anything else that's broken covered under warranty, as they did with you). They might not have given it to you because you're so close to the 15,000 mile service, which would also include a free oil change. They probably didn't want to give you 2 free oil changes within 2000 miles. Sounds like the SA was trying to save a buck.

Personally though, I would have scheduled a time when a loaner car is available, if possible. Often when I drop off my car on a Friday and pick up the loaner, the loaner dude tells me I'm lucky because there will be no loaners available for others the following Monday morning. Understandable. A lot of loaners are returned on Mondays during the evening, so my guess is Tuesdays are your best bet to obtain a loaner.

Either way, your SA is in the wrong for not telling you they wouldn’t be able to do the oil change up front. He could have told you to wait 2,000 miles to get everything done or get the other stuff done now then in 2,000 the oil change. Or they could have done the right thing and given you your free Annual oil change and still allow you to bring it in for the 15,000 mile maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #11
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazed792 View Post
Yes, the car monitors how you drive and adjusts when it needs the oil change. My E90 is my primary daily driver and sees mostly highway miles, and is currently estimating I'll need my first service around 17k.

They will do anything the car requests for the first 4 years or 50k miles. That's about all there is to know.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

You guys are telling me that you don't get the free annual oil change - the car never tells u of that oil change????!!!! Call your dealer and ask them for the annual oil change - your engine will thank you for it!

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

OP, was the dealer "Performance BMW"?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...erformance+bmw
      08-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
iheartsole
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

damn. i would feel the same way
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
seanl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
If you've had your car a year, they should have given you the Annual oil change for free....that's about all they would do though (although they would fix anything else that's broken covered under warranty, as they did with you)
Last week I got my free annual oil change done at 11,500 miles. I have owned the car 11 months, 3 weeks.

it's called the low mileage annual oil service per 00 04 001

I believe they don't reset the service indicator either, so I'll get the next oil change sooner rather than another year from now.

BTW, I paid for the first oil change @ 5000 miles as I was uncomfortable leaving the original oil in the car for a year/12K miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

[QUOTE=seanl;5664342]Last week I got my free annual oil change done at 11,500 miles. I have owned the car 11 months, 3 weeks.

it's called the low mileage annual oil service per 00 04 001

I believe they don't reset the service indicator either, so I'll get the next oil change sooner rather than another year from now.

Same here just got mines done also with the low milage service no reset until the next service.
      08-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

You guys need to drive your cars more.

X7 LCI // Incoming
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
NaTuReB0Y