Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Cracked OEM rim -> Removal of RFT's for Summers .. Wow!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-sport 6 sp manual

Cracked OEM rim -> Removal of RFT's for Summers .. Wow!

Hi,

So I've seen a lot of threads recently about people second guessing their decision to go to RFT's. I've only had my car for 4 months and it came with RFT's. Last week, I got a flat in my RFT and was told it had to be replaced. I had a set of Hankook V12's in the same OEM 17" size so I told them to replace them.

Bigger problem, one of the rims was cracked. So I got a reconditioned rim ordered and in came in yesterday. I took it to this local shop that is well renowned for fixing rims and balancing properly. While they had my car on the lift, they brought me in the shop and showed my how horrifically all 3 remaining rims were bent. I was shocked as it wasn't even close. It looked like someone smacked the back of each wheel with a sledgehammer (thanks Boston roads).

So, some cash and an hour later, I had 3 straightened rims, 1 newish rim and 4 summer tires on, and all 4 properly RoadForce balanced. Results? Wow! I've always thought there would be some vibration at highway speeds, even with a BMW. But now I know that it wasn't just the RFT's contributing to the slight vibrations and noise. This thing rides and handles like a dream now!

Do yourself a favor when switching your tires/rims between seasons, get your rims checked out by a reputable rim/wheel repair shop. I've never had a better commute in my life.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Did you have the Rials with winters checked out as well? Curious to know what the dx is.

Also, was it Rim and Wheel works in Waltham? I bet folks in the New England forum (including myself) would find details helpful.
Appreciate 0