E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > ***Official 757 Thread***

Closed Thread

12-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #1277
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Super Silver GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedOften View Post
There's a rev limiter and the only way you're going to go passed it is if you mis-shift and that will blow your engine if the RPM's go high enough. My brother did this at a BMWCCA DE up in NH a bunch years back in a E36 328i, mis-shift into 2nd gear instead of 4th coming from 5th. You probably would have heard the engine if you bounced of the rev limiter.

What will damage your engine over time, is not letting it warm up before getting on it. You have an M3 which lives in the higher revs so as long as it's warmed up and the oil isn't old you'll be fine, just don't keep it bouncing off the rev limiter for extended periods like doing burnouts or autocrossing like the following video:

(skip to 45 seconds in and after 2:10 is nothin but me putting my junk back in the hatch...)

I left it in 1st gear except for a two short straights and was bouncing off of the 7600 rev limiter a lot...
thanks speed. i figured there was a rev limiter, but wasn't thinking about that at the time. also, i know what the engine sounds like at high RPMs and didn't really notice that sound. however, i really wasn't paying attention to revs at the time but wanted to make sure. again, thanks for the time giving your 2 cents.
2008 IB E92 ON BLACK| 6 SPD | NAVIGATION | IPOD W/USB | CF ROOF | 20% TINT | 8000K ALPINE HID | GLOSS BLACK KIDNEYS | PAINTED REFLECTORS | PAINTED SIDE GILLS | TINTED LEDs | H&R SPRINGS | VORSTEINER CF TRUNK | VORSTEINER CF DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER CF FRONT LIP | MACHT SCHNELL | CONTINENTAL |
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #1278
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoraviator View Post
import...i'm glad you're my friend. you sir are quite funny with your responses. on another note, i really do think i like adding stress to my life.
well i can't help it(and neither can a few others on here)....you make it too easy!

in all seriousness though...you're stressin' too much over your car. you'd be surprised how strong/stout the M motor is. just enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #1279
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F85 X5M

I was thinking the rev limiter would save the engine, too.

This is annoying with all the salt and dirt everywhere. I want to wash the car, but it'll be coated as soon as i got home.

Glad i have the traction back, though. I got stuck at the airport and almost pulled my spoiler off giving the car a push. The rip was sickening before i realized what my dumbass was doing.

Gah. Where is summer already?
      12-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #1280
eric86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

saw gator on independence earlier this afternoon. that trunk was lookin good.. joey was tellin me that he painted it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #1281
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Gator , you're a Navy Officer right? What Command are you at?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #1282
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gator , you're a Navy Officer right? What Command are you at?
Officer yes. However, I'm not flying this tour. I'm on my disassociated sea tour right now AKA boat gig.
2008 IB E92 ON BLACK| 6 SPD | NAVIGATION | IPOD W/USB | CF ROOF | 20% TINT | 8000K ALPINE HID | GLOSS BLACK KIDNEYS | PAINTED REFLECTORS | PAINTED SIDE GILLS | TINTED LEDs | H&R SPRINGS | VORSTEINER CF TRUNK | VORSTEINER CF DIFFUSER | VORSTEINER CF FRONT LIP | MACHT SCHNELL | CONTINENTAL |
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #1283
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

Quote:
Officer yes. However, I'm not flying this tour. I'm on my disassociated sea tour right now AKA boat gig.
I didn't realize you were an officer. What will you be flying?
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #1284
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric86 View Post
saw gator on independence earlier this afternoon. that trunk was lookin good.. joey was tellin me that he painted it.
daym i'm anxious to see that trunk too!

eric do you know joey too?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #1285
eric86
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
daym i'm anxious to see that trunk too!

eric do you know joey too?
i met him at the shop... hes going to replace my bumper. he said he knew you.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #1286
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-9 View Post
This is annoying with all the salt and dirt everywhere. I want to wash the car, but it'll be coated as soon as i got home.
I have a problem with birds around here. It's like my car has a huge "crap on me" sign on it. I've owned this thing for 1 month - picked it up on Dec 1st, and I've seriously been hit 8 times between home and work. I'm about to go clean off the 3 spots on it now with a bucket of warm water.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #1287
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i met him at the shop... hes going to replace my bumper. he said he knew you.
ah ok cool. he's a nice guy...and definitely good at what he does. i've seen him do some incredible stuff with some VIP cars. some of my friends also help him out at the shop from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #1288
eric86
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
ah ok cool. he's a nice guy...and definitely good at what he does. i've seen him do some incredible stuff with some VIP cars. some of my friends also help him out at the shop from time to time.
yea hes really cool
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #1289
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yea hes really cool
concur. don't know if i really got a "hook up" on the price of the paint job/install, but definitely a great dude and i'll be doing future business with him when i get my lip and diffuser. hopefully he'll "hook" me up that time. not complaining, paint looks perfect, i'd say a 9.5 if not a 10/10 on the match and very meticulous. cool to see a guy who loves what he does...lots of energy and fun guy to talk to.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #1290
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
I didn't realize you were an officer. What will you be flying?
well, i have just about 10 years in so far. this is my first tour not flying, but normal for my career progression. the first two years i spent in the navy i flew 3 different aircraft for flight school to get my wings. for the next 3.5 years i flew H-60s (helicopters) here in norfolk with HSC-28 and then went down to Texas as a flight instructor flying the T-34 (2 seater fixed wing turboprop). the only thing i'm flying now is a desk on a big deck amphib here at NOB. after that, i'll be back in the cockpit hopefully, either the H-60, T-34, or T-6 (newest addition to the Navy fleet for training aircraft). we will see

soooooo...obviously you're in i'm assuming? what do you do?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #1291
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

something different

Guys,
Since you like picking on me so much, I'm giving you the opportunity to start a poll. I know you know I have a personalized license plate: LOGIT. there's a story behind that if you ever like to hear it. Ever since I graduated, I've had a few different personalized plates. Soooooooo, here is what I'm offering:

If you guys think up a few things and vote on it, the highest vote wins. And by wins, that means I'll get it...hahaha. And even if I don't, it might be something fun to do to kill some time. Just throwing it out there. I've thought of a few different things, but just too many damn options...hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:22 PM   #1292
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

damn, i hate to have 4 consecutive posts, but here we go:

if anyone is in the area, i'll be at racewerkes tomorrow around 1PM getting the tires and wheels installed....nothing fancy, just the zcp 359s. i plan on using these for winter wheels, but i've always loved them. maybe i'll just keep them and do nothing else.

after that, i'm heading over to stock or modified to get the roundel installed and just BS with joey. that'll probably be around 3ish if I'm not at racewerkes. just mentioning if anyone is around and wanting to catch up. if not, NBDR.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #1293
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

OK I see. I'm Army, stuck enlisted in the Guard until I graduate college and commission. My dad was a Navy helo pilot back in the day though, went to the Academy and then flew H-3s. I think he may have gotten some time in the H-60 as well. He was also on the Nassau so that all sounds kinda familiar haha.

Quote:
well, i have just about 10 years in so far. this is my first tour not flying, but normal for my career progression. the first two years i spent in the navy i flew 3 different aircraft for flight school to get my wings. for the next 3.5 years i flew H-60s (helicopters) here in norfolk with HSC-28 and then went down to Texas as a flight instructor flying the T-34 (2 seater fixed wing turboprop). the only thing i'm flying now is a desk on a big deck amphib here at NOB. after that, i'll be back in the cockpit hopefully, either the H-60, T-34, or T-6 (newest addition to the Navy fleet for training aircraft). we will see

2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #1294
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm an enlisted "Nuke"... EM type. I'm currently at NRMD which is "part" of NNSY but we have our own building on base to support subs and carriers doing Nuclear related stuff. Mostly prep and support work for the boats before they head over to Portsmouth.

Before NRMD I was on the Carl Vinson, (CVN-70). Rode her through her deployment prior to RCOH over at NGNN, and left just before she left for the west coast.

Prior to the Vinson I was in Nuc school down in Charleston for just shy of 2 yrs. I've been in for 7 and half years so far and if I don't reenlist I will be out in Aug 2012. I haven't made up my mind yet what to do. Wife wants me to get out and move closer to home (NH and Maine).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #1295
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
OK I see. I'm Army, stuck enlisted in the Guard until I graduate college and commission. My dad was a Navy helo pilot back in the day though, went to the Academy and then flew H-3s. I think he may have gotten some time in the H-60 as well. He was also on the Nassau so that all sounds kinda familiar haha.
that's cool. if your dad flew H-3s, then we were in the same community. I'm assuming he was in the "HC" community. You'll have to ask him. I've landed on the Nassau plenty of times and even slept a few nights onboard. I did a deployment on Kearsarge which is basically the same thing. Like I said, I flew the MH-60S and was at HC-8 which transitioned to HSC-28. I highly doubt I know him, but sounds like good people.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #1296
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm an enlisted "Nuke"... EM type. I'm currently at NRMD which is "part" of NNSY but we have our own building on base to support subs and carriers doing Nuclear related stuff. Mostly prep and support work for the boats before they head over to Portsmouth.

Before NRMD I was on the Carl Vinson, (CVN-70). Rode her through her deployment prior to RCOH over at NGNN, and left just before she left for the west coast.

Prior to the Vinson I was in Nuc school down in Charleston for just shy of 2 yrs. I've been in for 7 and half years so far and if I don't reenlist I will be out in Aug 2012. I haven't made up my mind yet what to do. Wife wants me to get out and move closer to home (NH and Maine).
well, i can talk to you "offline" aka in person about this, but i honestly wouldn't get out unless i had a plan. you know what i mean?

on another note, does ANYONE know why cars and coffee in va beach is on the 8th and not the 1st? is it because places will be closed or what? it was my understanding they had these events on the FIRST Saturday of every month. well, the 1st is the 1st Saturday. guess i'm pissed since i have to work the 8th and won't be able to make it.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #1297
SpeedOften
Cone Killing E90
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
well, i can talk to you "offline" aka in person about this, but i honestly wouldn't get out unless i had a plan. you know what i mean?

on another note, does ANYONE know why cars and coffee in va beach is on the 8th and not the 1st? is it because places will be closed or what? it was my understanding they had these events on the FIRST Saturday of every month. well, the 1st is the 1st Saturday. guess i'm pissed since i have to work the 8th and won't be able to make it.
I'm still talking with the wife about it.. I have to research it some more but I read something about going Officer in the Coast Gaurd from enlisted Nuc... I'd be interested in that. If the economy doesn't get better by the time I'm almost out or if I'm not done with my degree I'll probably stay in another couple years at least. My plan would be to either work at the Nuclear plant in NH, Portsmouth Shipyard in Maine or GE - over in Schenectady, NY which is where my dad works.

As for Cars & Coffee.. what you said is pretty much it. The head guy didn't expect the turnout would be very big with it being New Years, I think he mentioned he himself would be hungover... lol
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #1298
gatoraviator
THE SWAMP '01
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As for Cars & Coffee.. what you said is pretty much it. The head guy didn't expect the turnout would be very big with it being New Years, I think he mentioned he himself would be hungover... lol
Then make it Cars and Coors or something later in the day. It's not that hard!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread