E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Squeak driving me crazy PLEASE HELP!!

10-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
wtobiason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Long story short, I had vibration in my steering wheel while braking above 45. Turned out to be tire balancing.

While troubleshooting I bought new brake pads and had my rotors turned. My brakes started squeaking really bad. Figured it was the brembo ceramic pads so I bought a set of "posi-quiet" pads and had them installed 3 weeks later. My brakes squealed even louder. Had the shop put brake lubricant between the pads and calipers. That fixed the noise for a day and it came back even louder.

I've spent $340 on brakes when they didn't need to be done and I can't get rid of the squeak now.

I'm close to buying new rotors and pads and having a different shop install them but I don't want to be $1000 in the hole for having my brakes done 3 times when my original ones were fine.

They are cross drilled slotted rotors by the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Zack77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Are those the StopTech brand?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
wtobiason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I don't remember what brand the rotors are. They didn't squeak before being turned. After being turned they squeak with brembo and posi-quiet pads.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 01:07 AM   #4
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Try changing your brake caliper bushing (super cheap btw). They might worn and causing the caliper to drag or not sitting right.

Also, try bedding in your pads. See if that helps. But be aware, drilled and slotted rotors are always gonna be a little louder than blank ones.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Just the idea of turning rotors, drilled/slotted especially, gives me the chills. It's hard enough to find someone to do it right on blanks, much less on those abominations.

CN: change your rotors and try again.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Try changing your brake caliper bushing (super cheap btw). They might worn and causing the caliper to drag or not sitting right.
very true, especially if the brakes squeak/squeal in both directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Also, try bedding in your pads. See if that helps. But be aware, drilled and slotted rotors are always gonna be a little louder than blank ones.
from experience I have notice that they get louder when worn out and turning them might just made it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Just the idea of turning rotors, drilled/slotted especially, gives me the chills. It's hard enough to find someone to do it right on blanks, much less on those abominations.
CN: change your rotors and try again.
Finally, I concur on something with FCobra94. If cheaper fixes do not help replace the rotors. Also be aware that some rotor-pad combo just does not work together, different materials and will squeak/squeal regardless of what you do.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
wtobiason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: the brake shop that has been screwing everything up still had my oem rotors that had about 1000 miles on them. Back to stock and no more squeaks. I guess when they turned my rotors they screwed them up. 2 sets of pads, greasing the caliper and now fixed with oem rotors.
Appreciate 0