Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > RFT separation

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

RFT separation

So my folks have a 06 330 that has 4 new Bridgestone RE RFT's. New as of about 7 months ago I should say. Anyway, they paid $1,700 at the dealership for the set (I know!). Now the RR tire's tread has separated from the tire. The car was towed to the dealer under the roadside warranty.

The dealer says that BMW won't warranty the tire, which is understood. Bridgestone has a 3 year warranty on defects according to thier website. The dealer doesn't "acknowledge" this warranty. Now Bridgestone says that it has to be an "authorized dealer" to do a warranty claim. The dealer can't seem to answer the question of whether or not they are an authorized dealer or not, they just want $500 to replace it. I'm wondering if they can take the receipt to some random tire store (an authorized dealer) and have them replace the tire under warranty.
Right now the car is not drivable and it is at the dealer. Any other tow would be at thier exopense. I may just have to take a jack and stand over there, pull the wheel and take it somewhere.

I'm asking these questions because RFT failure and separation is nothing new. What have your experiences been with getting the tire replaced under the tire manufacturer's warranty, if at all? Thanks
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD

Last edited by pwrdbym; 09-28-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Bmwguy11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

I would call some other tire places to find an "authorized" bridgestone dealer. Ask them if you can simply bring the wheel with tire in. Start there and see where that goes I guess?

edit: in the future switch to the contipro contact SSR runflats. It seems like people have less problems with them? (myself included)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwguy11 View Post
I would call some other tire places to find an "authorized" bridgestone dealer. Ask them if you can simply bring the wheel with tire in. Start there and see where that goes I guess?

edit: in the future switch to the contipro contact SSR runflats. It seems like people have less problems with them? (myself included)
Correct. Most tire places that sell Bridgestone are "authorized" dealers. Take the wheel and tire there and see if it is covered (you might also want to post a picture here)

After that, tell your folks to find a new dealership. Their current one has lousy customer service and yes, they are an authorized dealer (All BMW dealers are authorized retailers for the tire brands they sell.)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

Call BMW NA. They will solve every problem they encounter to the satisfaction of the customer...

The dealer is an authorized tire retailer so they should cover Bridgestone's warranty on the tire.

When it comes to replacements and you want to keep the security of a RFT, get ContiPro Contact SSR RFTs
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
MoFo4life44
Rep
Drives: BMW 335is

To be honest I work at a tire shop and it is hard to prove to the manufacture it's a defect. I would take it to the shop I got it from and have them try to send in a claim. You'll be lucky if they give you anything. Try avoiding runflats, too expensive, noisy, rough ride and there way too heavy.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
pwrdbym
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Ok, so I have an update already. The dealer is refusing to replace the tire because they say the ONLY way the tire could have seperated was due to an impact. It's not like the car was run over a curb or anything else memorable. I imagine that it hit it's share of potholes in the time it was on the car, but nothing out of the ordinary. If Bridgestone can't engineer a tire to take normal potholes then I'd say they need to pull out of a few states. That is a different argument.
We have been talking to an independent tire shop and I plan to take the wheel/tire by there this afternoon. They said that they would have to see it before promising anything, but that it "sounds" like a warranty replacement. We'll see what happens. In any case, they quoted just over $300 to replace it, ($200 less than the dealer).

As far as the dealer is concerned, yeah they suck, but the next one is 1.5 hrs away. They absoutely argue over anything and everything that ins't out of pocket. Bridgestone would pay for the replacement, I think they just don't want to hassle with the paperwork, that, and hoping that they'll just give in and pay them ($200 more than it should cost).
I've stopped taking all of my cars there for awhile, I do all of my own work in my shop. I've also started doing the routine maint on their 330 now. The tires were purchased when it was in for service under warranty, and it was one of those, go ahead and do it type of moments.
If I have anything to say about it the car would get a nice set of go-flat Hankooks for $550 a set!! Thanks for the recommendations and help.
91 BMW 850i 6MT--20 Ram 1500
16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD
Appreciate 0