E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyre weld

03-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Tyre weld

For those who have moved to non run flat tyres what do you use/keep as a back up?

I am making the switch to non run flats and have searched various threads/forums but still a bit

General concensus seems to be some form of tyre weld and compressor, from what I read I have following options to choose from -

BMW mobility kit comprising of tyre weld and compressor (not sure on price) - with this say for example I have a puncture and use the tyre weld, will I need to buy a brand new mobility kit again?

Holts tyre weld - (how many bottles needed to use on 1 tyre?) - mine are the 18" staggered set up
Also do I still need a compressor to use with this?

Another product I have read is something called Slime pro kit where you inject it into the tyre before hand

Buy a spare wheel/space saver (I have already a 18" spare alloy with a run flat on) but dont fancy the idea of keeping it in my boot

Also with breakdown cover, I have read that some dont come out if you have non run flat without a spare???
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post

BMW mobility kit comprising of tyre weld and compressor (not sure on price) - with this say for example I have a puncture and use the tyre weld, will I need to buy a brand new mobility kit again?

Holts tyre weld - (how many bottles needed to use on 1 tyre?) - mine are the 18" staggered set up

Also do I still need a compressor to use with this?
I went for a big can of Holts, and I already have a compressor which I use for keeping my tyres at the right pressure.

You may need the compressor if you need top up after filling the tyre with goo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Also with breakdown cover, I have read that some dont come out if you have non run flat without a spare???
Not sure if they would ask this question - you are stuck, they need to help?
      03-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks TMP, I have a halfords compressor where I check my tyre pressure weekly so I can use that with the holts

I saw in asda for £7.97, not sure what size the can was but I guess it would be best to keep a couple of cans?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

1 compressor
2 Cans of holts
thats my setup so far.
      03-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Ever the optimist, I have a Mobility kit - a Continental one, purchased from eBay for about £20 (search for Conti Mobility). If you have to use it in anger, you just replace the sealant bottle. I shied away from an aerosol because of it possibly not having enough waft to inflate the tyre.

DO NOT use Slime in your car tyres. It is a tremendous product that I use on my push bikes and off-road motor bike, but it may tend to blob and cause severe imbalance in the tyre. There is a warning to this effect on the product. Slime do make a mobility type kit though, which I assume will be as good as their products usually are.

If you go eBay for the Mobility kit - and there are a lot on the site - there are many from different car manufacturers. Ensure that the sealant reservoir is well in date (there is usually an expiry date on the bottle) and that it is a big one. Ford do different sizes for Fiesta etc and larger ones for Mondeo/S-Max.

I also have a chocolate button spare wheel that I bought when I went to proper tyres on the 5er. The E6x spare fits the E9x, but it is a steelie, not an alloy. It is a royal pain in the boot! With it lying on the floor in the Touring, it takes up a lot of room, and my dog doesn't like sitting on it. However, in a BMW design triumph, the bloody thing is too big to mount upright! I have removed my loadspace roller cover/cargo net, and the wheel is then a snug fit between the rear seat and the rear pillar. I secure it with webbing straps hooked into the cargo ring, rear seat catch and a strengthening plate inside the rear boot cubby hole, adjacent to the rear light cluster. Not pretty but effective.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks guys above for the replys, I will go down the holts and compressor route as spending money on 4x new tyres so money will be tight
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

Just make sure you have a couple of cans of holt as some are smaller in size