E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dilemma! Both front wheels are cracked, only had car for 2 months :(

03-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

Dilemma! Both front wheels are cracked, only had car for 2 months :(

Just need some help and advice, I have tried searching online. I can find a lot of info on 19inch wheels but nothing on 17inch wheels.
So I bought my car 2 months ago and my front driver side outer tyre tread was wearing away so quick that last week it was almost bald! So I thought okay maybe there is some alignment issues :/ but that would affect both sides which was not the case. So went to get my tyre changes and was told I had a crack in that alloy which is probably why I had dodgy wear on that tyre.
Anyways I had my car booked into BMW today to get an update and when I went to collect I was told the left side wheel was also cracked.

So I went to the dealer I bought my car and said I've only had the car for two months and both front wheels are cracked, he didn't say much and mumbled about the MOT which is pretty much a year old give it a couple months. He doesn't seem keen in replacing them. And of course he mentioned the terrible roads...
So was wondering if you guys could give me some sort of idea of what I could do. When I bought it seemed fine, I have never come across having to take off all wheels and checked them before buying a car before. I would appreciate any help, and thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

Where did you buy the car from?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

You can't prove you didn't cause the cracks. Just one of those things, have to replace them, or repair them.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richk84 View Post
Where did you buy the car from?
It was a local dealer in my area, been around for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
You can't prove you didn't cause the cracks. Just one of those things, have to replace them, or repair them.
That's what I was afraid of, I do drive around potholes. I just can't believe these crack without doing much :s
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
dubdemand
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Individual

I guess you could have them indipendently checked to see if its recent or old damage?

I'd still argue the point with the dealer. You have a warranty period and this should be covered regardless. It's only ever BMW's you hear about with cracked rims so again it should be argued that the car was not sold in a roadworthy condition and it could also be considered a design fault.

I think consumer law would be on your side if it went that far.
      03-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Fuck them! There's a sticky thread about cracked wheels and watchdog was on their case!...

I would get them to replace those wheels!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:44 AM   #7
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdemand View Post
I guess you could have them indipendently checked to see if its recent or old damage?

I'd still argue the point with the dealer. You have a warranty period and this should be covered regardless. It's only ever BMW's you hear about with cracked rims so again it should be argued that the car was not sold in a roadworthy condition and it could also be considered a design fault.

I think consumer law would be on your side if it went that far.
I didn't think it was possible to check how old they are, I tried to google it and nothing came up. It's 2007 car, and the dealer only gave me a basic mechanical warranty. But the dealer did try to blame that I might have run over even the smallest pothole and cracked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Fuck them! There's a sticky thread about cracked wheels and watchdog was on their case!...

I would get them to replace those wheels!
I have read through quite a bit, and BMW seem to do some sort of test on it to decide if it is their fault, and charge for that test. And its always the 19/18 wheels that have problems.
BMW told me they will charge me £350 plus fitting for each side.
Appreciate 0