E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Amplifier installation caused cass module malfunction

10-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
momo335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Amplifier installation caused cass module malfunction

Hi Guys,

Last week, I had my car towed to the dealer because it displayed that steering wheel lock malfunction (in red) on the dashboard and I can't start the car. This problem does happen on some E9x...

Yesterday, the dealer called me back and stated that they need to replace the cass module and the steering column. The dealer also mentioned that they cannot cover it under warranty because the installation of the aftermarket amplifier for my subwoofer caused the cass module to be 'fried'.

When I had the amplifier installed, the shop ran a wire for me from the center console to the amplifier remote turn on port so that the amplifier would only turn on whenever the ignition is on and engine is running.

Any clues? Thanks in advance.
      10-22-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
mike_b
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 323i M-sport

I don't see how you amp could fry the cas module...

Thing is I have now got the same problem. The warning light comes on and the car won't start. It takes a few tries and then the light goes away and it starts normally. This has happened about 3 times now. I've also recently installed an aftermarket amp....

I think I better take the amp out beforew I take the car to a dealer...

Is the repair to the steering column and cas module expensive?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
mike_b
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90 323i M-sport

I just spoke to a friend who is an auto electrician at a BMW dealer in Durban, South Africa (my home town).

He said that the amp should not have caused the cas malfunction. There is a technical bullitin out on the problem. It is a common problem on E90's, he gets at least one a day. They replace the steering column and upgrade the software.

So depending on how your amp is installed, it should not be the problem and m/plan should pay.

Hope this helps - since I read this I've been a bit worried..... make that alot worried!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Happened to me too. It was covered under warranty though. I did have at the time a totally after market system.
Appreciate 0