E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > While I Wait For My Free iPhone 4 Case...

07-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

While I Wait For My Free iPhone 4 Case...

This will have to do

http://www.etsy.com/listing/52221184...phone-4-6-pack
      07-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
My sister said hers will ship 6-8 weeks...Apple is really fumbling this IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Isn't this a band-aid rather than the solution to the problem?

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
Isn't this a band-aid rather than the solution to the problem?
Depends on how you're using those terms. It's a solution in the sense that having the bumper on fixes antenna issues, but it does not solve the design flaw, so I guess in that respect it is more of a "band aid" rather than a hard fix
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Depends on how you're using those terms. It's a solution in the sense that having the bumper on fixes antenna issues, but it does not solve the design flaw, so I guess in that respect it is more of a "band aid" rather than a hard fix

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Since I haven't had any problems, I am not gonna hang Apple out to dry with the rest of the world. Hopefully, they won't just push the cost to all their other products to compensate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Since I haven't had any problems, I am not gonna hang Apple out to dry with the rest of the world. Hopefully, they won't just push the cost to all their other products to compensate.
+1

I can't even replicate te problem.
      07-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Oh my fucking god... it's a joke

Quote:
Antenn-aid is for entertainment purposes only, results may vary
      07-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
+1

Same
      07-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #10
EmmettBrown
Banned
Rep
Drives: cars

i find it funny how steve jobs first says that the phone is being held wrong and admits to nothing wrong, and weeks later he reveals a "solution"

talk about change of heart
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmettBrown View Post
i find it funny how steve jobs first says that the phone is being held wrong and admits to nothing wrong, and weeks later he reveals a "solution"

talk about change of heart
Not really, he showed evidence that many phones are subject to the same or worse effect, he confirmed that cases help, and he tossed in an offer for a free case. Not a bad solution, for what would appear to be a minor issue. I have a 4 and have yet to have any signal loss, it appears to be nearly identical in signal performance to my old 3. I'll still take a "free" case, thanks Mr. Jobs.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

2 of 3 of my iPhone 4 had some problem with the antenna. I bought a cheap case off eBay for a temp fix until my free case arrives. And yes, the antenna has improved with the case but I still think my reception is overall worse than my 3GS.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
My sister said hers will ship 6-8 weeks...Apple is really fumbling this IMO
Why because they can't meet demand? How would you solve the problem? Magically make cases out of thin air?

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
+1

add me to that list too
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I can replicate the problem but it isn't as bad as ppl make it out to be. I'm patiently waiting for my free case too (supposed to ship August 27)
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Why because they can't meet demand? How would you solve the problem? Magically make cases out of thin air?
Yes, exactly. The fact that people can walk into a store and get Iphone4 cases or get them in a few days from other websites leave me to believe that there is not a shortage of cases. It's the fact that you must go through Apple's process to get it.

Every phone serial number is documented at purchase, why not just ship the appropriate amount of cases to their respective Apple and ATT stores? This amount can be approximated as the number of phones bought at the individual stores plus (for those who ordered online) the amount shipped to certain zipcodes. This gets you in the ballpark for number of cases, as while everyone is entitled to one, not everyone is experiencing problems and there are likely to be those forgoing the free case. Sure there will be left overs, but the amount of cases per store should be adequate.

Have people come in, have the Apple "Genius" scan or record the phone's serial number (hardly a daunting task as each of them has a handheld "register" type thing) and let the person walk out of the store with their choice of available cases.

Is it perfect? No, but it's a lot better SCM than having everyone apply for their case online and then ship them individually. All of this could have been figured out while Apple was "investigating these claims" or whatever was going on those 2 or so weeks before this announcement was made. Not only would the case shipping be cheaper for Apple, people would be getting their cases now.

My sister registered for hers nearly immediately and it's a 6-8 week wait? Unacceptable from a company that touts itself is a premium brand selling the best phone, who fucked up on R&D, and took their arm being twisted to admit it. Sure there is a buyer beware aspect for any new generation device, but it is no secret these problems were known well ahead of time but Jobs liked the design enough to overlook them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Quote:
Yes, exactly. The fact that people can walk into a store and get Iphone4 cases or get them in a few days from other websites leave me to believe that there is not a shortage of cases. It's the fact that you must go through Apple's process to get it.

Every phone serial number is documented at purchase, why not just ship the appropriate amount of cases to their respective Apple and ATT stores? This amount can be approximated as the number of phones bought at the individual stores plus (for those who ordered online) the amount shipped to certain zipcodes. This gets you in the ballpark for number of cases, as while everyone is entitled to one, not everyone is experiencing problems and there are likely to be those forgoing the free case. Sure there will be left overs, but the amount of cases per store should be adequate.

Have people come in, have the Apple "Genius" scan or record the phone's serial number (hardly a daunting task as each of them has a handheld "register" type thing) and let the person walk out of the store with their choice of available cases.

Is it perfect? No, but it's a lot better SCM than having everyone apply for their case online and then ship them individually. All of this could have been figured out while Apple was "investigating these claims" or whatever was going on those 2 or so weeks before this announcement was made. Not only would the case shipping be cheaper for Apple, people would be getting their cases now.

My sister registered for hers nearly immediately and it's a 6-8 week wait? Unacceptable from a company that touts itself is a premium brand selling the best phone, who fucked up on R&D, and took their arm being twisted to admit it. Sure there is a buyer beware aspect for any new generation device, but it is no secret these problems were known well ahead of time but Jobs liked the design enough to overlook them.
I beg to differ your entire argument but I'm too lazy to type it all out right now.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #18
james426
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i Sedan

I wish I bought shares in one of those cell phone case companies that apple will be using lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
It is possible the suppliers are not ready yet. When I went to the Apple Store last week they had ZERO Iphone 4 cases or bumpers. This was pre-free case.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I know last time I was in the Apple store (last thursday I believe) there were 4 cases. The fact remains that their timing, which they are usually quite good at, was off in this instance.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #21
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 07 335i

Quote:
I know last time I was in the Apple store (last thursday I believe) there were 4 cases. The fact remains that their timing, which they are usually quite good at, was off in this instance.
my apple store didnt have the bumpers (today), not sure about the other cases
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #22
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:

I ordered Apple's bumpers a month before they announced giving out free cases. It took 3 weeks before I actually got them. There is a shortage. With that said, Apple refunded me for both of them 3 days ago without me having to fill out any forms.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0