E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2010 335i basic sound system upgrade

05-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
dan the man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 CP

2010 335i basic sound system upgrade

Guys, like many others before me I‘ve been hypnotized by the 3 liters turbo engine sound and I completely forgot about the audio car system - I was thinking is at least Hi-Fi level… but later one I discovered the 6 speakers basic sound system in place (2010 335i Coupe) and was like a real downgrade from my previous Harman-Kardon 12 speakers system in the 2004 E46 330xi.
So…I’ve got the car and is too late to ask for a Logic7 option…and I’m thinking for an upgrade … and I need your advices...anyway…I can’t survive with what I have now…basic sound system is a crap!

First – I have only basic ideas about sound systems…I will apologize if my words/questions will sound hilarious for some of you …
Second – I’m looking for a professional installation in Chicagoland area - the car is brand new and I don’t want any surprises related to the “wrong” holes in the car or electrical faults…and if I think about warranty…or better not?
Third - I need some guidelines for the upgrade … at least I want to have an idea of how much all this goodies will cost me. After so many threads I’ve read here I was thinking for:

1. Replacing the front speakers with some 4”Morel component speakers (Dotech Ovation 4” or Hybrid Ovation 4” ) – here I have a question regarding the diameter of the tweeters – hybrid is 0.8” and Dotech is 1.1” - the OEM tweeters are 1” diameter - the 1.1” Dotech Ovations tweeter will fit the place? any issues for mounting regarding the size of the tweeters? The car have some black plastic blanks in the place the tweeters have to be – I need to order anything from BMW in order to fit properly the tweeter?

2. Replacing the rear speakers with some coaxial speakers (Integra Ovation XO 4”) or leave the OEM ones;

3. Replacing the under seat OEM 6” subwoofers with some midbass drivers (Hybrid Ovation Midbass 6” or Dotech Ovation Midbass 6”);

4. adding a JL stealth box with 2 x 13TW53 subwoofers in the trunk ;

5. dreaming on JBL MS-8 processor (it’s on the way?) with a JL amplifier XD600/6 or something similar (why not HD series? - ) – and another 2 channels amp for the subs

The budget for all those things is somewhere around 4000 – 4500 bucks…(the labor is not included here) so…I have few questions:
-Because my car don’t have any amp in the trunk and everything is wired from the HU - I guess that I have to run all the wires from the HU to the trunk…were the MS-8 processor and the amp will be mounted…true?
-The 270+ bucks price difference between Hybrid and Dotech speakers is something you can feel it in your ears or in your pocket only?
-The mounting depth of those Morel speakers is 2” – it’s enough space in the doors for that?
-It’s a good idea to show up with the midbass drivers under seat or better to forget about and cancel those channels?
-In the case I will use the under seats - I can run a 6 channels amp for 2 x front, 2 x rear, 2 x underseat and another 2 channel amp for the stealth box in the trunk?
-the coaxial drivers in the rear - will make any difference using component one in the back too….or I can survive leaving the OEM speakers in place?
-If I will reach my budget limit…where I can cut some costs/quality – speakers, amps ?
-Any idea how much will cost me the instalation?

I found some price for all this on woofersetc.com – any other cheaper place?

Last edited by dan the man; 05-24-2010 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan the man View Post

The budget for all those things is somewhere around 4000 – 4500 bucks…(the labor is not included here) so…I have few questions:
-Because my car don’t have any amp in the trunk and everything is wired from the HU - I guess that I have to run all the wires from the HU to the trunk…were the MS-8 processor and the amp will be mounted…true?
- Check this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=1#post7371077

Available for the OEM HU; a longer version for the iDrive will be available in several weeks.

Quote:
-The 270+ bucks price difference between Hybrid and Dotech speakers is something you can feel it in your ears or in your pocket only?
I have the Hybrid Ovations (list price $700-$800) and they sound great... but I bought them used at a fraction of their price. They replaced a set of Individual Audio OEM component speakers (list price $550) and to be honest with you, I don't notice the $150-$250 difference. But that's me...
Quote:
-The mounting depth of those Morel speakers is 2” – it’s enough space in the doors for that?
The Sedan doors will not have any issues with the Morels, the Coupe doors are shallower.
Quote:
-It’s a good idea to show up with the midbass drivers under seat or better to forget about and cancel those channels?
You need midbass in the cabin, and those OEM 6.5 woofers will not cut it. Get the biggest midbass driver that you can fit there. Morel 9" ADMW seems to be the favorite here.
Quote:
-In the case I will use the under seats - I can run a 6 channels amp for 2 x front, 2 x rear, 2 x underseat and another 2 channel amp for the stealth box in the trunk?
Yes.
Quote:
-the coaxial drivers in the rear - will make any difference using component one in the back too….or I can survive leaving the OEM speakers in place?
A $100 coaxial set in the rear will be more than enough.
Quote:
-If I will reach my budget limit…where I can cut some costs/quality – speakers, amps ?
Your budget is more than enough unless you go fancy with the shop, IMO.

Quote:
-Any idea how much will cost me the instalation?
VP Electricity will be able to tell you very soon.

Quote:
I found some price for all this on woofersetc.com – any other cheaper place?
VP Electricity sells that equipment as well, check with him.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
rkm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi

I would replace the front speakers and see what you think before spending any money on the rears- meaning any speakers or amplifier channels. I bought the MBQuart RUA213s and ended up using a Morel MT23 tweeter with the MBQuart crossover and I am very happy. They are both 6ohm tweeters. Bought another set of the quarts I was going to use in the rear, but found I don't need them at all. I think it takes away from my soundstage. I'm running the factory rears off the factory radio, they are just barely on, but it is perfect for my taste.

I'm using the JLXD600/6 and an Audison BitOne.1 I replaced the underseat woofers with a pair of used Logic7 8s I bought off of here. Sub is next. So far I'm very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:

I’m looking for a professional installation in Chicagoland area - the car is brand new and I don’t want any surprises related to the “wrong” holes in the car or electrical faults…and if I think about warranty…or better not?
I might have a Chicago recommendation. I will PM you.

Quote:

1. Replacing the front speakers with some 4”Morel component speakers (Dotech Ovation 4” or Hybrid Ovation 4” ) – here I have a question regarding the diameter of the tweeters – hybrid is 0.8” and Dotech is 1.1” - the OEM tweeters are 1” diameter - the 1.1” Dotech Ovations tweeter will fit the place? any issues for mounting regarding the size of the tweeters? The car have some black plastic blanks in the place the tweeters have to be – I need to order anything from BMW in order to fit properly the tweeter?
The two tweeters are identical in diameter. Not sure where the info you're getting is coming from... but it's probably their web site. Morel USA has been disappointing me a good bit with their web info and their support lately.

They are the same OD and the same dome diameter. The differences come in regarding resonant frequency and impedance curves.

Quote:
The car have some black plastic blanks in the place the tweeters have to be – I need to order anything from BMW in order to fit properly the tweeter?
We've actually pre-mounted tweeters in the sails before shipping, for some customers

Quote:

2. Replacing the rear speakers with some coaxial speakers (Integra Ovation XO 4”) or leave the OEM ones;
Short answer - leave the OEM ones until you've upped the front speakers to as good a set as you can possibly afford. The rears don't help as much as the fronts, by a long shot, and when you factor in the speaker cost and the amp channels cost, you can often plow that elsewhere into the system and get more return on investment.

Quote:
3. Replacing the under seat OEM 6” subwoofers with some midbass drivers (Hybrid Ovation Midbass 6” or Dotech Ovation Midbass 6”);
The OEM 6 has an 8" frame. When you pull it, you can't drop in a 6". You will want to either use a 6" in a sizing plate, or an 8" that fits. I wouldn't use either of those drivers, because I'd rather have an 8". Some folks disagree, and I know at least one or two guys who are happy with a Dyne 6 under there - but most of the notes a 6 is good at are useless from under there, and the notes an 8 is slightly better at than a 6, ARE useful under there.

Quote:
4. adding a JL stealth box with 2 x 13TW53 subwoofers in the trunk ;
OW! Serious?

Quote:
5. dreaming on JBL MS-8 processor (it’s on the way?) with a JL amplifier XD600/6 or something similar (why not HD series? - ) – and another 2 channels amp for the subs
People have a hardon for the XDs because they're cheap and small. There are other cheap small amps too... I guess it's like Megan Fox - I just don't see it.

The HD amps are the best-sounding Class D amps available today, I have no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #5
dan the man
Private
Rep

Guys – thanks for your help and advice. VP...I will be happy to get any Chicagoland workshop recommendation from you
From what you advised me I think I will go for 3 steps upgrade:
First step:
- replacing front speakers with Hybrid Ovation 4” components;
- replacing underseats with ADMW SW 9” 200W Subwoofer;
- going ahead with the OEM rear speakers;
Second step:
-JBL MS-8 when it will be available (I hope will be in 5-6 weeks);
-HD 600/4 (or HD900/5) to amp the 2 front channels and the 2 underseat subs;
-rear speakers amp directly by the MS-8;
Third step:
-thinking if it worth to replace the rear speakers with some aftermarket coaxials;
-BMW 3 series (E90/92) JBL stealthbox with the 2 x 13TW5 in the trunk amp by HD 750/1(or the HD900 5th channel)
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...4&model_id=140

Question: Coz I’m not sure about the third step …it’s a better idea to go ahead from the beginning with HD900/5 (4 channels for front speakers and underseat subs + the 5th one for the trunk stealthbox subs) instead of using HD600/4 + HD750/1? How much amp power I will need at the end of the day? I’m not planning to blow up the car/windows…
Also, instead of single channel - I have to think about using a 2 channels amp for the 2 subwoofers in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Guys – thanks for your help and advice. VP...I will be happy to get any Chicagoland workshop recommendation from you
From what you advised me I think I will go for 3 steps upgrade:
First step:
- replacing front speakers with Hybrid Ovation 4” components;
- replacing underseats with ADMW SW 9” 200W Subwoofer;
- going ahead with the OEM rear speakers;
Second step:
-JBL MS-8 when it will be available (I hope will be in 5-6 weeks);
-HD 600/4 (or HD900/5) to amp the 2 front channels and the 2 underseat subs;
-rear speakers amp directly by the MS-8;
Third step:
-thinking if it worth to replace the rear speakers with some aftermarket coaxials;
-BMW 3 series (E90/92) JBL stealthbox with the 2 x 13TW5 in the trunk amp by HD 750/1(or the HD900 5th channel)
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...4&model_id=140

Question: Coz I’m not sure about the third step …it’s a better idea to go ahead from the beginning with HD900/5 (4 channels for front speakers and underseat subs + the 5th one for the trunk stealthbox subs) instead of using HD600/4 + HD750/1? How much amp power I will need at the end of the day? I’m not planning to blow up the car/windows…
Also, instead of single channel - I have to think about using a 2 channels amp for the 2 subwoofers in the trunk?
Good choices on the equipment. If I were you, I would get the HD600/4 for the front stage and wait with the trunk subs until you have everything in place. Who knows, perhaps the bass from the Morels will be enough for you?! Also, you need at least 500W to do those JLs any justice at all, and the Morel 9's won't be happy with 75W either so the 900/5 won't be the right amp for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You should enable PM's...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
dan the man
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
You should enable PM's...
Sorry for that...I've done it ...u can PM now
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Dan - If you don't mind me interjecting on your thread...

One of my friends just happens to be a Morel Dealer so I wanted to ask from reading what VP said, what do you recommend amp wise for the Components + and the ADMW SW 9” 200W Subwoofer? How is the ADMW SW 9” 200W Subwoofer fitment?

Are those components the largest Morel Components that will bolt right in? ('10 335D E90/no L7/yes I-Drive). Install will be done by a pro.

Are these Morels bright at all? I'm into a more warm sound. edit: read some of Vp's posts and others, they indicated it was a very warm sound. Sidenote: It's a shame a/d/s is no longer selling speakers, one of my first decent components were a/d/s.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics

Last edited by OC Guy; 05-27-2010 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Yes, they are definitely warm.

They won't bolt right in - nothing does. We have 4" rings made from steel and we make 8" rings from 3/4" MDF (and we still have to mod the enclosure a bit).

We are currently testing several other comp sets and hope to have more options soon.

What shop does your friend have?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #11
dan the man
Private
Rep

I understand that the E92 doors are shallower than E90...Morel Hybrid are 50mm depth mounting...anyone mounted before those Morels or similar mounting depth speakers in an E92 door?
What about the OEM BMW speakers...how much is the depth mounting?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
mikegronholz
Texan By The Grace of God
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport

Even though the mid bass speakers are under the front seats in the '10 and '11 cars, are the openings still under the rear seats for the 8" or 9" upgraded speakers ?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
FoShizzle
aka Mike
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
- Check this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=1#post7371077

Available for the OEM HU; a longer version for the iDrive will be available in several weeks.
Another e90post thread magically vanishes?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJabb View Post
Another e90post thread magically vanishes?
It was deleted because I'm not a vendor here...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
TROOPER
Best Of British
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i X-Drive Coupe

WOW, are the speakers in the 335i really only 4", that sucks.

I fear not getting much improvement even if I upgraqde to better quality speakers,
4" really doesn't sound like it can push out good sound.

I'm considering upgrading a 2011 335i coupe, so it's good to find some threads on the subject anyway, thanks guys.
      07-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

You can make an E9x sound WAY better than most cars on the market using factory locations.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407085

That will tell you what you have.

Stop worrying about having 4" mids. They play mids much better than 6.5". And with 8" locations underseat, you aren't screwed by any means when you upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #17
TROOPER
Best Of British
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
You can make an E9x sound WAY better than most cars on the market using factory locations.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407085

That will tell you what you have.

Stop worrying about having 4" mids. They play mids much better than 6.5". And with 8" locations underseat, you aren't screwed by any means when you upgrade.
So just upgrading the speakers on a base audio system is really going to make a noticeable difference?

This is my girlfriends car and she's not really a bass/subwoofer junkie, although that may be in the future.

Right now she's looking for more clarity, although she doesn't think the audio system is actually that loud.

I thought this was an interesting thread, and some nice info on speaker etc etc.
      07-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
So just upgrading the speakers on a base audio system is really going to make a noticeable difference?

This is my girlfriends car and she's not really a bass/subwoofer junkie, although that may be in the future.

Right now she's looking for more clarity, although she doesn't think the audio system is actually that loud.

I thought this was an interesting thread, and some nice info on speaker etc etc.
The problem with that MY2011 base audio is that everything on it is real crapola, the speakers, the missing tweeters, the power and the signal going to those speakers.

So any upgrade will end up being more than just a change of speakers.

You could get the Alpine OEM retrofit kit or create your own. The Alpine kit has a 4 channel amp, a front component set of Logic7 speakers and an OEM harness to connect all these parts to your OEM HU/iDrive; the idea being to bi-amp the front doors and the underseat woofers with that amp. Most of the forum members (mostly in bimmerfest.com) getting that kit are happy with it.

You can create your own "kit" as well, and for that I would recommend a MS-8 processor amplifier and a pair of Rainbow components for the front doors. You could replace the underseat woofers as well, but you can try the OEM woofers for a while. That will be a very simple and effective upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
TROOPER
Best Of British
United_States
Rep

I'll check that out thanks.

Got a link for the Alpine kit, or an install thread?

Thanks
      07-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
I'll check that out thanks.

Got a link for the Alpine kit, or an install thread?

Thanks
You can always search, you know?
Appreciate 0