E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jb4 vs ppk vs dinan vs ??? 335i

11-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Esveesh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

Jb4 vs ppk vs dinan vs ??? 335i

Hey first off I'm new to bmw got a 2007 335i coupe 52k no warranty. Been looking around for power boosts torque boosts but also I drive 130 miles a day commute so I'm looking for something's to get me into the 12 second quarter mile range without jeopardizing the lifespan of my car. Any pros out there know the best route to take? Only mod right now is a quad Remus exhaust that sounds amazing will put electric cut outs next week.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
iturbo_bmw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 530i

search my friend. all the answers are out there..

but jb4 ftw
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Welcome to the club! Not to be a smart-ass but....start by having 2k set aside for the repairs you will have to do within the next 60k miles, since you'll be driving 130 miles daily it will come up quick. For a 2007 between now and 110k, if not already replaced you can expect:

New vanos solenoids
New vacuum lines
New boost solenoids
All fluids at some point between now and then (ps, trans, rear Diff, etc.)
Oil filter housing gasket
All plugs, coils, and later in injectors
Wp& tstat
Belt
Maybe a valve cover
Cross your fingers and hope your dme doesn't fry or your ps pump hits the subframe.
Other misc. maintenance.

Lol all that aside, take a look at Cobb, they are a good tune if you prefer a software tune. Many others use jb4 which is a piggy back but great also. Those are really the main two.

Good luck!
      11-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Welterweight
Major
Rep
Drives: Truck in snow, coupe in summer

Garage List
Grab a used Cobb V2. Can be had for 400 and will give you a huge boost with a 10 minute download that's reversible in the same amount of time without opening your hood.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Esveesh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welterweight
Grab a used Cobb V2. Can be had for 400 and will give you a huge boost with a 10 minute download that's reversible in the same amount of time without opening your hood.
Why Cobb? V2 over v3? Do you use it?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
Esveesh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad
Welcome to the club! Not to be a smart-ass but....start by having 2k set aside for the repairs you will have to do within the next 60k miles, since you'll be driving 130 miles daily it will come up quick. For a 2007 between now and 110k, if not already replaced you can expect:

New vanos solenoids
New vacuum lines
New boost solenoids
Wp& tstat
Belt
Maybe a valve cover
Cross your fingers and hope your dme doesn't fry or your ps pump hits the subframe.
Other misc. maintenance.

Lol all that aside, take a look at Cobb, they are a good tune if you prefer a software tune. Many others use jb4 which is a piggy back but great also. Those are really the main two.

Good luck!
Thanx I'm probably going to buy a warranty that can cover everything so I won't have to worry about that
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esveesh View Post
Why Cobb? V2 over v3?
Cheaper. V3 is nicer but it loads up the same tunes as V2.

As for a 335i as a 130 mile/day commuter car all I have to say is make provisions. If you can't handle $1000+ repairs (water pump, valve cover gasket), $600 repairs (oil filter housing gaskets, from arm bushing replacement) your in for a surprise. If you got it like that (technically if you own one you should) enjoy the cheap power.

It doesn't take much to get 12 second capable. All I have is a tune (using $200 cable and BT software), 5" intercooler and e40 ethanol mix. I haven't been to the track so I gauge its capabilities like all people do: Coyote 5.0 Mustangs lol. If those are 12 second capable stock then I'm deeper 12 capable and I'll leave it there.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esveesh
Quote:

New vanos solenoids
New vacuum lines
New boost solenoids
Wp& tstat
Belt
Maybe a valve cover
Other misc. maintenance.

Good luck!
Thanx I'm probably going to buy a warranty that can cover everything so I won't have to worry about that
Smart! You'll still want to proactively take care of some things that aren't covered though (fluids and possible tune related misfires)

Get all new plugs forst. Then get a Cobb, IC, and downpipes and your all set. Think about supplementing that with an upgraded cp with dv's/bov and your golden.
      11-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Smart! You'll still want to proactively take care of some things that aren't covered though (fluids and possible tune related misfires)

Get all new plugs forst. Then get a Cobb, IC, and downpipes and your all set. Think about supplementing that with an upgraded cp with dv's/bov and your golden.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esveesh View Post
Hey first off I'm new to bmw got a 2007 335i coupe 52k no warranty. Been looking around for power boosts torque boosts but also I drive 130 miles a day commute so I'm looking for something's to get me into the 12 second quarter mile range without jeopardizing the lifespan of my car. Any pros out there know the best route to take? Only mod right now is a quad Remus exhaust that sounds amazing will put electric cut outs next week.
Feel free to send me an email if you're interested in talking about options. I have ran all of the main tunes and can make a few recommendations based on what you're looking to achieve.

Tuning is tuning regardless of how you get there... as long as you're happy with where you are when you're finished. But, most of us find there really is no end to tuning once we start.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
Esveesh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esveesh
Quote:

New vanos solenoids
New vacuum lines
New boost solenoids
Wp& tstat
Belt
Maybe a valve cover
Other misc. maintenance.

Good luck!

Ok thanx I just looked into those things I'll keep a log on all my progress and diy it might help others in the future
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Lots of info on this forum about JB4 and Cobb.
you wont regret it no matter which tune you get

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0