E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Mirror Scratched!

02-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #1
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Mirror Scratched!

I parked my car today at Univesity, and when got back to it - there was a note on my windsheild:

"I'm really sorry, I slightly scratched you side mirror.
here is my number if you wanna spk to me 082*******"

Eh. Pisses me off some poeple can't drive- I called - and it's some sweet little 1st year girl and she sounded all worried. Apparently, she completely knocked her mirror off - anyways. I told her not to worry about it - I'll just get it fixed myself. She thanked me for being so nice about it...but I mean - what can you do - it's not her fault she can't drive.

There is damage on the plastic side ring and there is damage on the painted part...

Here are the pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Broken1
Addict
Rep

The black plastic bit is cheap to replace... (R 233.87)

Anyone know how to take the mirror apart so that I can replace it? Any instuctions. The painted part might just have to stay "damaged"
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
shanmand
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco Blue

I actually got a guy at Lyndhurst Auto to do it for me for R250 when some maniac in a truck decided to open his door as I was approaching. Just go to Lyndhurst Auto in Corlette Drive and ask for their guy who does dent repairs (I forgot his name). He did a really good job - It takes about three hours to dry.
Monaco Blue 325i; Beige Interior; Poplar Wood; Professional Navigation; Bluetooth; Lights Package; Electric Sport Seats; Sport Steering; Logic 7; Sunroof; PDC front & rear; Rain Sensor; Bi-Xenon; CD-Changer
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmand
I actually got a guy at Lyndhurst Auto to do it for me for R250 when some maniac in a truck decided to open his door as I was approaching. Just go to Lyndhurst Auto in Corlette Drive and ask for their guy who does dent repairs (I forgot his name). He did a really good job - It takes about three hours to dry.
For the painted part??? Or did he fix the painted and plastic part?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
shanmand
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco Blue

Actually my painted cover was cut in half during the episode, he fixed and repainted it. It really looks new.
Monaco Blue 325i; Beige Interior; Poplar Wood; Professional Navigation; Bluetooth; Lights Package; Electric Sport Seats; Sport Steering; Logic 7; Sunroof; PDC front & rear; Rain Sensor; Bi-Xenon; CD-Changer
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 08:01 AM   #6
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanmand
Actually my painted cover was cut in half during the episode, he fixed and repainted it. It really looks new.
Thanks for the tip. I might pop there sometime this week and ask!! :-) If I can do it myself though - I might just replace the plastic part. It's cheap enough R223 from Hyde Park Auto.

I know someone on this forum knows how to take the mirror apart - so that i can replace the piece (Part No. 511 6717 0563)*

*Edited to fix part no.

Last edited by Broken1; 02-21-2006 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

you mean part 51 16 7 170 563

Ill try and look up how to replace
      02-21-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
you mean part 51 16 7 170 563

Ill try and look up how to replace
Haha, yes I do. Donno how the 2 slipped in there. Edited to fix :-) Thanks E90Fleet.

I tried getting a price on the Hi Gloss Satin Chrome pieces, but BMW didn't seem to have the part no. (511 680 36 571)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Doesnt look easy

They say you need to put something about as thick as a ice-cream stick behide the mirror and gently pull it away from its mountings from 4 corners, while being carefull not to break it.

Then remove the electric drive by removing the screw in the middle of it holding it to the housing, and then pulling the drive out.

You can then see clips on the inside where the front painted housing clips on, and unclip it

Then you can see the multiple clips holding the part you need to replace to the piece connected to the car.
use a thin screwdriver to unclip them

Assembly is reverse
      02-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
Haha, yes I do. Donno how the 2 slipped in there. Edited to fix :-) Thanks E90Fleet.

I tried getting a price on the Hi Gloss Satin Chrome pieces, but BMW didn't seem to have the part no. (511 680 36 571)
You mean 51 16 8 036 571 isnt available on the dealers system for ordering ?
Happens with parts that havent ever been ordered
They can usually special request it straight from BMW SA

But it may look a bit odd, since the Hi-gloss ones have their base piece against the car in gloss aswell, where yours is matt
      02-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #11
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
oh wow, you're either really, REALLY nice, or have extra time and cash in your pocket. why didn't you at least make a deal to split the cost or give her a quote so that you can just drop it off at a shop and pick it the next day?

i mean, if you don't worry about the cost, i'd at least worry for the hassle you have to go through now (research, get the best price, find out what to do, how to do it, f-ing it up, fixing it again, etc., etc)

but hey, i envy you for being so nice and letting it go like this.

good luck!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
You mean 51 16 8 036 571 isnt available on the dealers system for ordering ?
Happens with parts that havent ever been ordered
They can usually special request it straight from BMW SA

But it may look a bit odd, since the Hi-gloss ones have their base piece against the car in gloss aswell, where yours is matt
I thought I'd get a price and see - but the guy keeps telling me it's the wrong part number - it's not on his system. (In a concerned voice " Where do you get these part numbers from" - in a calm voice "The BMW parts catalogue")

Anyways...I'll probably just stick with the matt one. It's R223 from Hyde Park.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 09:00 AM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

My dealer actually made a misake transferring my order from the order sheet to the build sheet and added exterior dimmabble mirrors when I only asked for interior

But that option also adds foldable mirrors, so I left it like it was when I approved the build sheet, which seems like a good thing because I will be able to easily stow my mirrors when parking
      02-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #14
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
My dealer actually made a misake transferring my order from the order sheet to the build sheet and added exterior dimmabble mirrors when I only asked for interior

But that option also adds foldable mirrors, so I left it like it was when I approved the build sheet, which seems like a good thing because I will be able to easily stow my mirrors when parking
Yup...I should have gotten that...but I didn't know these things, way back in June '05. Oh well.

It's not serious - the mirror- but if I can fix it for R200 bucks - I'd rather have it fixed than not. I just hope it isn't too dificult to get that piece off. I've treid a little to get the painted cover off - but I can't figure out where it clips and I don't want to break it....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #15
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
I thought I'd get a price and see - but the guy keeps telling me it's the wrong part number - it's not on his system. (In a concerned voice " Where do you get these part numbers from" - in a calm voice "The BMW parts catalogue")
Yes, they type the number you give them into their price system, and if BMW SA hasnt put that part on it yet it says invalid part number. This is often done with restricted items like some M3 parts

Some parts guys know who to phone at BMW SA to special order a part not on the dealer system, but they usually want a VIN and ID number. The BMW SA person then looks it up on their international system and orders it.

I know the parts guys that dont know me get freaked out when I tell them what page to get the parts on their system.

The best is often when im at a dealer ill ask the service manager to check what CIP verion their SSS computer is running. They get totally freaked out when I have to show them what buttons to press to see the version and want to know what work I do for BMW
      02-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Yup...I should have gotten that...but I didn't know these things, way back in June '05. Oh well.

It's not serious - the mirror- but if I can fix it for R200 bucks - I'd rather have it fixed than not. I just hope it isn't too dificult to get that piece off. I've treid a little to get the painted cover off - but I can't figure out where it clips and I don't want to break it....
As soon as you have the mirror glass out you will see the clips for the cover.

Just be carefull with the glass, its not cheap
      02-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #17
england1987
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [7.50]
I parked my car at school in a satelite parking lot. I was sat in the car, because I was to early. Then I heard and fealt a thud. Some B**** had opened her car door into my car, without knowing I was inside. You should have seen the look on her face when she realized I was still in my car. She didn't say sorry or anything. She just walked off at a quick pace. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate parking my car at school. I will now park my car as far away as possible from the bus pick up point.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #18
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
As soon as you have the mirror glass out you will see the clips for the cover.

Just be carefull with the glass, its not cheap
*sigh*

That sounds quite difficult. I think I'll try that dent guy at lyndhurts auto - see how much he quotes me and make a decision!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #19
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
sorry for this broken but at least she left a note with a number where i live people who dont know how to drive and damage other peoples cars usually do a hit a run.
      02-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #20
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinet78
sorry for this broken but at least she left a note with a number where i live people who dont know how to drive and damage other peoples cars usually do a hit a run.
It's the same here. She must just be a good person.

Ps. I tried taking that glass out with a shatterproof ruler - figured the ruler would break before the glass - and I can't do it. The glass doesn't want to come off easily, and I'm affraid to use force incase it breaks. *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #21
Broken1
Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
oh wow, you're either really, REALLY nice, or have extra time and cash in your pocket. why didn't you at least make a deal to split the cost or give her a quote so that you can just drop it off at a shop and pick it the next day?

i mean, if you don't worry about the cost, i'd at least worry for the hassle you have to go through now (research, get the best price, find out what to do, how to do it, f-ing it up, fixing it again, etc., etc)

but hey, i envy you for being so nice and letting it go like this.

good luck!
I am really nice - but I figure for less than $50 - it's not worth the hassle of fighting, feeling bad, having a girl burst out crying etc. Even if it costs $100 it's still worth it to just pay and let it go - even just for my stress levels.

I bought a belt for more than that on the weekend. Eh. If it was the whole mirror that needed replacing, then it would be another story.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2006, 10:02 AM   #22
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
It's the same here. She must just be a good person.

Ps. I tried taking that glass out with a shatterproof ruler - figured the ruler would break before the glass - and I can't do it. The glass doesn't want to come off easily, and I'm affraid to use force incase it breaks. *sigh*
Ive only done it on a E36 and it takes quite a bit of force.

Try twisting the ruler instead of pulling with it, and stay as close to the middle of the mirror as you can.

Or maybe try a piece of string that you put in the top and pull out the bottom, then pull both ends towards your.

Unfortunately there is no foolproof way to do it where you wont break the glass if you pull too hard