E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DPF Removal?

09-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
EssexIan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d MSport

The main reason I let Stan do the re-map is because his explanation of what was required to delete DPF was the most convincing of anyone I spoke to.

As would seem obvious removal of DPF massively reduces back pressure on turbos, this means how they spool up needs to be carefully controlled otherwise they will overspeed readily with obvious consequences. There were also a lot of things Stan noticed when researcing/ developing his DPF removal software that changed when the DPF was removed that needed correcting to ensure the engine and its ancillaries remained reliable. He is a very interesting man to talk to on this subject!

Ian
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Interesting thread - been following quite closely.

For a car of 47k mileage, how am I able to tell whether or not I should have my DPF removed? Is there a way to tell whether the car is giving any problems or if any probs on the horizon.. I don’t want to land myself in a sticky spot and have problems so just wondering if there is a rule of thumb with these things as such or purely a ‘touch and go’ scenario / case by case.
      09-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #25
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Im quite willing to be educated and it would be nice if an expert would chime in. I have read about overspeed. I havent had it properly explained. I am not as techie as I used to be but I have spent a fair bit of time twiddling turbos when you could do it with spanners. The speed of the turbine is controlled by the wastegate plus engine rpm. Less back pressure = more turbine speed. Thats just what we want, less lag. In fact if we could, we could make it instant. At low rpm it isnt going to overboost as it isnt spinning fast enough. As rpm builds turbine speed increases as does boost. Wastgate (VNT in our case) controls boost and hence rpm of turbine. It is possible to get overboost spikes but that usually throws codes cuts fuel and all sorts.
In the old days we used to crank up the wastegates to increase boost. Car goes faster untill you hit some kind of limit usually electronic boost limit in ecu. That was all we could have untill some bright spark reverse engineered an ecu and removed this limit. Then we could have whatever boost we wanted untill something else broke, that was how all this chipping business started. I managed to blow off all the hoses on a cosworth once, think it was over 4bar.

AW If its any use when I bought my car at 58k it had codes stored for blocked dpf bank1. It drove great with no other signs. I deleted the code and had months trouble free. At 68k one problem after another and as I have said I can force regen myself but decided to delete dpf. For your average non enthusiast its probably best left alone.

Anyone please feel free to chime in...

Regards
Adrian
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
raf555
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Had my DPF removed a few wks ago and no problems

It had been mapped before removal but proper shifts when foot is down.

does smoke on acceleration.

So need to get used to black tailpipes
Appreciate 0