E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Questions About E92 Brake Wear Sensors

09-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
mrmax1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Questions About E92 Brake Wear Sensors

So, I've had my 08 335i coupe for a year now, and my brakes are squealing. It started out as a light squeal only when backing out of my drive way, but now I'm getting pretty consistent squeal during stops while driving. I do not, however, have any warning lights indicating low brake pads. Is this normal? Barring the possibility of faulty brake pad sensors, is it normal to experience squealing brakes for some time before the sensor is tripped?

Secondly, am I correct in assuming that the squealing is coming from the built-in wear indicators on the pads themselves, as is typical with other(if not older) cars? My rear pads have about 3/16" to about 1/4" of visible pad left. I feel like they should probably be replaced, but am concerned about the lack of warnings about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

I have a 2007 e90 335i and I had the exact same issue.
Stops, turns, and back ups, squealing.
And....... Brake Dust.

So, I decided to invest the brakes and rotors.
Got beck/arnley rotors... Not zimmerman coated.
And Akebono euro brake pads.
And beck/arnley brake sensors...new.

No more noise, no more dust.

My sensor did not trip either and without taking the wheel or caliper off, it looked like I had plenty of pad left.
Guess what, pads was very low, sensor was just stating to wear.
Not enough to trip.

If you take my route, buy the sensors, don't cheap out on thinking the old once will do it, cause your car will void them.
If you reset brake minder in the dash then the car will know you did not replace them and kill them, till you replace them.
You could try to disconnect them and then reset the dash, but not sure if they will reset without the the sensors being plugged in.

I didn't have to replace the rotors, but I got a good deal from a friend for 250 for all 4 rotors.

Go to "place for brakes .com"
Great deals there.

Just change your pads.
Make sure to sand down metal where need be, apply anti-seize.
And "CRC Quite Brake"

Cheap and good stuff.

Also, in this section look up "squeaking brake noise finally solved" by OneBadMoFo.

Regards,
DN
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
mrmax1984
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Thanks for the reply. For some reason I just now got the notice. I did purchase a rear kit(new rotors, pads, and sensor) but held off on installing them. The squealing is much worse now, but the sensor still hasn't tripped. Going to replace them all this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

What pads did you get?
Did you apply CRC-quite brake?
Did you apply anti-seize also on pad sliding brackets?

Are your rotors oem?

Dust causes brake noise.

Also when changing the pads.
While the wheel is off, take an SOS pad to the inside golf the Rim and clean it.

DN
Appreciate 0