E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil collecting on the front turbo..

03-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Oil collecting on the front turbo..

Was under the car installing my new fmic and followed the inlet tubes back to the turbos. I noticed some oil gelling on the v band of the front side turbo just above the water pump. I just had the water pump replaced under warranty and I am wondering if the tech bumped the oil line to the turbo and compromised the seal?? If I just changed the oil, and I am sloppy putting it in getting some on the engine cover, is it possible the extra dripped the engine and wound up on the front side turbo? Its not the DP v band but a smaller one in front of the turbo. Didn't seem wet but turbo would get so hot that even if it was leaking that oil would be dry if it touched the outside of it at all... Wondering if anyone has seen this before and had it not be a failing turbo. Turbo is less than 1 year old.
      03-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Oh, also noticed some play in my hot side intercooler inlet tubes. There seems to be some kind of heat sheilding on this tube and its covering up a joint in the pipe. Not sure if its suppose to be there, if its broken, or if it is a clamp come loose.
      03-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Looks like BMW left a V band clamp loose during my water pump replacement. I tightened it down and the pipes are rigid once again. I imagine I had a bit of a boost leak as there was oil all over the v band.