E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Floor jack advice

07-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
R608
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M-Sport (RWD/6MT)

Floor jack advice

I'd like to get a floor jack to make seasonal tire changes easier and just give myself a better way to get under the car (I know... jack stands if I'm getting under it for any reason). I've looked at some of the jacks available at Sears, Napa, Pepboys, Autozone, and Harbor Freight (the stores I'm aware of locally), and thought about ordering from somewhere like Norther Tool + Equipment.

I found this jack at Harbor Freight. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with their products like this? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't want to buy cheap only to have to buy another in a couple years. Is this a good or bad idea?

Also, are there any downsides to the aluminum racing jacks aside from cost? I the aluminum for its lower weight and not being susceptible to rust, but I was looking between these two at Napa and was surprised at the difference in warranty coverage.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...431_0006396327
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...402_0006396327

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Usually the hydrolic piston fails long before the rest, so the difference in warranty would rather indicate a cheap hydrolic system rather than any defective design in the aluminum.

I have bought the cheapest O'Reilly model. It served its purpose for 10 times honorably (required lot of pumping, but it was the cheapest right), then failed miserably. Got my money out of it, so to speak, but would not buy again. I had a pretty cheap Torin for my motorcycle and it did a better job over time.
Appreciate 0