E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 battery replacement

09-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

E90 battery replacement

Hi,

I have a E90 with almost 70K miles (out of warranty now). I saw some threads online where people were having issues due to the aged battery and someone (online) recommended to have it replaced around 55K miles. I was wondering if this is true and if we should replace the battery when we reach a certain mileage? I really don't want to be stranded in the middle of freeway because of a battery issue. Please advise.

Thanks!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
Hi,

I have a E90 with almost 70K miles (out of warranty now). I saw some threads online where people were having issues due to the aged battery and someone (online) recommended to have it replaced around 55K miles. I was wondering if this is true and if we should replace the battery when we reach a certain mileage? I really don't want to be stranded in the middle of freeway because of a battery issue. Please advise.

Thanks!

Battery seems to die out at about 4 - 5 years, my 07, with a build date of 06 went out this year.

You'll notice that the car is having a harder time starting, also can't keep the radio on while the engine isn't running etc.

at that point you should change the battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Sounds just like me earlier this year. Average life of our batteries are 4-5years so if you're on your factory one -- buy a new one! First signs were that my car wouldn't start instantaneously which I didn't pay much attention to until the battery no longer had enough juice to power all the modules so it eventually threw safety restraint lights, steering, etc. Definitely get it changed because when the cold rolls in, your weak batteries will fail.

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!
      09-12-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for your advice! So will there will be any warning on the dash or something like that when the battery is about to fall apart? It would be unfair if the BMW system doesn't warn us on this regard. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who don't even know about the battery replacement cycle of every 4-5 years. For example, I wasn't even aware of this as I was expecting my BMW to put out a warning on the dash. I only came to learn about this after reading some random threads online.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
GAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

What's is the price for the battery and have it registered usually?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
2ndname
Autobot
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Auto~NO~Go

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
I paid around $350 here in the Bay Area. This is for a new battery, registered and installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #7
gindajatt1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a criminal!

$170.00 here in Dallas including tax
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Ive had my factory battery for over 6 yrs. No issues. . .yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
jvsxn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e-ninety

Quote:
Thanks for your advice! So will there will be any warning on the dash or something like that when the battery is about to fall apart? It would be unfair if the BMW system doesn't warn us on this regard. I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who don't even know about the battery replacement cycle of every 4-5 years. For example, I wasn't even aware of this as I was expecting my BMW to put out a warning on the dash. I only came to learn about this after reading some random threads online.
I'm pretty sure it's your battery but even if it's not, you're due for a replacement anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndname View Post
I paid around $350 here in the Bay Area. This is for a new battery, registered and installed.
I got a better deal than that
Which dealership do you go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Ive had my factory battery for over 6 yrs. No issues. . .yet.
Yikes. How many miles? It'll also depends on how you use your electronics too. If another light besides my safety restraint popped up, I would've ignored it until one day I get stranded because of a dead battery. I didn't even realize that start-up was sluggish until my body shop guy mentioned it to me. The day after that I had lights pop up and when I changed out my battery, everything went away.
      09-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #10
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfabry View Post
What's is the price for the battery and have it registered usually?
I paid 120.00 for the battery Everstart Maxx 94R, according to whom I contacted via e-mail - Johnson Controls the Battery is rated at 80AH.

I programmed my battery from 90AH to 80AH and registered the battery. Did this myself. Though.

Assuming you have to purchase a cable tack on about 20 bucks more and a learning curve for coding cars.

Before I was aware of the AH I registered the battery only.

Everything working good now.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Munkey View Post
I'm pretty sure it's your battery but even if it's not, you're due for a replacement anyways.

I got a better deal than that
Which dealership do you go to?

Yikes. How many miles? It'll also depends on how you use your electronics too. If another light besides my safety restraint popped up, I would've ignored it until one day I get stranded because of a dead battery. I didn't even realize that start-up was sluggish until my body shop guy mentioned it to me. The day after that I had lights pop up and when I changed out my battery, everything went away.

Ive got about 93k miles. I do normal driving including highway miles 90% of the time. Ive seen the yellow battery icon when I leave radio on about 3 min or longer after I shut-off car, but then radio turns off and cannot turn it back on till i push the "start-on" button engine off. Some people say its the key fob's battery but not sure. I always forget to try my other key fob to see if thats the problem. Other than that my car starts fine everytime for now. Will see in the cold weather how it goes. I am in San Diego so we dont get really that of a cold weather right?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
KevinWatkinsBMW
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi

I went to my local PepBoys and bought a new battery based on what the computer said was an equal for around $120 and installed it myself......don't be scared, it's very easy install. Save you alot of money from the dealer.

Also the battery may be smaller, but no worry the Ah is higher on the replacement to begin with and the car runs smooth. I've also noticed the pick up has increased!?!? weird.

They said you need to 're-calibrate' the computer on the car that only the dealer can do.....but I guess I can do that in time, haven't seen any real errors.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
e9012345
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWatkinsBMW View Post
I went to my local PepBoys and bought a new battery based on what the computer said was an equal for around $120 and installed it myself......don't be scared, it's very easy install. Save you alot of money from the dealer.

Also the battery may be smaller, but no worry the Ah is higher on the replacement to begin with and the car runs smooth. I've also noticed the pick up has increased!?!? weird.

They said you need to 're-calibrate' the computer on the car that only the dealer can do.....but I guess I can do that in time, haven't seen any real errors.
Is it normal for the terminals to spark when I put them on? And I'm very careful as to what I touch.. what are the rules to prevent yourself from getting hurt? What should I not touch?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWatkinsBMW View Post

Can u share pictures of the battery you bought, brand, model number etc..? $120 its not a bad deal. I ll start searching for a new replacement soon. Mine is 7 yrs old cant complaint there...
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
KevinWatkinsBMW
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xi

It's important to watch yourself with every installation.......red terminal is mounted first then the black......also make sure you put the 'red casing' back just as you found it.......take your time.....no rush.

I don't have pictures right now, but I can tell you that you have to use the foam insert to wedge against the battery to make it fit 'snugger'. The metal bracket that you put on last should do the trick.....

The battery is located here; http://www.pepboys.com/parts/batteri...-6299630LDOHC/

FYI - They install the battery for free, just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
My car is an '06 and I'm still on the original battery. 90% highway driving probably helps. Runs like a clock, never any errors.

Edit: .. not to mention being through brutally cold Canadian weathers.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
phillip@bmpdesign
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Just like several of the other routine maintenance parts on our cars, the battery is monitored and the way your car interacts with it is based on that information. Essentially, your car keeps track of the age of the battery and controls the amount of current from the alternator to the battery based on that age. The older the battery the more current run through as it plans for an increase in resistance through the cars electrical system as the battery ages and begins to degrade.

If you replace your battery and don't tell the car that it has a fresh battery, it will run over-voltage through your cars electrical system. This can lead to several problems. Best case scenario: you burn out your brand new $120-$150 battery in a year. Worst case scenario: you have to replace your ecm, dcm, or other electrical component and have it programmed to your car. We have seen our share of both at our service shop.

Also note the type of battery that you use as a replacement, because your car needs to know that as well. It regulates the current through it depending on if its lead core or glass mat differently and needs to know what kind you have. If you have a way to reprogram the age of the battery at home, thats great, but I would try to replace it with the same type of battery that you are taking out of the trunk.
Like us on facebook!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Have you guys tried to use a trickle charger like CTEK 3300 before replacing your battery?

I'm at 4 years with 65K miles. No issues with the battery.