E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Odd Suspension Noise When Turning

02-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
For3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 328i 6MT

Odd Suspension Noise When Turning

So I have put on about 2000 miles in my new to me E92 2009 328i. Unfortunately I have run into my first issue. Late last week I started noticing an odd noise when turning. I will break down what I am hearing and when.

1)Clicking noise on driver's side sounding like it is coming from the dash area (usually upper left).
2)Noise happens when car is in motion but only when turning or changing lanes.
3)Noise happens almost in a delayed like fashion with regards to steering.
4)I feel like it might have as much to do with weight transfer as it does steering.
5)I only ever hear it, never feel it in the steering. Steering feels normal.
6)Noise sounds like a click or a spring letting go with a series of smaller sounds. Think diving board "boiinng" like echo but much quieter and different in tone.

I tested out moving the wheels back and forth in the parking lot while stationary with engine running and there is no noise and my colleague looked at my driver side spring and said it wasn't binding.

My research indicates it could be a strut mount that needs to be replaced but I only hear this noise when steering, never in a straight line. Also car must be in motion and I get the sense it must be somewhat related to shifting weight.

I am puzzled so any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Chappers 71
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SE

Garage List
I had a creaking, clicking noise when manoeuvring at low speed & when parking.
I replaced the front suspension top mounts & that cured it.
E34 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc '67 resto-cal beetle
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
For3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 328i 6MT

Thanks Chappers. That is certainly one possibility and one I feel might be the most likely culprit. I've posted a video to see if anyone else had any ideas. Sorry for the poor quality. I was going approximately 35mph when I recorded this. I deliberately moved the steeering wheel back and forth quickly to capture the sound. If I am driving slow / turning slow and keeping car on an even plane there is no noise. It seems to be tied to a weight balance shift, even if slight. When parking stationary and turning wheels, there is no noise.

I got an oil change this weekend and my indy shop didn't have time for a full review but they did note my thrust bearing is worn and needs replacement. Could this be the cause?

Appreciate 0