E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Do I have this right? 500x1 channel @ 4ohm....

11-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #23
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
I see...

Well I did go ahead and do this (thanks for the tip makkan, didn't know it was that simple) -- and I do have the 10 speaker setup (separate tweeters on the rear deck)

That being said, I'm confused about this tweeter hole question you have here... makkan you dont seem to have a post 2011, therefore do you not already have holes in the back deck for tweeters? Or do these some how just sit on top of the deck requiring you to actually cut holes to fit aftermarket ones in there?

If I've got to cut holes, I'll just stick the coaxial route you guys suggested above.

If there is already a hole there (since there is already a separate tweeter there) - would I be better served to get a component set for the rear too then? -- or since its just the rear, can I get away on skimmping here a bit? if it doesn't affect my ears up front, I dont really care to spend the extra $$ on a component set if not necessary)

There were no tweeters on that car. My plan was to drill new holes but tweeters sat there without drilling new holes. (enough gap on the inner side)
To keep them there, I used velcro. And speaker grill kept them there from the top.

Co-axials V/S components.... If you are considering DLS 424, than their co-axial and compoenents look similar on the papers. So I do not see one should prefer components unless they want the tweeters on the door pillars.

You choose what you like there. Personally, I would go for co-axial as it saves the hassle of hidding cross overs. And I would leave OEM tweeters there but disconnected.
      11-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 18 Tanzanite Blue F80 ZCP

Thanks for the input... yea I'll probably just go the coaxial route for the rear for the cost savings if nothing else...

rainbow sl100 - have my attention right now.

For the front I'm still considering primarily the Dotech Ovation Comp 4 - Morel 4" 2-Way Component System

But now that I'm saving a bit on the rear, I'm considering 'stepping up' (if it is indeed a step up I'm not sure) to the: CS 210 PROFI - Rainbow Profi 4"

My thought process is the Rainbow Profi's require a bit less in power which may end up sounding better with the 600/6

Still hoping to hear from Technic soon, but I figure its the weekend so hes likely out having a life lol (how dare him)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Thanks taibanl. TBH I have spaces sitting at my place. With those installed, I had to cut the carpet of the car (as woofer would sit higher) and I did not want to do that. Hence I skipped those.

Sorry being noob, but I did not get which I underlined. Can you kindly explain that?
The one spot around the speaker that is notched away....that part normally has a tab covering it, as with JTsherri spacers, to prevent air leakage around the side of the woofer.

With many speakers you do have to cut the carpet (SSMB8) but only under the seat rail. However, with proper spacers and carpet grille spacer, you should not have to do it for SWS
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
The one spot around the speaker that is notched away....that part normally has a tab covering it, as with JTsherri spacers, to prevent air leakage around the side of the woofer.

With many speakers you do have to cut the carpet (SSMB8) but only under the seat rail. However, with proper spacers and carpet grille spacer, you should not have to do it for SWS
I see what you are saying. I will double check and use the spacers.
B.w I used poly carbonate sheet and used glue gun to stick those. I have also tested it and that sheet did not move.

I guess spacers are the way to go.

Taibanl, if you search on SWS-8 rattling, then you will come across that SWS-8 ---> produces rattling of side skits.
OEM sub enclosures open into side skirts and SWS-8 move plenty of air which goes to side skirt areas and create rattles.

Another strange things is that on two different cars (both had SWS-8), rattling is more on passenger side (Driver side in USA) and I could not find the reason for it.

Thanks for your suggestions.
      11-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #27
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Copy I guess it is unique to SWS. 808Mguy did say that he didn't *think he had it at first but later discovered it at higher volumes. So that should be minimal under most conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #28
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

lol its cool, jack my thread. I think i got most of my questions all answered.

Now I just need to hear back from technic on the harnesses
Jtsherry on the sub spacers,

And someone needs to help me find spacers for the 4" speakers in the door please.... I know, taibanl you said that Technic should be able to help with that so I will wait but with 808Guy not doing em' anymore, I'm hoping there maybe other options out there just incase Technic can't source a set. (I dont have the tools/knowledge to fabricate my own)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #29
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
And someone needs to help me find spacers for the 4" speakers in the door please.... I know, taibanl you said that Technic should be able to help with that so I will wait but with 808Guy not doing em' anymore, I'm hoping there maybe other options out there just incase Technic can't source a set. (I dont have the tools/knowledge to fabricate my own)
Neither did i! I spent a while looking for speaker adaptors myself, couldn't find them anywhere. So i just made my own. If you have a jigsaw then its pretty easy. I used plywood and varnished them. I think i have the exact dimensions somewhere, let me know if this would interest you.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

absolutely would please do send em' I'll pm you my e-mail.

I could probably enlist the help of a few friends with a lot more tools laying around if need be.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok its on my laptop so will have to send it to you tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #32
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

No rush... thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #33
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Copy I guess it is unique to SWS. 808Mguy did say that he didn't *think he had it at first but later discovered it at higher volumes. So that should be minimal under most conditions.
Starbi
Last comment though...
Taibanl, it only appears on max volume but as you said, under most conditions, it is deep clean bass.

Starbi, I have seen Technics made few spacers for 4 inch mids recently so I hope he has a pair for you.
Good luck with sourcing your stuff and build.

Last edited by makkan00; 11-25-2012 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #34
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Thanks again, Makkan00, Taibanl, and mob17... will report how it goes....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 10:48 AM   #35
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I replied to your PM...

My suggestion is to hold on to your OEM woofers, get the Morel, the XD600/6 and a set of DLS 224 for the rear. Try that first and then decide on the SWS-8Xi.

I can supply the front and rear mid mounting adapters (plastic) as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #36
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

If you like the sound and impact of kick drums, and punchy, clean bass, buying the SWS-8 will be a big mistake!
      11-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #37
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I replied to your PM...

My suggestion is to hold on to your OEM woofers, get the Morel, the XD600/6 and a set of DLS 224 for the rear. Try that first and then decide on the SWS-8Xi.

I can supply the front and rear mid mounting adapters (plastic) as well.
Thanks for the reply... I also replied to you with my paypal address... ready to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
If you like the sound and impact of kick drums, and punchy, clean bass, buying the SWS-8 will be a big mistake!
I hear ya... typically i prefer lower end bass though... so I'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work out I'll throw em' up for sale when I'm ready for a bigger expansion some day...

If I do the Jenherts for example, get all that mid bass and no low end I know I'll be disappointed in the sound. The solution is a trunk sub from what I've been reading but that then puts me over budget, adding a box, another sub, and another amp.

Like i said, I'm no audiophile, but I know what I typically like to hear.

I do appreciate the opinion/advice/input though and will keep it in mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #38
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

You won't be disappointed with the GladenAudioSystem woofer then. They sound better to me than the Earthquakes and offer a lot more "deep bass" than the Jehnerts.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I was never impressed by the sub bass response of the SWS-8s either. They do have enough xmax to be able to have decent output, but I believe the air space of the OEM enclosures may be choking them a little bit. It's an upgrade I wish I had never done.
      11-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
You won't be disappointed with the GladenAudioSystem woofer then. They sound better to me than the Earthquakes and offer a lot more "deep bass" than the Jehnerts.
I'm kinda torn then because the Gladens seem to have not very good reviews for low end boom... they seem to be a mid range speaker like the Jehnerts...

(this is based on only a few reviews that I've found via google)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #41
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I was never impressed by the sub bass response of the SWS-8s either. They do have enough xmax to be able to have decent output, but I believe the air space of the OEM enclosures may be choking them a little bit. It's an upgrade I wish I had never done.
I second that.
No matter what you put in OEM enclosures, you will not get a bass like a sub in the boot.

However SWS-8 does the decent job compared to others.

I have seen few people using sound deadening in the OEM enclosure, around those enclosures and in the side skirt but how much it makes a difference is still a question mark.

I will not try to defend SWS-8 but if you do not want to add a sub trunk, they are way better compared to many other 8 inch drivers.

However if you are adding the sub in the trunk, then any other mid bass driver should be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post

I would like to know that what amps were firing both drivers and what were xover settings. These two factors make a huge factor on the sound.

Quote:
I'm kinda torn then because the Gladens seem to have not very good reviews for low end boom... they seem to be a mid range speaker like the Jehnerts...

Starbai
If you are tight on budget, then there is no kit better than this.
      11-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #42
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

From what I listened to they play A LOT lower than Jehnerts (the woofer from that 3 way kit) Its not a mid bass woofer like the Jehnert. You could easily fool certain people that there is a sub in the car. Its a good option if you don't want a sub.

Price wise, here in the UK, brand new the Earthquakes actually cost more. Im afraid im not sure about pricing in the US.

Like i said they just sounded better than the Earthquakes I have heard, just more deep.

Whoever wants to know exactly what amps and crossover settings that were used can PM me and I will point you in the direction of who's car it was. Then you can ask him.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #43
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

I would like to know who's it was so that I can get his/her thoughts on them please.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #44
starbai
PPRSWCE
Guyana
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Starbai
If you are tight on budget, then there is no kit better than this.
The Gladens or the SWS-8xi?
Appreciate 0