E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tail light trouble

07-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
CR7
No keys, Push to start.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Unhappy Tail light trouble

Firstly, i am sorry if such a thread already exists, i've searched everywhere and found no solution.

What happened

Firstly, my reverse light stopped working. (the white lights that light up when putting in R) After that, the three "LED" -ish lines on the trunk lid died on the right side, shortly after, the left went with it. It left me a little bit of pissed off
since i've changed the front headlight bulb just a week before and i thought that the bulb change would be annoying as chaninging headlight bulbs.

What i've done
I removed the trunklid inner panel and changed the bulbs, only one (on the right side reverse light bulb) looked burnt, i mean like when you change bulbs at home and you see black-ish smoke inside of the glass. I changed the reverse light bulbs and the "LED"ish 3 lines position light bulbs. All bulbs we're correct amps and watts.

Results
Well, i can't figure out whats wrong but they don't seem to work. the left hand side of the LED lights works again, and the right hand sight did work. But 3 weeks ago they went out and stopped working since, Sometimes they light up when i open and close the trunk. Same with reverse lights, the right one used to light up when i put it in R, but only for like 4 seconds.

What it looks like..(The car is in reverse with the handbrake on)
I've checked the cables on the right side of the trunk and replaced the fuses. Still no cigar..

I went to a dealer that i know and he said something about not beeing "grounded" or something like that, im not an electrican. unfortunately..

So anybody have any ideas and thoughts?

Last edited by CR7; 07-18-2012 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: picture wont show up
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Replace all the bulbs and your issue will be fixed. One of your bulbs isn't working right. The car's ECU picks up that one bulb isn't working and will switch to another bulb for safety reasons. For example, if your parking light (Your so-called LED strip ) is out, the car's computer will make one of the brake lights turn on dimly to compensate.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
vince217
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 r56 non-s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Replace all the bulbs and your issue will be fixed. One of your bulbs isn't working right. The car's ECU picks up that one bulb isn't working and will switch to another bulb for safety reasons. For example, if your parking light (Your so-called LED strip ) is out, the car's computer will make one of the brake lights turn on dimly to compensate.
when this happens, does the bulb out warning go out, or will it continue to remind you that a bulb is out?

i get a bulb out warning occasionally when i start my car, then after awhile the warning just goes away.

i havent changed any of the bulbs in my car, as far as i know, they are all stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince217 View Post
when this happens, does the bulb out warning go out, or will it continue to remind you that a bulb is out?

i get a bulb out warning occasionally when i start my car, then after awhile the warning just goes away.

i havent changed any of the bulbs in my car, as far as i know, they are all stock.
As far as I know the bulb out warnings will only show at startup, if the ECU detects a bulb voltage issue. One of your bulbs may have blown, so I would look at your's to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

When you get the bulb error press and hold the stalk until you see a CC-ID#. Look that up and it'll give you more specifics. If you change the bulbs and it's still giving you an error then it's faulty wiring (essentially what the dealer told you)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
CR7
No keys, Push to start.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Thanks you guys. By pressing the stalk you mean the BC button? I don't have iDrive so thats pretty much the only way to control the on board computer. I'll try to change all the bulbs on monday when i get back .
Appreciate 0