E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Automatic Transmission always starts in 1st gear / D mode / Gentle acceleration

01-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Automatic Transmission always starts in 1st gear / D mode / Gentle acceleration

I've seen a couple of threads related to this but no definitive answers. Seems like every other person either swears their car starts in 1st gear or swears it starts in 2nd. At least on my car (2009 335i xdrive), my AT always starts in 1st gear, even in D mode, even when gently accelerating - every time! I've displayed the "gear" channel on the live data on my Cobb accessport just to be sure I'm not nuts and not imagining something that isn't really happen. Yes I am running a tune but I highly doubt the tune influences what gear I start in especially when I'm talking about at low loads and low RPMs.

I find the lag and noticeable pause in acceleration during the 1 - 2 shift to be extremely annoying. Sometimes just to avoid that 1-2 shift, I put it in M mode so I can force it to take off in 2nd gear. I love M mode when i want to go fast, and I love 1st gear when I want to rip off the line with my AWD grip, but when I just want to let the car do the shifting on its own, or am in traffic, I find this behavior extremely annoying. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of auto transmission cars out there start off in 2nd gear for a nice smooth acceleration unless you mash the gas from a standstill and truly need the maximum acceleration afforded by 1st gear.

I've tried Alpina and didn't like D mode on Alpina so please don't suggest that as a "fix". In fact I even tried resetting transmission adaptations in INPA which didn't influence what gear it starts in. I'm even currently running what supposedly is the 2011 OEM transmission software update with a Zb number of 7603527 which also doesn't influence what gear it starts in.

Can anyone chime in on this or shed some light on why these cars (or at least my car) like to start in 1st gear and if there are anyways to make it default to starting out in 2nd gear like a "normal" car? Thanks.
      01-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
tc535i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2001 330i, 1995 M3

I don't think I've seen mine start in 2nd, unless I shifted it manually to avoid spinning out on a launch

When was the last time you had your transmission serviced? Mileage?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc535i View Post
I don't think I've seen mine start in 2nd, unless I shifted it manually to avoid spinning out on a launch

When was the last time you had your transmission serviced? Mileage?
I only have 39K miles. I just bought the car used about 2 months ago. I've never serviced the transmission and per BMW service records, neither did the previous owner, which sounds right based on the lower mileage. The previous owners were a Dr. and a nurse, so although anythings possible, I don't think it was driven hard. It doesn't have the sport package either. Amazing what you can find when people leave their phones bluetooth paired to the idrive and leave the BMW welcome letters in the trunk before trading their car in!
      01-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
DriftDreamzSS
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

My car does the same, its annoying for sure. The adaptation resets smoothed out the 1-2 shift to make it better but it still starts in 1st.
      01-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
mfish123
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDreamzSS View Post
My car does the same, its annoying for sure. The adaptation resets smoothed out the 1-2 shift to make it better but it still starts in 1st.
I think resetting adaptations helped make it a little smoother for me too, especially once the engine and transmission are warmed up. But I think a 1 - 2 shift can only be so smooth due to the big difference in gear ratios and the fact that we're only moving around 10 mph or so when that shift occurs. Unfortunately we can't defy the laws of physics as much as I'd like to sometimes! LOL Its just so weird for a modern AT car to do this. I'm almost curious if this ZF transmission when used in other cars, from other manufacturers, does the same thing or not.

Last edited by mfish123; 01-21-2014 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

I've owned 2 335i 6AT cars, and I drive a lot of other people's. I've never experienced any of them to start in 2nd gear in "D" from a dead stop -- other than in heavy stop & go traffic where the transmission enters a special mode. It's a really noticeable difference in how the car behaves, so it isn't something that would go unnoticed if you're somewhat aware of what your car is doing.

I'll take a 1-2 shift at 5-10 mph vs. the funky torque converter slip feel when starting in 2nd during normal driving.
      01-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

I can't remember, i'll check when I get home but if when you're stopped at the light and you hit the paddle shifter it will accept the 2nd gear input. I can't recall if it will go into M2 and hold that till you start driving and then turn back into D mode. Or if it will go back to D1 before you take off from the light.

Either way, I don't think there is anyway to change the core logic of having the car start in 2nd without the assistance of the manual shifter.

Obviously you can just move the shifter to sport mode and move hte car into 2nd gear and it will let you start in M2 with no issues but I know you're looking for a way without manipulating shifters and such.
Appreciate 0