E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help :Power Steering is stiff after dealer maintenace

09-02-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
M109Rider
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Help :Power Steering is stiff after dealer maintenace

Hello,
I could use some help with this problem.
I had my 2008 328xi in for maintenance. It has 275,00 km's or 170,000 miles. It's an automatic.
I had the Valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, transmission selector valve replaced (my reverse stopped working), tie rod replaced, track rod replaced, a four wheel alignment completed, and of course my oil pan gasket replaced.

When I brought the car in, there were no steering issues. Smooth, easy etc.
When I picked it up, it was very stiff. It wouldn't even self straighten after turning. There is also a squeak coming from the column.

I phoned the dealer right away, and they said they didn't touch the steering shaft, or the steering shaft universal joint(s).
The power steering fluid level is good.

They said it likely corroded or seized because it sat for a few days on the lot.
They have since (after several calls) agreed to look at it, and will consider helping with the repair only after another inspection to see if it is corroded, worn, or seized.

First Question: How is it possible to go from having no symptoms, to very stiff in two days. Can a universal joint seize or corrode in two days ?

Second Question: I've read on this forum that some have removed the steering universal joint, while doing an oil pan seal replacement. Others have not.
Can the oil pan gasket be replaced without touching, or putting any strain on the steering shaft or joint?

One more piece of information: The steering was worse, and squeaked worse initially. The mechanic said he did something that helped...

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Sounds like they did not put the car back together correctly or bent/damaged the steering shaft. They did front suspension work and dropped the subframe, which does move the steering shaft orientation temporarily. Tell them to fix it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
M109Rider
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Sounds like they did not put the car back together correctly or bent/damaged the steering shaft. They did front suspension work and dropped the subframe, which does move the steering shaft orientation temporarily. Tell them to fix it.
Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds like you're confirming they at least had to move the steering column and universal steering joint.
I will be asking them to fix it, I just want to be as knowledgable as possible about what was done. They will likely continue to deny they affected the steering.
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #4
Gohan335i7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [10.00]
Bastards!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Another possibility besides the steering column is that they damaged something when installing the tie rods. Did they replace the inners or outers, or both? I don't see any way that they could have installed them incorrectly, but it's possible that they damaged the rack while installing them..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
M109Rider
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
Another possibility besides the steering column is that they damaged something when installing the tie rods. Did they replace the inners or outers, or both? I don't see any way that they could have installed them incorrectly, but it's possible that they damaged the rack while installing them..
Ya, My thought is that they damaged something.
Because I'm not a mechanic, and I don't know what could be damaged during this install, I feel helpless.
Very frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:14 AM   #7
M109Rider
Canada
Rep

Well,
They paid the labor and I paid for the parts.
Not the best solution, but I'll take it.
The universal had a lot of miles on it, and they obviously did something to it, so that's the compromise and outcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rider View Post
Well,
They paid the labor and I paid for the parts.
Not the best solution, but I'll take it.
The universal had a lot of miles on it, and they obviously did something to it, so that's the compromise and outcome.
My car had 300K on it when I dropped the subframe to do the pan gasket. I had no post work steering issues. Well at least you paid the smaller end of the deal.
Appreciate 0