E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > MULF to MULF2-HI replacement

12-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR

MULF to MULF2-HI replacement

Hi all, please allow me to go straight to the point why I started this thread.

Today I spent almost a whole day trying to figure out why my Bluetooth after replacing a faulty MULF with a MULF2-HI doesn't work off the bat. The target of this thread is to let future people doing the same have another point of reference in research since I pretty much read all MULF replacement threads and could not solve the problem I faced.

My car, a Pre 03/2007 E93 335i was optioned with $644 (Bluetooth) from the factory so it has the MULF made by Visteon:

Unfortunately I guess Visteon didn't do a good job and the MULF died after 8 years. Symptoms of a dying MULF are music playback having a one second pause (MOST interruption?), Bluetooth not working intermittently (2 dashes above TEL in menu).

So after researching, I bought a second hand MULF2-HI from ebay:

The MULF2-HI, made by Harman (Becker), would probably have better reliability since even the currently latest NBT systems are also made by them so they must be doing something right.

So after modifying the connectors and doing the hardware swap, I was expecting to see Bluetooth work immediately but to my dismay, no, still 2 dashes. Pulled out ISTA/D, and it says telephone control unit not responding.

Pulled out NCS, checked 2RAD coding, no problem, everything is ok... tried to read MULF coding, error. Maybe it is true that it only takes coding through the MOST port. Moving on.

Disappointed, I did more reading and tried a few things with Tool32 like trying to run BT_AUS, STEUERGERAETE_RESET, trying to write VIN.
Nothing is working, either I get ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQUEN CE_ERROR or ERROR_ECU_SERVICE_NOT_SUPPORTED_IN_ACTIVE_DIAGNOST IC_MODE.
Ok, no go. So, moving on.

I then ran WinKFP to "update ZUSB" on the MULF2-HI. Both ZUSB numbers are the same (update and current) so I thought the flash would be 10 seconds tops while giving me my VIN AIF write. Big mistake. It was taking 40 seconds for 1% and with my laptop having left with 20% battery, I'm really starting to panic.

Thankfully it made it through after around an hour that seemed like an eternity. Ran ISTA again, MOST reset. Still no Bluetooth.

By now I'm starting to give up and was consoling myself to use the MULF2-HI to retrofit $6FL (USB) instead. I had no intention from the beginning to retrofit USB since I would rather not bother with rerouting my AUX line to the MULF2. But now it's the only benefit that the MULF2-HI purchase can be salvaged from. Even though I don't have a USB FAKRA cable and USB port, I thought maybe I could code the USB options first. So I ran NCS again, added $6FL to the VO. Went in to see the modules list and... what.... MULF changed to 2MULF.

Tried to read 2MULF and it worked. Screened through the options in 2MULF trace file and saw the magic option "BT_EIN_AUS Nicht_Aktiv". Immediately I changed it to "AKTIV" and did an SG_CODIEREN. No errors. Changed to 2RAD, SG_Reset.

... BLUETOOTH IS BACK!!! But voice command doesn't work. Went back to the trace file and saw SVS_EIN_AUS_3. I remember SVS has something to do with voice command, so aktiv it and sg_reset 2rad again. And voice command is back!

Lesson learned - $6FL also refers to MULF2-HI.... so if you have a MULF2-HI, put $6FL into your VO!

So why am I so unlucky where other people that also bought MULF2s off ebay can just do a switch, plug and play and they get their BT back? It is because my donor vehicle was not optioned with bluetooth.... only $6FL and that's the reason why it had a MULF2-HI.

I hope this would help and save the time of the other people attempting the exact same thing.

PS: I even changed the fuses related to telephony to show how desperate I was.
      12-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Thanks for logging this

Thanks for logging this.
I wonder how much a BMW Mulf 2 to console cable is and if
the AUX from the Mulf is better than the Aux from the Radio?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181654
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep

Haha. AUX from anywhere is never better. But I guess since the MULF2 takes 4 AUX pins instead of 3, it could be considered "better".

It has got the L, R, GND and a shield (?) pin out
      12-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Depends on the preamp

Depends on the preamp and I am guessing it would
go through the dac in the Mulf 2 hi .
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #5
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

mulf2 went from 03/2007
to have all options coded automatically you need to correct zeitkriterium
      12-20-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep

Looks like zeitkriterium is very F series-ish (e-sys).

When I added $6FL the module changed to 2MULF even though my VO is still 02/07.

In any case, for future readers, this is also a path you can try to troubleshoot through - changing your car's production date on the VO.
      03-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
christian977
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

Thanks, very informative!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
Jozy
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Singapore
Rep

Just to update, I eventually got greedy and thought since I got an MULF2-HI, I might as well retrofit USB functionality since it's much flexible than burning CDs.

So instead of lifting trims, redoing the wiring from the center console etc., I decided to forgo AUX functionality. If you want AUX in the center console to still work, you would have to reroute the pins from the rear of the radio to the MULF2-HI.

I went ahead to just get a cheapo typical fakra usb cable and plugged into the MULF2-HI. The cable will be in the trunk and the USB thumb drive will be there as well.

Also, since my radio's software is from before USB was even available, I had to update it so I asked for help on this forum. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207697

Ok, cable plugged into the MULF2-HI, radio software updated, went to NCS to code radio, 'aktive'-ed 2RAD_USB. USB icon is now on the radio. Here I'm almost already celebrating but little did I know what's about to come.

Happily I went to plug in the pen drive expecting to now listen to my mp3s on it. Went back to the car, USB icon still "- -". Started doubting many conditions such as a dud cable or what not. Did things like shaving off the legs of the cable hoping to get a better connection. No go, still "USB - -"

Step 2 of troubleshooting, plugged in my INPA cable to the USB port. The cable's LED lights up. Confirmed the USB connection is ok. Scratching my head again.

Went back to look through more coding, both on the 2RAD and 2MULF. Nope, all looks good... what's wrong?

So after going back and forth, I finally decided to take a risk. I changed the date of production on the VO and default coded 2RAD. USB is now working! Of course since I didn't want to mess my car up, I did not FA WRITE the VO to my modules. I left it and called it a day....

Hope this helps since all information on the web is quite fragmented here and there.
      10-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #9
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozy View Post
Just to update, I eventually got greedy and thought since I got an MULF2-HI, I might as well retrofit USB functionality since it's much flexible than burning CDs.

So instead of lifting trims, redoing the wiring from the center console etc., I decided to forgo AUX functionality. If you want AUX in the center console to still work, you would have to reroute the pins from the rear of the radio to the MULF2-HI.

I went ahead to just get a cheapo typical fakra usb cable and plugged into the MULF2-HI. The cable will be in the trunk and the USB thumb drive will be there as well.

Also, since my radio's software is from before USB was even available, I had to update it so I asked for help on this forum. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207697

Ok, cable plugged into the MULF2-HI, radio software updated, went to NCS to code radio, 'aktive'-ed 2RAD_USB. USB icon is now on the radio. Here I'm almost already celebrating but little did I know what's about to come.

Happily I went to plug in the pen drive expecting to now listen to my mp3s on it. Went back to the car, USB icon still "- -". Started doubting many conditions such as a dud cable or what not. Did things like shaving off the legs of the cable hoping to get a better connection. No go, still "USB - -"

Step 2 of troubleshooting, plugged in my INPA cable to the USB port. The cable's LED lights up. Confirmed the USB connection is ok. Scratching my head again.

Went back to look through more coding, both on the 2RAD and 2MULF. Nope, all looks good... what's wrong?

So after going back and forth, I finally decided to take a risk. I changed the date of production on the VO and default coded 2RAD. USB is now working! Of course since I didn't want to mess my car up, I did not FA WRITE the VO to my modules. I left it and called it a day....

Hope this helps since all information on the web is quite fragmented here and there.
I just retrofitted mulf2 hi, following all of your steps, into a 2006 which was pre-wired. Waiting on USB cables but could you tell me how to change the VO date?

Also, when I press the speech button the radio display says Voice Input or something like this, then it freezes there and does nothing. I have to turn the car off to get it to go away and for the radio to start working again.

Any thoughts??

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #10
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Quote:

I just retrofitted mulf2 hi, following all of your steps, into a 2006 which was pre-wired. Waiting on USB cables but could you tell me how to change the VO date?

Also, when I press the speech button the radio display says Voice Input or something like this, then it freezes there and does nothing. I have to turn the car off to get it to go away and for the radio to start working again.

Any thoughts??

Thank you!
Next time just press power button on stereo for 30 seconds and it'll reboot.
      12-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
vakaasahmed
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2009 M Sport

Quote:

Hey! I was just going through this thread in hopes to find some help, im a new E90 owner (first time bmw owner also) I have bought a car with a retrofitted cic i drive retrofit, so: (CIC, TCU + MULF2-high)

The car previously had a bmw professional head unit. So the aux has been wired directly to the head unit or megablock connector.

All functions work except the aux in the centre console. I have been told that this needs to be wired from the back of the head unit to the Mulf2 as this will control the aux etc.

Would you be able to guide me on what wires need to be wired and to what locations?

Any help appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

I'm going to be doing this as well. This looks promising...

https://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=48104
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #13
rapidellis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Thanks Jozy

Quote:

Hi,

I recently bought an E92 BMW and retrofitted a MULF2 to replace the dead MULF. Thanks to your guide I have it installed and Bluetooth is working.

I am in the process of trying to get the USB drive to work. I have tried following the posts you linked to on updating the radio software using WinKFP but can't get my head around it, including where to get the appropriate radio software version from.

I have WinKFP but don't want to risk rushing the task and ruining my radio. Can anyone please advise what I need to do here?

Once again, thanks a lot for taking the time to post all that you did. It means 12 year old cars are still being retrofitted!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
rapidellis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

USB sorted

Realised on a journey today that my USB is working. Last week I added $6Fl, made USB 'aktiv' and changed the VO date (first number). One or all of these was all I needed for it to work.

I made the mistake of pressing menu rather than audio to display the USB drive.

Thanks to Jozy I have a retrofitted MULF. Noice
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #15
valtersa6
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidellis View Post
Realised on a journey today that my USB is working. Last week I added $6Fl, made USB 'aktiv' and changed the VO date (first number). One or all of these was all I needed for it to work.

I made the mistake of pressing menu rather than audio to display the USB drive.

Thanks to Jozy I have a retrofitted MULF. Noice

Hello Rapidellis and Jozy,

I´m retrofiting a Mulf2 High on an 05/07 e91 with Mulf2 installed and bluetooth, just to add USB. I´m now having the same problem that you had. I´ve added $6FL and changed the VO date with 2Rad reset after, but the only thing I see in audio menu is USB with two dashes (- -). I don´t have the cable conneted yet but I think it should already show the USB icon is that correct? Sometimes when I click it, it says "Load", and then "Empty".

Could you tell me to what date you modified your VO to?

Thanks in advance for guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 05:29 AM   #16
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

I believe it was more common to have USB audio as an option (using mulf2) and not have BT working *which was how my car came from the factory

note: USB can take proper full fat .WAV files, you don't need to restrict yourself to junk MP3 trash quality music

Also worth noting a USB drive can take 20 minutes to behave if you have lots on there, a secondhand iPod with exactly the same data and yes iPods can do .WAV (its an option in set up of iTunes) and the delay becomes 2 seconds
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #17
tavyx
Rep
Drives: e92 lots of issues :)

if anyone here can give me a hand I would be very grateful!
I have the MULF HI 2, bluetooth works but I can not get the USB to work. Did the programming and updated the 2rad software, but still no usb. any solution to this?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:21 AM   #18
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyx View Post
if anyone here can give me a hand I would be very grateful!
I have the MULF HI 2, bluetooth works but I can not get the USB to work. Did the programming and updated the 2rad software, but still no usb. any solution to this?
Attach rad and mulf trace files. From what I recall you had to change the production date on the earlier cars like my 330i 2006 which I got to work two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #19
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If usb is not and option in the Radio
and adding 6fl to the VO did not work
its possible you may have to update the radio
software.

Most change the date to get Mulf 2 hi to load .

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post19088745

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126467

http://www.**************/showthread...ighlight=mulf2

http://www.**************/showthread...ighlight=mulf2

Lookat or printout both the rad and the mulf file look for usb option make sure it is enabled. the two * are from b m w c o ding. c o m
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #20
tavyx
Rep

this is my trace file and I changed the VO so many times. right now 0309. maybe someone can take a look at my trace and tell me what i did wrong.
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt FSW_PSW.TRC.txt (234.6 KB, 1057 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #21
tavyx
Rep

Quote:
Attach rad and mulf trace files. From what I recall you had to change the production date on the earlier cars like my 330i 2006 which I got to work two years ago.
I have attached 2urad and 2mulf trace maybe I did something wrong.
I have the mulf2hi, i did all the MOST connections bluetooth works, voice control worked but now it doesn't, radio software 2018, but USB drives me nuts. I would be very grateful if someone would fire this thing out.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2MULF.TRC.txt (3.1 KB, 742 views)
File Type: txt 2URAD.TRC.txt (1.7 KB, 479 views)

Last edited by tavyx; 11-26-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #22
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyx View Post
Quote:
I have attached 2urad and 2mulf trace maybe I did something wrong.
I have the mulf2hi, i did all the MOST connections bluetooth works, voice control worked but now it doesn't, radio software 2018, but USB drives me nuts. I would be very grateful if someone would fire this thing out.
Where? I don't see them on the Bimmerpost app.
Appreciate 0