E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Unidentified wires in OEM quadlock/square connector

02-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
EffectOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 325d

Unidentified wires in OEM quadlock/square connector

Hi all,

I have three unidentified wires in my OEM square connector. None of them appear to have a corresponding wire on the harness which came with my aftermarket radio, and I wonder whether this may be the reason I have no FM reception.

The wire colours are:

- Grey/red
- Solid green
- Black and ribbed plastic housing

I have included pictures of the 3 wires (by my finger in the two photos), and the back of the OEM quadlock so that you can see where they are located.

Does anyone know what these wires are for? I can't seem to match them to any wiring diagram I can find, but I am not the best with electronics in all honesty.

Thanks,

David
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

solid green and ribbed plastic housing are MOST(fiber optic) bus connection
this is used to connect harman kardon amp, telephone module, sirius module, dab module, cd-changer,iboc module
so you'll lose these functions if you have them now
red-grey wire used to transmit pulse-width modulate brightness level for dashboard components (instrument cluster, climate control panel, headunit, light switch, gear selector indicator etc) if it is not transmittet over can-bus
      02-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
EffectOne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bugger. So none of them is the FM antenna wire?! Bloody hell. Guess I'm going to have to pull the trim off the C pillar and find out what colour cable I'm looking for then. All information I can find suggests it's a solid white cable, but there is no solid white cable there at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectOne View Post
Bugger. So none of them is the FM antenna wire?! Bloody hell. Guess I'm going to have to pull the trim off the C pillar and find out what colour cable I'm looking for then. All information I can find suggests it's a solid white cable, but there is no solid white cable there at all.
Antenna cable is a separate fakra plug on the radio. Not in the radio plug.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
EffectOne
Enlisted Member
Rep

The aftermarket headunit has a double fakra plug on it, but the OEM radio connector is only a single fakra plug. So I don't think the OEM has a separate power carrying cable? I have been looking for a power cable to connect to a 12v ignition live feed. But so far I haven't found anything.

Can you get a double fakra to single fakra adaptor which will carry power to the diversity FM amplifier?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The aftermarket headunit has a double fakra plug on it, but the OEM radio connector is only a single fakra plug. So I don't think the OEM has a separate power carrying cable? I have been looking for a power cable to connect to a 12v ignition live feed. But so far I haven't found anything.

Can you get a double fakra to single fakra adaptor which will carry power to the diversity FM amplifier?
Yes, you can split a fakra plug but the deck may just need to turn off one antenna. The fakra does not carry power though. For the power (constant) you will need to find an always hot plug at the fuse block or run a wire back to the battery.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #7
EffectOne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Yes, you can split a fakra plug but the deck may just need to turn off one antenna. The fakra does not carry power though. For the power (constant) you will need to find an always hot plug at the fuse block or run a wire back to the battery.
Thank you David. I have found a always hot fuse, but I don't know where to connect it to get the radio antenna working properly. Do you know?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you David. I have found a always hot fuse, but I don't know where to connect it to get the radio antenna working properly. Do you know?
The constant hot will be for the radio. From the radio there should be a switched power for antenna. Do not add a constant hot to the antenna or you will kill your battery.
Appreciate 0