E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help K&n Air Filter

02-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
MurderedOut
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW E90, '09 BMW E60 528i

Question Help K&n Air Filter

hey guys i need help on getting a K&N air filter. I have a canadian e90 323i and based on the posts the filter should be a rectangle with a slant on one side making it almost triangular. If this is right please tell me the part number. everytime i go on the website or lordco or this other auto parts they tell me its the cone until they look under the hood then when they try to cross reference it they can't find the part. Please tell me the part number or maybe where you got yours so that i can send the info for it to be cross referenced and what shape yours is cuz im sure mines not a cone.

Thanks in advance for your time
2008 E90 Wrapped Matte Black & Carbon Fiber Roof, 19" Staggered Miro 111(Satin Black), Black Housing Halo Projectors, Satin Black Grill, Blacked Out Emblems, MTX Thunder Sub with Alpine Amp, K&N Air Filter, BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

K&N let's more dirt in, while having less airflow, no reason to use it. Mahle Knecht is the way to go imho.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
monza2t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, R52 Mini, F25 X3 x35

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
K&N let's more dirt in, while having less airflow, no reason to use it. .
that is such an old myth.

I have been using them for 20+ years on all sorts of cars including BMWs. I have never had any of the bull crap 'issues' of soiled MAFs, blah blah blah. I use them not for performance, but for the fact that I can buy one filter and use it till I sell the car, usually at 250,000+

To actually answer the OP's question, Its 33-2332 if its the rectangular one and E2022 if its a round filter. Check your original to see which shape it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza2t View Post

I have been using them for 20+ years on all sorts of cars including BMWs. I have never had any of the bull crap 'issues' of soiled MAFs, blah blah blah. I use them not for performance, but for the fact that I can buy one filter and use it till I sell the car, usually at 250,000+

To actually answer the OP's question, Its 33-2332 if its the rectangular one and E2022 if its a round filter. Check your original to see which shape it is.
well more air does mean more dirt. and if you put too much oil your MAF is gonna die. can probably use them without any consequences but why risk if you driving a BMW. OEM only 20 bucks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

K&N filters do NOT allow more dirt in - please research the subject before miss leading fellow members.

From K&N Web Site
24. More airflow means you are letting more dirt through, right?

No. Filtration testing measures the percentage of dust retained before the filter reaches a terminal test pressure, often 10" of restriction above initial restriction. We use airflow as a simplified term to explain a more complicated physical process. The more precise description is restriction: K&N air filters create less restriction which helps an engine run better. An engine will only use the air it needs and our air filters do not result in an engine using more air than necessary. Rather, they result in the engine experiencing less restriction. The terms airflow and restriction are inversely related. Our air filters provide either less restriction at a fixed airflow rate; or more airflow as a fixed level of restriction. In neither case is more air being used than necessary.

Ref: http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#24

I have been using K&N for over 20 years and never had any problems. I even use them in my Hayabusa Motorcycle that sucks in a lot of air when its pulling 11k RPMS.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastoys-335i View Post
K&N filters do NOT allow more dirt in - please research the subject before miss leading fellow members.

From K&N Web Site

No. Filtration testing measures the percentage of dust retained before the filter reaches a terminal test pressure, often 10" of restriction above initial restriction. We use airflow as a simplified term to explain a more complicated physical process. The more precise description is restriction: K&N air filters create less restriction which helps an engine run better. An engine will only use the air it needs and our air filters do not result in an engine using more air than necessary. Rather, they result in the engine experiencing less restriction. The terms airflow and restriction are inversely related. Our air filters provide either less restriction at a fixed airflow rate; or more airflow as a fixed level of restriction. In neither case is more air being used than necessary.

I have been using K&N for over 20 years and never had any problems. I even use them in my Hayabusa Motorcycle that sucks in a lot of air when its pulling 11k RPMS.
Thanks. Great find.....and right on K&N website
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
MurderedOut
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW E90, '09 BMW E60 528i

Quote:

perfect this is exactly what i wanted thanks for your help and time
2008 E90 Wrapped Matte Black & Carbon Fiber Roof, 19" Staggered Miro 111(Satin Black), Black Housing Halo Projectors, Satin Black Grill, Blacked Out Emblems, MTX Thunder Sub with Alpine Amp, K&N Air Filter, BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Compared to the AC Delco filter, the K&N“plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt....
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #9
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Compared to the AC Delco filter, the K&N“plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt....

I read that too a while back, then come to find out the guy represents AC Delco so sounded bias in the end.

I have seen other non bias test that reflected K&N trapped more dirt than paper due to the oil particles on the cotton filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
monza2t
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think I can conjur up some some webpage, quote some SAE and ISO standards, and make some fancy graphs too. Until I have had these tests done in a recognized lab that does those tests, its all annecdotal evidence.

Also, your E90 has two filters. One is permanent that is downstream of the primary filter. If you have too much oil or whatever, that will catch it.

Still comes down to the fact that for $40 you have a filter that will last the rest of the life of the car. I have used them for 200k+ with no "dirty" problems on a crap load of cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Don't just look at K&N. Also look at BMC. I use them on everything from my race bike to my car. They are pretty awesome also. Take a look.

http://www.bmcairfilters.com/index.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza2t
Quote:
I think I can conjur up some some webpage, quote some SAE and ISO standards, and make some fancy graphs too. Until I have had these tests done in a recognized lab that does those tests, its all annecdotal evidence.

Also, your E90 has two filters. One is permanent that is downstream of the primary filter. If you have too much oil or whatever, that will catch it.

Still comes down to the fact that for $40 you have a filter that will last the rest of the life of the car. I have used them for 200k+ with no "dirty" problems on a crap load of cars.
I didn't conjour up anything, that is what I found on the Internet. If the link belongs to an ac delco rep then disregard. I can't believe there are no independent tests performed on these filters. If you love it that's fine, to each their own. Fyi, I deleted the permanent filter. There is a nice DIY on here if anyone is interested.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:

From K&N Web Site

K&N are dancing around the question. Regardless of whether the engine is "using more air than it should" or not, that isn't what's in question here. Calling it "less restriction" doesn't help either because air restriction and air flow are inversely related. To gain more airflow (less restriction) you either make the gaps in the fibers bigger or make more of the gaps (surface area stays the same on the filter so with more gaps each one gets smaller, etc. Bigger holes are what is happening here) and with bigger gaps bigger particles or small particles at a higher volume are let in.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
I didn't conjour up anything, that is what I found on the Internet. If the link belongs to an ac delco rep then disregard. I can't believe there are no independent tests performed on these filters. If you love it that's fine, to each their own. Fyi, I deleted the permanent filter. There is a nice DIY on here if anyone is interested.
Here is an independent test on filters from a very reliable source with pictures, data, the works. It finds K&N "oiled gauze type filters" to be inferior to oem paper ones in filtration.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely
Quote:
Here is an independent test on filters from a very reliable source with pictures, data, the works. It finds K&N "oiled gauze type filters" to be inferior to oem paper ones in filtration.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
Aren't all the filters horrible in that website? They appear to all suck!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

we all know there are no performance gains from it.....and this argument is 50/50 everywhere on the net....i just dont see the point of using K&N vs OEM German filter even if there is a slight possibility of it getting more dirt inside. You are not really saving time....if anything it will take much longer to clean and reoil filter then to just replace it with new. and then you are running that risk of oil dripping from filter....so whats the point ? to save a buck ?

same argument as motor oil.....i am sure all of you use nice synt. oil (i am)....why not dyno oil ? people run dyno oil for 150-200k miles without issues. (i used cheap dyno oil in Maxima for 160k miles...no issues)

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 02-09-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k
we all know there are no performance gains from it.....and this argument is 50/50 everywhere on the net....i just dont see the point of using K&N vs OEM German filter even if there is a slight possibility of it getting more dirt inside. You are not really saving time....if anything it will take much longer to clean and reoil filter then to just replace it with new. and then you are running that risk of oil dripping from filter....so whats the point ? to save a buck ?

same argument as motor oil.....i am sure all of you use nice synt. oil (i am)....why not dyno oil ? people run dyno oil for 150-200k miles without issues.
Dyno oil if you change every 3-5k, not recommended for longer change intervals......sludge.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I actually have the actual detailed report but I don't feel like finding it, it's on a hard drive somewhere. The machine that tested the filters is industrial and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was a guy who was curious if he should us AC Delco for his turbodiesel, or K&N.

A BMW is not just any old car, for whatever reason, BMW puts a Mahle Knecht in from the factory. It's simply amazing that someone thinks they can do BMW 1 better by jumping on amazon.com and getting a different filter for $40 that they can clean and reoil and use forever. It's like X-Files, "I want to believe." Well, it's your car, go ahead and drop that K&N bad boy right in there!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I read that too a while back, then come to find out the guy represents AC Delco so sounded bias in the end.

I have seen other non bias test that reflected K&N trapped more dirt than paper due to the oil particles on the cotton filter.
The above is a bunch of c***. You ought to get your facts straight. I have the actual report, the fu***** place that bench tested the filters has no affiliation with GM or AC Delco. The reason the AC Delco was the control was that the person they did the test for drove a Duramax diesel, which is a GM product.

The place with the bench equipment was Testand. The test was ISO 5011 compliant. The test machine cost $285,000. The test normally costs $3,000 to do. Now don't you think K&N would be willing to pay $3,000 for an ISO 5011 test that would show their products namely air filters to be superior?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
monza2t
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Dyno oil if you change every 3-5k, not recommended for longer change intervals......sludge.
<shift discussion to lame oil thread>

hell, anyone who uses less than neopentyl polyol ester MIL-L-23699E with a nominal viscosity of 5 centistokes at 100 Deg. C is just asking for trouble. All you people with your cheap synthetic motor oil and even cheaper dinosaur oil are lame

</shift discussion to lame oil thread>

Last edited by monza2t; 02-09-2012 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
<shift discussion to lame oil thread>

hell, anyone who uses less than neopentyl polyol ester MIL-L-23699E with a nominal viscosity of 5 centistokes at 100 Deg. C is just asking for trouble. All you people with your cheap synthetic motor oil are lame

</shift discussion to lame oil thread>
And someone has sand in their vagina/k&n filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
monza2t
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
And someone has sand in their vagina/k&n filter.
yeah, the sand got though to my vagina through the K&N, then I got yeast infection because of the dinosaur oil lube.
Appreciate 0