Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > False Flat Tire Monitor Warning

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Jackson
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

False Flat Tire Monitor Warning

Yesterday, as I was driving home, the Flat Tire Monitor warning light appeared, in RED, in the "large" warning area. There was no "small" warning light that accompanied it.

So, initially, I thought that one of my snow tires must have leak or was flat. However, the steering/car didn't feel any different. So I stopped at a gas station to check it out.

All tires appeared fine and I double checked it with a pressure gauge. I then got out the manual to see what to do. I thought that I would have to reset the system.

When looking at the manual, since my car is "Canadian", I believed it had the Flat Tire Monitor as opposed to the Tire Pressure Monitor (on US vehicles). However, when going into the computer, it showed "RESET" instead of "INITIALIZE". In the manual, RESET seems to be for TPM not FTM. (I also noted on the drivers door well where the tire pressure sticker is, there is a sticker with the "pressure warning" - cross-section of tire with an exclamation mark inside it - with "RESET" underneath it.)

Well, I tried to reset by pressing the button for much longer than 5 seconds as recommended but the "arrow" didn't disappear, until I let go of the button. The warning didn't disappear either. Since I knew the tires were okay, I drove home - with the warning light on the dash the whole way. I tried the same procedure a number of times at home- but to no avail. Didn't work this morning either.

Anyone else have this problem. I should mention that I took delivery of the car with 19" 230's which I changed myself a few weeks ago to new rims/snow tires. I didn't do anything to the system then and got no warnings. The new rims/snows don't have the TPM sensors installed - since I was under the believe that Canadian cars didn't need them.

I also looked at the 230's in my basement this morning and couldn't tell if the valve stems were any different than normal - i.e. had the TPM valve stems (anyone have a picture of the difference?)

Your input is appreciated since I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer.

Thanks!
      01-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
e30klassic
Banned
Rep
Drives: Sport T-Silver E90

Garage List
2006 328i  [0.00]
Have you check all your tires pressure then try to reset it.

Try it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

False Flat tire warning

Jackson,
I had the same experience a week ago with my snows. I believe the warning was triggered by falling temperatures and some minor loss of air in both rear tires (they were both @ 30psi instead of 35psi). However, the resetting issue I found frustrating. Pushing the #2 button for 5 seconds as suggested in the Owners Manual does not work. After a visit to my dealer, the service advisor referred to some internal correspondence on this issue and then showed me how to reset the system. You push in button #2 very briefly, then release the button and drive on.
      01-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Jackson
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks DerekS! I will give it a try tonight. I thought it might have something to do with the colder temperatures (finally) that we have had here in the past 2 days. If this doesn't work, I have an appointment on Saturday morning at the dealer.
      01-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I had to "Initialize" when I put my winter tires on as well. However, I believe the car has to be stopped (and maybe even the engine off) in order for the "initialize" option to be available instead of reset.

The caveat being that I've got the e90 330i with iDrive, so I don't know if it's an apples to apples comparison / problem. Good luck!
      01-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Jackson
Private
Canada
Rep

Well, I tried the method suggested by DerekS - but to no avail. I'll try again tomorrow morning but I think it means a trip to the dealer Saturday morning
      01-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
hue
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I had this same problem after switching to snow tires (I had them changed at the dealership). I had not driven the car for a couple of weeks when suddenly the FTM alarm went off yesterday. I just happened to be driving by the dealership. They checked the pressures and one rear tire was at 28 instead of 35 (cold weather related according to the service manager). They reset the FTM and told me to keep an eye on it just in case.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Reset for TPM system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson
Well, I tried the method suggested by DerekS - but to no avail. I'll try again tomorrow morning but I think it means a trip to the dealer Saturday morning
Jackson,
Did you wait until your computer indicated "reset" before you briefly tapped button #2 ?
      01-11-2007, 06:03 AM   #9
Jackson
Private
Canada
Rep

When stopped, but with the engine running, I used button #1 to scroll to the FTM warning screen which has ">RESET" displayed underneath the FTM icon - which is red. I pressed button #2 briefly which caused the ">" to disappear in front of "RESET". I then drove on. Nothing happened. Must be something that I'm missing. Help!
      01-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I'm guessing you've already read and followed the manual? Have you called your dealer yet? I'm sure they could help you.
      01-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
Jackson
Private
Canada
Rep

Went to the dealer this morning for the 2 minute fix. For anyone else who might encounter this problem, here goes (the procedure in the manual is WRONG)

1. Have vehicle running but stopped;

2. Access "computer" by using button #1 on turn indicator stalk (see manual to identify buttons)

3. Scroll to the TPM icon. It also has ">RESET" underneath (the ">" is an arrow or "sideways" triangle;

4. Press button #2 briefly to make the ">" disappear;

5. Then, press button #2 again and hold it until a box with a check mark in it appears after "RESET".

Drive off and you are good to go. (Please remember this is a "Canadian" car and the procedure may not be applicable to "U.S." cars since they have the Tire Pressure Monitor vs. the Tire Pressure Monitor.)

Now why the hell couldn't the service guy give me this over the phone!?! It would have saved me driving 70 km roundtrip in lousy winter weather this morning for an easy 2 minute fix. (I passed at 5 or 6 cars/minivans which had lost control and gone into the ditch or the guardrail.)

Also, the service guy noted admitted that the manual often contains incorrect information since it is translated from German. Duhhhhh!!! I just spent over $60,000.00 on a car which is susposed to be engineered to the Nth degree. Why the hell can't BMW hire 1 person who can speak/write German and English fluently, is technically minded enough to get in the car and "fiddle with it" and then write a proper manual for all of North America (and other English speaking markets as well). Just a thought.
      01-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Alan(iX)
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535

I have had the same problem with my FTM warning going off twice.

Both times were after a severe temperature drop.
One time the temp dropped from 60 deg F to 30 deg F.
It is my understanding that tire pressure drops 1 psi for every 10 deg F temp drop. It appears that the warning goes off in the 2 - 2.5 psi range.

It appears that the FTM captures only pressure without temperature.
I now carry a digital tire pressure gauge in the glove box.
2007 BMW E92 335i Coupe, 6MT, space grey, black leather, dark burl, CWP, ZPP, ZSP, Comfort Access, Nav, Power Rear Sun Shade, Park Distance Control, Sirius
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

I did the same reset Jackson and my car got a flat and i didn't know about it until i noticed something funny in the handling and then got out and spotted a steaming hot RF flat tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
BMC330i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
Went to the dealer this morning for the 2 minute fix. For anyone else who might encounter this problem, here goes (the procedure in the manual is WRONG)

2. Access "computer" by using button #1 on turn indicator stalk (see manual to identify buttons)

3. Scroll to the TPM icon. It also has ">RESET" underneath (the ">" is an arrow or "sideways" triangle;

5. Then, press button #2 again and hold it until a box with a check mark in it appears after "RESET".

Drive off and you are good to go. (Please remember this is a "Canadian" car and the procedure may not be applicable to "U.S." cars since they have the Tire Pressure Monitor vs. the Tire Pressure Monitor.)

Now why the hell couldn't the service guy give me this over the phone!?! It would have saved me driving 70 km roundtrip in lousy winter weather this morning for an easy 2 minute fix. (I passed at 5 or 6 cars/minivans which had lost control and gone into the ditch or the guardrail.)

Also, the service guy noted admitted that the manual often contains incorrect information since it is translated from German. Duhhhhh!!! I just spent over $60,000.00 on a car which is susposed to be engineered to the Nth degree. Why the hell can't BMW hire 1 person who can speak/write German and English fluently, is technically minded enough to get in the car and "fiddle with it" and then write a proper manual for all of North America (and other English speaking markets as well). Just a thought.
Thanks this did the trick for me, I didn't even think of pushing once to enter into FTM and then hlding for 5 sec to reset. I just kept holding for 5 seconds to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Thanks so much for posting this. The manual was driving me bat shit crazy. It simply said "TPM needs to be initialized <" and then didn't tell you how to do it. I kept hitting the #2 button by the reset and it wasn't doing a damn thing. Can you tell I'm frustrated? Then I tried your recommendation and bingo. How the hell are we supposed to know you then have to hold #2 in again for 5 seconds to initialize it if the manual doesn't specifically indicate so? I love German cars, but sometimes their ergonomics and logic is the most stupid F'n thing one can come across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0