E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Carrying bikes on an E92 - tips / recommendations?

06-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i coupe

Carrying bikes on an E92 - tips / recommendations?

Hi all

I think this is my first thread here

Just wondered if anyone had views or experience of carrying a bike on the E92. For me it would normally be one mountain bike, occasionally two.

Options so far:

1) In the boot: NO - too cumbersome, craps up the interior

2) Cheap rear hanging: NO - straps and fixings risk damaging paint etc

3) Pukka rear hanging using Tow-ball (e.g. Thule 921) - Looks cool. BUT - I'm guessing the tow bar alone is going to be expensive (and heavy - and MUST be hidden when not needed!), and that's before the £250 for the rack.

4) Roof bars and mounting kit. Cheaper than (3) - are there downsides? (stability, security etc?)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

sim
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I have an E92.

I bought and use Thule roof bars + 591 bike carriers .... rock solid and good quality. The bikes lock to them and the bars lock to the roof.

I have used them about 6 times and they are taking our bikes from Surrey to Norfolk in a month ... and I am more than happy to trust them.

I have used boot carriers before and ended up with a dent in the top of the hatch on my Golf as a result of not adjusting it correctly (Saris Bones rack). You can't really go wrong with the Thule bars so long as you don't drop the bike on the roof when putting it on or taking it off !!

I would certainly recommend the Thule bars and carriers.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

As above I had an E92 with Thule bars and bike carrier, make sure you order the same locks for both roof rack and cycle carrier.

Carried two MTBs and once cornered as hard as possible on a 180 degree bend, nothing moved and was reassured that Thule products are awesome.

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/?gclid=CK...FVJX4QodHgpptg
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
As above I had an E92 with Thule bars and bike carrier, make sure you order the same locks for both roof rack and cycle carrier.
http://www.roofracks.co.uk/?gclid=CK...FVJX4QodHgpptg
Yep, forgot to mention that - doesn't cost much extra but saves a load of mucking about
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post

Carried two MTBs and once cornered as hard as possible on a 180 degree bend, nothing moved and was reassured that Thule products are awesome.
I agree. Thule bars and bike carrier are the best bet. Available here also:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

Option to have all locks the same is invaluable.

This crash test is quite reassuring (and they are officially rated for 80mph)

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Yet another thule thumbs up from me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds like Thule bars and 591 rack is the answer! Good tip on the locks too, not sure I would have thought of that.

Thanks chaps!

sim
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A big gold navara

Anyone tried the altera two bike kit for about £200?? It looks super quality. I'm thinking of getting the altera giro AF, but with the thule roof bars and feet, saves about £55 over proride 591s.

I've bought a saris bones 3, but don't really like it (enough anyway.)

It's for the golf btw, so it's 757 and 761 feet and bars.
      06-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Thule are great. If I could afford it I would go for the towbar mounted options as I think this would be more convenient. It is easier for loading, and if yo want to shoot off biking on the spur of the moment it would be so much quicker to do so. However it is more expensive and there is the issue of how to hide the towbar away when not needed.

The other aspect is that roof mounted will damage economy. On my wife's car (VW Touran) 4 bikes on the roof reduces economy from 47mpg to < 35mpg.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #10
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcampbell View Post
Thule are great. If I could afford it I would go for the towbar mounted options as I think this would be more convenient. It is easier for loading, and if yo want to shoot off biking on the spur of the moment it would be so much quicker to do so. However it is more expensive and there is the issue of how to hide the towbar away when not needed.

The other aspect is that roof mounted will damage economy. On my wife's car (VW Touran) 4 bikes on the roof reduces economy from 47mpg to < 35mpg.
Nope, i'm talking atera roof mount verses thule roof mount.

Haven't gat a tow bar, although sometimes i wish i did.
      06-06-2011, 07:53 AM   #11
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcampbell View Post
Wow that's quite a hit! Still, you'd have to do quite a few miles to make up the difference in cost compared to installing a towbar and fancy rear rack (which would have a mileage hit of its own).

sim
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #12
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
Always carry mine inside the car. I use a bit of cardboard from an old bike box to keep the carpet clean. I only need to remove the front wheel and it fits easily. Keeps it out of sight of prying eyes, doesn't get covered in road salt and grime delivered by 50-70mph road blast on your way, and doesn't affect your economy. However, I can only fit one bike in my car and means the loss of use of my rear seats. Some of my mates use roof bars and also highly recommend Thule. I don't do much mountain biking these days so it is mainly my time trial bike that I use now, which I wouldn't dream of carrying externally anyway plus it doesn't get the inside of the car mucky.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
Hanky
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

For years I've used Thule roof mounted carriers to transport Road Bikes, light-weight XC Bikes, mtb's such as a Heckler and my downhill bike, BigHit - all without problem.

Only reservation was weight and height of the DH bike on the roof, so for this used a Thule 561 fork mounted rack and a Forkup adapter. This reduces height / drag on the bigger bikes, and a makes it easier with Maxles etc.

Also, if you have a less traditional FS frame, it's sometimes difficult to get the optimum position with the swingarm, so for burlier mtb's I prefer fork mounted carriers generally.

The issue I have is that my new car has a BMW hidden towbar which swings and locks into place.

This is a great option but I'm unsure as to which is the best rack for the E91 in terms of clearing the bodywork and connection to the BMW towbar?

Apologies for slight thread hijack but wondering which towbar racks people are using for bigger / all mountain mtb's?

Any thoughts much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep

Just thought i'd share my recent purchase. As stated i had a saris bones 3, which in all honesty i wasn't too happy with.
So i took the plunge and bought the £200 special from roofboxes. I got 2 atera giro carriers and roof bars and feet of my choice. I chose the thule bars, and paid the £20 upgrade for the aero bars. My thoughts were that the thule feet can be changed from car to car, and i also thought they may sell better when i'm done with them.
I have to say, as per the comment above the swing arm made me cack myself when i first tried to put my bionicon on it, because it was sat right where all the fancy gubbins are to do with the rear suss. A bit of adjustment though and i'm very happy.

So all in all i got two atera giro carriers, thule aero bars, thule feet, 4 atera locks (that make all the locks on the carriers the same) 4 thule locks (so all the locks on the bars are the same.) For £225 delivered. Bargain!

Here's a pic. Off to Llandegla in the morning!

06-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
sim303
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrado View Post
I have to say, as per the comment above the swing arm made me cack myself when i first tried to put my bionicon on it, because it was sat right where all the fancy gubbins are to do with the rear suss. A bit of adjustment though and i'm very happy.
This is the bit I'm worried about. My bike is (or will be, tomorrow ) a Whyte T120 and the rear suspension linkage takes up much of the bottom tube. I think it will depend on how far forward / vertical the swing arm can go.

sim
Appreciate 0