E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > BMW 323i Fuel Economy

09-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Mr Sir
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 323i

BMW 323i Fuel Economy

Hey all, Steve here. I was wondering how I could increase the fuel economy of my 323i. Its a fairly gutless car, but it gets 24 on the highway... this isnt really acceptable to me seeing as I used to drive a 400+hp camaro that got 36. Any suggestions that'll get me better power and better fuel economy would be great.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

it may have something to do with the limitations of older engine designs as well. your 2000 323i has the double vanos M54 (if i'm not mistaken). later model N52s add valvetronic and can get 33 on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328 xdrive

Do oil change every 10,000 km. Dont follow the bmw recommended range.
My friend's N54 was doing 380 km/tank (He used to follow the bmw recommended range, and would only do it when car "needs" it). I told him to do every 10000 km and after his oil change he gets 500km/tank. Don't know if it is related but he actually got better mileage after.
      09-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Mr Sir
Registered
Rep

These sound like good ideas, I'm kinda new to the BMW world so I don't know what standard mods will make it better. So if I drop in an N52 engine I'll get better fuel economy, but i was kinda wondering if i could make the factory motor better by getting a power chip, and putting in a better intake, high flow exhaust, and a better then factory cam.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
These sound like good ideas, I'm kinda new to the BMW world so I don't know what standard mods will make it better. So if I drop in an N52 engine I'll get better fuel economy, but i was kinda wondering if i could make the factory motor better by getting a power chip, and putting in a better intake, high flow exhaust, and a better then factory cam.
All of which would make you yearn for the days of your v8 Camaro and urge you to waste more gas--so let us be real, you ain't getting better gas mileage anytime soon.

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
416Black335iS
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Black Coupe

Something to consider is whether the oxygen sensor needs replacement depending on your odometer mileage. Might not necessarily trip the check engine light but could make mileage suffer. Not sure if emissions results will give an indication of this.
Also I agree with Johnnie Walker, when I had my 323ci the frequent oil changes seemed to help mileage quite a bit.

And if you have steptronic - take it easy in sports mode - might be fun but it burns gas like nothing else.

Be prepared some people might say you can't be preoccupied with mileage when you own a BMW. Maybe buy a few shares in an oil co, in the long run you'll come out ahead.
      09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Mr Sir
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post
All of which would make you yearn for the days of your v8 Camaro and urge you to waste more gas--so let us be real, you ain't getting better gas mileage anytime soon.
This is true but i do like to go on the odd road trip and when im on a road trip, im not usually mashing it to the floor too much.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
e9012345
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
I doubt you could just DROP IN an N52.. and if you were to.. there are no "power chips" for it and no aftermarket cams on market.

Regardless, this is quite a silly path to take.... sell your car and either buy a Honda Civic and get AWESOME gas mileage, buy a proper N52 that's bolted to an E90 chassis.. or don't complain.

To be very honest with you.. gas mileage threads are EXTREMELY frowned upon within BMW forums... Want to crib about gas? You're in the wrong car club.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
BennyJones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White M Sport F30

Quote:
Hey all, Steve here. I was wondering how I could increase the fuel economy of my 323i. Its a fairly gutless car, but it gets 24 on the highway... this isnt really acceptable to me seeing as I used to drive a 400+hp camaro that got 36. Any suggestions that'll get me better power and better fuel economy would be great.
This is probably one of the most confusing threads on the forum....its always going to be different...every time you put your foot down you change the average... Even in the 400+ HP Camaro...

The important point is you now drive a BMW..

Nuff said....
      09-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #10
Mr Sir
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
I doubt you could just DROP IN an N52.. and if you were to.. there are no "power chips" for it and no aftermarket cams on market.

Regardless, this is quite a silly path to take.... sell your car and either buy a Honda Civic and get AWESOME gas mileage, buy a proper N52 that's bolted to an E90 chassis.. or don't complain.

To be very honest with you.. gas mileage threads are EXTREMELY frowned upon within BMW forums... Want to crib about gas? You're in the wrong car club.
getting aftermarket cams and stuff, for me, isnt an issue, my best friend is a machinist. my biggest gripe was that the motor is gutless and has no excuse to burn so much gas. as for "power chips" do some research, bully dog makes them.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Quote:
getting aftermarket cams and stuff, for me, isnt an issue, my best friend is a machinist. my biggest gripe was that the motor is gutless and has no excuse to burn so much gas. as for "power chips" do some research, bully dog makes them.
Did you test drive this beast before you bought it?
Appreciate 0