E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 330d rear heated screen not working...

11-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #1
ctunnicliffe01
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d

330d rear heated screen not working...

Having a issue with the rear heated screen on my 08 330d. Its not working!! lol
Anyhow onto the technical bit..... Button lights up when pressed but no heat to the rear element. Element itself looks intact . Checked both fuses in the glove box and both are fine. I have no issues with heated seats /aircon /heated mirrors or display ect ect. Everything else working fine.
Not had any battery issues of any kind. (none i know of)

Any thoughts on the issue peeps? just one of those irritating faults!!

Cheers in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctunnicliffe01 View Post
Having a issue with the rear heated screen on my 08 330d. Its not working!! lol
Anyhow onto the technical bit..... Button lights up when pressed but no heat to the rear element. Element itself looks intact . Checked both fuses in the glove box and both are fine. I have no issues with heated seats /aircon /heated mirrors or display ect ect. Everything else working fine.
Not had any battery issues of any kind. (none i know of)

Any thoughts on the issue peeps? just one of those irritating faults!!

Cheers in advance
is it an Tourer. Coupe, Saloon or Cab?

If it's an tourer check other items such as tailgate glass etc. but if it's a Estate bet on a broken wire in the tailgate loom that's causing the problem.

We see shed loads not so much on 3 but 5's are well known for it, but sounds like you've done all the basics...... Hope this helps. To check wiring involves some trim panel removal(tailgate and inner rear section)to expose wires but once exposed it'll be pretty clear if you're talking wiring.
      11-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
ctunnicliffe01
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
is it an Tourer. Coupe, Saloon or Cab?

If it's an tourer check other items such as tailgate glass etc. but if it's a Estate bet on a broken wire in the tailgate loom that's causing the problem.

We see shed loads not so much on 3 but 5's are well known for it, but sounds like you've done all the basics...... Hope this helps. To check wiring involves some trim panel removal(tailgate and inner rear section)to expose wires but once exposed it'll be pretty clear if you're talking wiring.
thanks for the reply. its the 330d saloon mate.
i may have to remove a few panels and have look tomorrow. hopefully just something stupid with any luck. bloody pain mind!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctunnicliffe01 View Post
thanks for the reply. its the 330d saloon mate.
i may have to remove a few panels and have look tomorrow. hopefully just something stupid with any luck. bloody pain mind!!
If thats the case then as you say you've checked fuses etc. On a saloon its rare to be fair you get a wiring type issue, but the odd rear boot light issue means when the wires around the boot hinge are inspected they are broken, but a rear heater element of course wouldn't be effectd in the same way. So this one won't be quite as straight forward.

Logic says there's an issue wiring wise logic says its worth investigating, however before you do consider another option.

The cars battery if exhausted(you may not know its exhausted)will cut or shall I say shut down certain non critical power related functions to conserve power. If thats the case the IBS system will at will shut down non critical items such as the heated rear window, you may also if this si the case notice on unlocking say DRL's(if fitted not working when you unlock)it it does go too far clock or radio station data may be lost/reset. On a saloon at the present its all I can think off at the moment if I think of anything more I'll re post
      11-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
kulfon
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

It is beacuse of the battery. I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Basically, due to some short distance trips the battery was not charged as it supposed to be,and therefore the car switched the rear defroster of in order to save energy (as mentioned above). Longer trips resolved the problem, a new battery was not needed.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2014, 03:19 AM   #6
ctunnicliffe01
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If thats the case then as you say you've checked fuses etc. On a saloon its rare to be fair you get a wiring type issue, but the odd rear boot light issue means when the wires around the boot hinge are inspected they are broken, but a rear heater element of course wouldn't be effectd in the same way. So this one won't be quite as straight forward.

Logic says there's an issue wiring wise logic says its worth investigating, however before you do consider another option.

The cars battery if exhausted(you may not know its exhausted)will cut or shall I say shut down certain non critical power related functions to conserve power. If thats the case the IBS system will at will shut down non critical items such as the heated rear window, you may also if this si the case notice on unlocking say DRL's(if fitted not working when you unlock)it it does go too far clock or radio station data may be lost/reset. On a saloon at the present its all I can think off at the moment if I think of anything more I'll re post

i was thinking the ibs lead was going to be the culprit tbh. pain the in backside. But i will take the car for a good drive to see if it helps. otherwise i may hook up the battery charger for a while and see if i get any results that way.

next question. hooking up the charger with battery connected. many horror stories but have done it in the past with no issues. or am i best to avoid especially with all the electronics in these things.

cheers again for all your feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I knew I forgot something when I mentioned battery, yes the IBS cable can play up the IBS unit has been updated(super ceded)a few tines and thus is vital for power distribution but we don't see that many really on 3's but battery's are common.

First port if call is open the boot remove rear covers on the offside expose the battery and have a look, if it's the original BM battery ask yourself how long it's been there(they'll be some detail on the battery plaque re dates from memory)but if it's a gen battery look at the eyelet if it's black TBH it's fake over if you feel/know it's been in place for 4-5 years if change it.

Please also remember changing a battery on these is only part of the process even if it's the same battery must be aligned and registered via diagnostic to the car to have a chance of operating correctly then again with diagnostic in tow you can clear any faults
      11-23-2014, 04:00 AM   #8
ctunnicliffe01
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I knew I forgot something when I mentioned battery, yes the IBS cable can play up the IBS unit has been updated(super ceded)a few tines and thus is vital for power distribution but we don't see that many really on 3's but battery's are common.

First port if call is open the boot remove rear covers on the offside expose the battery and have a look, if it's the original BM battery ask yourself how long it's been there(they'll be some detail on the battery plaque re dates from memory)but if it's a gen battery look at the eyelet if it's black TBH it's fake over if you feel/know it's been in place for 4-5 years if change it.

Please also remember changing a battery on these is only part of the process even if it's the same battery must be aligned and registered via diagnostic to the car to have a chance of operating correctly then again with diagnostic in tow you can clear any faults
Thanks again Steve.
just looking for a new data cable for the e90. Am i right in saying must support D-CAN. Im presuming with data lead and right software i should be fine to swap batterys if needed. All good fun !!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #9
Badbwoy
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Wink Heated rear screen not working

I've seen on forum before if not below a certain temp does not come on & if you want it on say it's misty you have to push the button on wiper stalk till green light comes on but at a reduced power say 80% but when temp is below 3deg comes on full power ..I think ..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
ctunnicliffe01
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks for the reply. the screen is not heating. even in frost no evidence of rear element working. fuses seem fine. So thinking along line of battery or ibs sensor tbh.
Appreciate 0