E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Alpina Trans Flash for N54

03-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #441
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
Yup. Official procedure below so that there is zero confusion about this.

1) Turn cars electronics on-push start button once or twice without turning the actual engine on.

2) Hold the gas pedal to the floor for 25-30 seconds.

3) Most times you will hear the gearbox resetting itself and hear some "noise" coming from your car but not always noticeable so don't worry if you don't.

4) Now start your car and enjoy the gearbox reset to its factory settings and open for all new learning. The shifts are silky smooth again and shift points shift faster-basically it totally makes your transmission perform better.
I did my flash around 2k miles ago and never reset anything. I think I am going to do the reset now. Thanks for posting the procedures.
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #442
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Just did my flash last week. Subbed for knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #443
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 AW 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
This is not the TCU reset. This just resets short term driver behavior memory. You need OBD2 cable and INPA or similar to do full TCU reset, which is what you should do after Alpina flash. There is a period you need to drive with light throttle when you do this, like 50-100 miles with progressively more throttle. This reset internal hard parts adaptations for the harder shifts Alpina will execute.
I spoke with my coder and he confirmed that the INPA reset is not necessary- the EGS module has to be reset in NCS Expert after the flash and that takes care of the adaptations.

The trans will further learn your driving style from there.
      03-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #444
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_c View Post
I spoke with my coder and he confirmed that the INPA reset is not necessary- the EGS module has to be reset in NCS Expert after the flash and that takes care of the adaptations.

EGS Module reset? Damnit, cable can't come soon enough.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #445
ksalih
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Procedure in INPA to reset TCU:

F9 E90

Transmission

Gearbox Control module GS19

F6 Activate

F3 Reset adaption values

This is NOT the same as gas pedal reset. This rest requires a break in period, 50-100 miles increasing load, TCU is adapting to current wear state of hard parts and fluid, given shift parameters from TCU.

Should be done on re-flashes and/or when hard parts or fluid etc. are replaced. Lot of people clear up major tranny misbehavior, even without Alpina flash, with just fluid/filter and this reset.
DOES resetting the TCU through INPA as explained here yield the same reset if done with the Bavtech software to reset the TCU. I would imagine so..?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #446
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:

Not correct. You do not need NCS expert to reset TCU adaptations, and it is not reset automatically just from flashing in NCS expert. Plenty of people have flashed and not reset it. You MAY be able to reset adaptations through NCS I have not done it and do not know. If your coder figured out how to do it with NCS that is great for you.

The point is pedal reset does nothing substantial, does not reset TCU, and many people aren't even aware another reset is needed after flashing or doing other service. And you can use INPA to do it.

Clear?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #447
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalih View Post
DOES resetting the TCU through INPA as explained here yield the same reset if done with the Bavtech software to reset the TCU. I would imagine so..?
Yes as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #448
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not correct. You do not need NCS expert to reset TCU adaptations, and it is not reset automatically just from flashing in NCS expert. Plenty of people have flashed and not reset it. You MAY be able to reset adaptations through NCS I have not done it and do not know. If your coder figured out how to do it with NCS that is great for you.

The point is pedal reset does nothing substantial, does not reset TCU, and many people aren't even aware another reset is needed after flashing or doing other service. And you can use INPA to do it.

Clear?
I believe OFT has the option under diagnostics to do the TCU reset. I haven't tried it for fear of bricking my trans but I'd be willing to give it a shot if someone can verify it does what it's supposed to for this.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP3 Tuned by MAC Autosport, Original Prototype Xi DOCRace 6266 Single Turbo Swap, VRSF CP w/Synapse BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Stoptech Stage 2 Slotted, xHP Stage 3, Earl's Racing Oil Cooler, Turner Boost Gauge, M3 Lip Spoiler.
Standing Mile Record Holder for Xi over a mile high: 168.2MPH @ 5512'; The Colorado Mile hosted by The US Mile.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #449
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSwift View Post
I believe OFT has the option under diagnostics to do the TCU reset. I haven't tried it for fear of bricking my trans but I'd be willing to give it a shot if someone can verify it does what it's supposed to for this.
That would be cool to know. If you can find out see if it can reset Xdrive transfer case too. Not clear if INPA can.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #450
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

This is pretty much what is shown under diagnostic menu (minus the custom selection screen for data logging:

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #451
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

That is pretty nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #452
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Clear?

This is very interesting. Of all the thousands of posts I've read, the 7+ long DIY threads on this forum and others on the alpina flash, and talking direclty with 3 different coders that do these flashes, nobody has referenced the need to reset adaptations using this method before.

So- does this reset fall into the category of "must do to ensure longevity of the trans with this flash" or more like, "its a good idea in theory?"
      03-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #453
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

I didn't do it. Car is running great. Tranny smoother than ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:46 AM   #454
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
This is very interesting. Of all the thousands of posts I've read, the 7+ long DIY threads on this forum and others on the alpina flash, and talking direclty with 3 different coders that do these flashes, nobody has referenced the need to reset adaptations using this method before.

So- does this reset fall into the category of "must do to ensure longevity of the trans with this flash" or more like, "its a good idea in theory?"
Pretty much both. Consider that the Alpina flash commands higher TQ levels on shifting personally I think it is a good idea to do it. And also on fluid/filter change or internal parts swap.

Oh BTW not sure what threads you are reading but myself and others have posted this up in most of them. And if you read other AT threads you'll find many people cure serious issues with flashed or unflashed AT's by resetting TCU adaptations esp after fluid/filter change.

If you want to reset TCU you must use INPA or similar. It does not appear that TCU adaptations reset on flashing, either Alpina or other. This is based on personal experience with my own car that I flashed myself, then reset adaptations on later. Shift feel improved esp under high load.

It does not mean the tranny will behave worse or poorly if you don't reset, it just means the tranny has not yet had a chance to adapt from zero to higher TQ thresholds and faster shift times that Alpina commands. Which to me is an unnecessary risk to longevity.

Bottom line is gas pedal does nothing much useful, and many people confuse gas pedal reset with true adaptation reset via INPA or similar. My post was intended to clear that confusion up. And to recommend knowing the difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:51 AM   #455
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
I didn't do it. Car is running great. Tranny smoother than ever.
Might run even better with a TCU reset. Nobody is saying it runs poorly without a reset, just understand what a true TCU reset does and does not do. Gas pedal does nothing much. Many people clearly do not understand the difference between that and a true TCU adaptation reset, or when it is appropriate to do one. Alpina commands higher TQ and faster shift times. If not adapted to that...why not do it.

Consider just this fact: there is a prescribed adaptation/break in period of 50-100 miles in service manuals for full TCU reset, and no one flashing Alpina is doing that. Heck nobody does that after a fluid/filter either. Just seems wise to me if there is a simple procedure out there, to follow it.

edit: there are a lot of unknowns wrt our 6HP21 AT. Mainly because the software is super encrypted and virtually impossible to break. Alpina got to unlock it courtesy of BMW/ZF and make their own TCU programming. Locked it back up. So no one knows WTF is going on in there, though it is obvious they shortened shift times and upped TQ levels.

Higher HP/TQ AT cars are seeing 6HP21's blow up unfortunately. Even some AT's with $$$ internal rebuilds are blowing up, even some with Alpina. Presently the only option we have is Alpina though. It makes sense to me therefore that the following simple steps should be done to at least minimize problems. Alpina flash, fluid/filter every 40k miles, reset TCU adaptations + recommended adapt drive loop. This probably gives the best chance of long life under higher loads, until someone cracks the software and we can either change it or at least see what is going on in there.

Would also add that anecdotally a number of folks are curing serious AT shifting probs with or without Alpina flash, by simple fluid/filter and reset.

Last edited by ajsalida; 03-20-2014 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #456
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would wager more people have bricked their cars with inpa than trannies have blown up without a reset.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #457
AlpineSwift
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would wager more people have bricked their cars with inpa than trannies have blown up without a reset.
WinKFP is the only software that can brick your tranny as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #458
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
I have to disagree... It's usually the end user who bricks the transmission. No fault of the application itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #459
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
I have to disagree... It's usually the end user who bricks the transmission. No fault of the application itself.
Hey Wedge-

Regarding the INPA adaptation reset after Alpina flash, is this something you typically do with your customers or recommend?
      03-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #460
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgePerformance View Post
+1 on that. Lot of good tutorials out there too.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #461
WedgePerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slot Machines.. Keep Taking $

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Wedge-

Regarding the INPA adaptation reset after Alpina flash, is this something you typically do with your customers or recommend?
Quote:
+1 on that. Lot of good tutorials out there too.
Only if you notice issues with shifting. It's not a bad idea to do a reset, just as long as you go through a learning cycle and don't push the car too hard before it adapts.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:13 AM   #462
dreptroman
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

PX34916 last vin section....can i find out if i can flash the Alpina?

I think it was produced in the first months of 2007 and am unsure if it will work on my car...

Thank you for any input
Appreciate 0