E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > My clothing brand

06-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #45
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
1. A Brothel

2. A club for rich older gentry to sit around smoking Havana's, drinking Cockburns, and playing pocket billiards when the cocktail waitress wafts by.

3. Lap dancing club

haha, I put exactly that and then deleted it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #46
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i SE E90

@gIzze I am working on getting into as many stores as possible but I know its hard to do so, so what I am also doing at the same time is building a brand identity, something like a following or a group of people proud to show they are wearing the clothing.

I wanted to ask people on here because I thought it might stark a little interest and get some good feedback (like yours for example)

I must say that is an amazing idea, and something I am defiantly going to look into that.

Also guys, im from Birmingham (so he has caught onto something lol) I would like to send you a pm so that I could maybe learn a little from yourself.

@sufchenko thank you very much and really that is the one thing I have made sure it is, I wanted to make sure it was durable because I thought to myself would I buy it otherwise? It has to be the best of the best.

@RockIt I see what your saying, and glad to see that you agree with there being males 30-50 who do like to take into there style and appearance as a big thing

@Hotcoupe Haha you know what, I did some market research and most people thought of number 1 and 3 and I thought it was such a shame as it should be something classed for what gentleman.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #47
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

I'm happy to help answer any questions via pm if you want to gather some data
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #48
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I think you should either change the name or change the products, as they clash. I understand what you are trying to do by creating a new way of thinking, but the first thing people are going to think when they see "Gentlemen's Club" is Spearmint Rhino. It just doesn't fit with your products. It might work if you were selling ladieswear and lingerie. But even then people would think the women wearing them are slags!

Sorry i don't mean to be so negative, just giving my opinion. I like your idea but it just needs a name change, something that your target audience can relate to and catchy. Good luck with it all.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #49
trixman
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Rental

Garage List
2007 BMW E92 335d  [0.00]
2003 M3 CSL  [0.00]
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I work in brand and business development, coming from a design background.

Precisely +1 what Gizze said. Listen to exactly what he has said and do that.

You will not, or I should say it would be insanely difficult to, build an aspirational brand from what is essentially a personal website. You just won't have the coverage unless you start investing heavily in brand association etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #50
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep

@dest Thanks mate, appreciate it and shall do so.

@mob17 Thanks for the comment. I appreciate the concern but I think the contrast in what they are is exactly what I'm after, its something that sticks in your mind and is quirky. I know a lot first think of strip clubs etc but that can all change, for example in sure if you hear a Gentlemens Club Clothing now you might think of my clothing brand instead

@trixman thank you for the kind words, indeed I have listened and I am going forth to doing the action. I know I need to get into small inde stores before the major league in order to get the ball rolling and build the company up. I'll definitely keep your name down for future reference
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #51
notyetguilty
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 BMW 335i

I think I fall under your target audience quite well. I am 21 years old and have a sense for a bit of class however seem to be wearing tracksuit bottoms 90% of the time and a suit the other 10% whilst at work

I'll be brutally honest and give you my first opinions. The website has been produced very well however the use of just one model (presuming yourself?) just reminds me of someone I know who set up a clothing website straight out of university. They were selling plain t-shirts with logos on for extortionate prices for a brand with no heritage which for me just throws me right off. It's safe to say they still haven't got anywhere.

I would suggest modelling in nice afluent areas with expensive cars/boats etc rather than park benches and dark places, It would be much more appealing if the model was stepping out a BMW outside an expensive part of town! It is class you're going for after all, even though it's a younger market

As referred to in a previous post, the use of 'Gentlemens' rather than 'mans' is also something that would bother me. I could walk around with a brand that has an obvious/purposeful gramatical error however this one just doesn't seem that way.

The name itself I personally find very appealing, it almost has a playboy ring to it. You have a shirt on there which mentions 'swag' which I would steer well away from, the word 'swag' and 'gentleman' should never be combined! The modern 'gentleman' or should I say this younger generation of gentlemen are definately not the same as what you would class as a true gentleman (dying breed). Playboyism seems to play more association these days with what you might describe as todays younger 'gentlemen' (take say 'Made in Chelsea' for example) so the name goes quite well.

I walk around in trackies and college jackets etc all the time, comfort is key for me. I see no problem with the choice of clothing and the designs are nice and appealing. The prices however don't appeal, purely at the fact this is a new company (don't take this the wrong way) I am going to presume the clothes have been sourced from cheaper wholesalers where quality is not of main concern.

Once the brand has taken off (I wish you the best of luck with that!) then prices should be increased to reflect the image of the company being say prestigious. Until then I would focus on getting the sales in and getting the clothes on the street

I hope you haven't taken the opinions too bad, all in all I love what you are doing and the idea is great. If you ever need some design ideas I will be more than happy to help (I'm no designer but!).

Hope this helps, and best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #52
PhilL
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, F15 X5 4.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM11M View Post
if you did manage to wear them then you would understand the quality is second to none.
Quote:
if you saw the clothing in person with the materials etc you would all see why I say its something different.
Then you need to convey this through your photos; with models wearing the items so you get an idea of the fit and close-up shots/accompanying copy highlighting the quality and detail. Is it hand woven from unicorn mane and then quad stitched on all seams for unrivalled strength and softness? Then say so!!

Quote:
Depends on what you class as a gentleman, classic idealistic gentleman that we all see in suit and ties, no not really.

But young men with an understand of how to be polite and generous and all the other things a gentleman would do then yes,

Do remember i'm trying to break the mold and stigma that a gentleman is one in suits etc, it can be anyone, so why not on the days at home or at the gym wear something comfortable yet represents your characteristics.
Quote:
I see that you have missed that this is targeted to make a new type of gentleman
Quote:
I know a lot first think of strip clubs etc but that can all change, for example in sure if you hear a Gentlemens Club Clothing now you might think of my clothing brand instead
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I would disagree though, such labels like superdry and armani wouldn't be classed as gangsta rappers but similar to the market I am after. Its not about changing the image of a gentleman but adding another section of style for it.
But Superdry focussed on casual, vintage style with attention to detail. Their logo and branding doesn't really reflect this at all and much of it is complete b*llocks inspired by Japanese packaging but it gave them a point of difference.

Armani can trade on a massive wealth of heritage and aspirational high fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixman View Post
I work in brand and business development, coming from a design background.

Precisely +1 what Gizze said. Listen to exactly what he has said and do that.

You will not, or I should say it would be insanely difficult to, build an aspirational brand from what is essentially a personal website. You just won't have the coverage unless you start investing heavily in brand association etc.
^^^This

Wholesale as Gizze outlined sounds like excellent advice - in which case I'd remove the online shopping direct sales from your website, effectively making it your online portfolio/catalogue then add a list of stockists when you can.

I personally agree it would be very difficult to build an aspirational brand from your website unless you can identify a specific niche and develop a dedicated 'tribe' who can buy into your brand (think Jack Wills, North Face, Howies, Superdry etc etc).

It's one thing saying you want people to think of your brand when they think of 'Gentleman's Club' but it doesn't work like that. The connotations would put me off for sure. It's just too literal IMO. A bit like Jack Wills branding as 'Preppy Elite' or something.

I do think the qualities and the 'brand ethos' you have outlined are commendable but need to be conveyed in a much more subtle way. Maybe you need to relate to a stylised ideal of a 'gentleman' through your branding.

What's your story? You say the clothes are all of the highest quality but if they are that great then you need to explain how. How do you reflect the qualities of being a gentleman through your clothes?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #53
TAM11M
Private First Class
Rep

@notyetguilty

Thanks for that

That one model is defiantly not me haha, I would never dare to be the model for my clothing brand as that just seems unprofessional.

I would say about my next photo shoot will be involving cars, and I am currently looking for a few models for the shoot.

See I knew it would spark a good string with my target audience, can see how you got along with it. I understand some might think the name is a bit wrong for the brand but I think sooner or later it will catch on, just like (and these are random examples) Lamborghini and Koenigsegg have caught one, the name becomes what you make of it and how others interact with it.

@PhilL

I will be adding more info about the materials of the clothing, all the t-shirts for example are 100% cotton and once dimensions have been put up you can see how it would fit around yourself or others etc.

I agree with all comments about the other brands, nothing more to add, you got it spot on, but I just hope my brands stature will show itself in time.

The next step is for me to approach smaller retailers and more forward in that department, having someone come across your website is extremely hard. So to have it in a store and the customer to be able to view it and interact with it will be the main selling point.

What I will be doing is building the brands ideal customer base, this will be explained in due time (I like to keep a few secrets in hand )

The clothing I have to search far and wide to find the best and its why I can say with the clothing no expense was spared. I would be hoping to bring a few along with me to shows for anyone to purchase and really get a feel from it all.

I would like to say thank you to everyone, all your input has been appreciated and its great to see how everyone has taken there time to help me out. Nothing has been taken in offence and all of it has been seen as positive criticism. Grateful to you all.
Appreciate 0