E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rubber ring around brake piston - I fried it, now what?

10-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #23
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Because it's the Ultimate Not-Too-Hard-Driving Machine.

I imagine you'd get even wear if you never really heated up the pads. IOW, never tracked it.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #24
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
but with HP+ (essentially a grabby street pad) in the picture are we sure there is really THAT much heat in the system?
^^^^ I've found that street pads melt a lot faster than pads with a higher max operating temperature.

That's why I asked the above question... Is it possible that this happened because the OP ran the HP+, melted them during the session, and the thin pad material transferred the heat to the piston/melted rotor.... Could the OP have prevented this by running a different pad and not running the pad all the way down to the backing plate?

Just IMHO, but a pad swap is the first thing I'd think of before thinking about rebuilds or accepting that 'this is part of tracking a car'
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Problem is that when you switch to a higher MOT pad, you can brake harder more consistently. In other words, you can get more heat into the pad before it starts going away.

That means you will fry the boots a lot easier.

Street pads will go away sooner, preventing you from building up a ton of heat...but they will also wear faster, giving you less "insulation".

Stock power, pretty new street pads, street rubber and lower speeds will ensure your boots will last a long time. But that's no fun!
Appreciate 0