E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Warranty for lowering (xi) with ZSP (i) springs

08-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Warranty for lowering (xi) with ZSP (i) springs

So I just found out my insurance doesnt want suspension changes (too good of a deal to switch). Also I want to keep the warranty intact for around 2 yrs, not sure if I can take it without lowering the car.

I was thinking if I change the springs with the ZSP, I wonder if the dealer will still cover it under warranty. I am sure insurance will not notice it and if they want to check its still a "BMW" springs.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
So I just found out my insurance doesnt want suspension changes (too good of a deal to switch). Also I want to keep the warranty intact for around 2 yrs, not sure if I can take it without lowering the car.

I was thinking if I change the springs with the ZSP, I wonder if the dealer will still cover it under warranty. I am sure insurance will not notice it and if they want to check its still a "BMW" springs.
What warranty are you worried about losing ? BMW won't fix anything suspension wise anyway 90% of the time for they will claim wear and tear and won't fix it.

Do whatever you want to the suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
What warranty are you worried about losing ? BMW won't fix anything suspension wise anyway 90% of the time for they will claim wear and tear and won't fix it.

Do whatever you want to the suspension.
That is a completely false statement.

However, any modifications you make to the suspension that aren't sanctioned by BMW (ie the correct part number for your application) will cause the dealership to refuse warranty service for that failure if your incorrect part caused the failure (or they believe it did.) Assuming that there is a BMW performance spring available for your car then you can use that without worries (at least as far as the BMW warranty is concerned) assuming that it is installed correctly.

Using the "i" suspension bits for an "xi" is an incorrect application (assuming that iy even fits.)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
infinitigor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
That is a completely false statement.

However, any modifications you make to the suspension that aren't sanctioned by BMW (ie the correct part number for your application) will cause the dealership to refuse warranty service for that failure if your incorrect part caused the failure (or they believe it did.) Assuming that there is a BMW performance spring available for your car then you can use that without worries (at least as far as the BMW warranty is concerned) assuming that it is installed correctly.

Using the "i" suspension bits for an "xi" is an incorrect application (assuming that iy even fits.)
They will refuse any warranty service on ONLY the suspension parts, OP is worried about losing warranty for everything I am assuming? They can only refuse warranty service if they can prove the part caused another part to break, and suspension work won't qualify for a disqualification of an engine warranty.

Either way odds are bmw won't fix your suspension if something breaks, because realistically nothing will break on a new car unless it is damaged.

So OP, go ahead, throw those springs on
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
They will refuse any warranty service on ONLY the suspension parts, OP is worried about losing warranty for everything I am assuming? They can only refuse warranty service if they can prove the part caused another part to break, and suspension work won't qualify for a disqualification of an engine warranty.

Either way odds are bmw won't fix your suspension if something breaks, because realistically nothing will break on a new car unless it is damaged.

So OP, go ahead, throw those springs on
Please send your name and address to the OP as I'm sure you'll be glad to pay for his wheel bearings or other bits that the dealer will refuse to cover based on the incorrect or aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
infinitigor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Please send your name and address to the OP as I'm sure you'll be glad to pay for his wheel bearings or other bits that the dealer will refuse to cover based on the incorrect or aftermarket parts.
I highly doubt any dealer had replaced one's wheel bearing. I had gone to the dealership with a BENT shock, had an indy shop even confirm it and show it to me. Took it to the dealer and they blamed it on my "high performance tires" even though I had the bent shock way before i changed my tires, they even wrote my car is "up to spec"

Shame on them for writing something like that and having me leave with a bent shock

Last edited by infinitigor; 08-31-2010 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0