E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > RacingBrake 2 Piece Rotor Review!

01-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #45
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFiasco View Post
any word on when the rears will be available? what about racingbrake pads?
Rotors start shipping on Feb. 15th, discounts apply up to shipping date only.

Which ones are you after? ET300 or 500?

http://www.hpashop.com/product.sc?pr...categoryId=189

Again, all information on these rotors are at the following thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462870
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #46
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 Auto Sport Red

If I read correctly, Mr 5 has Cool Carbon pads on the RB rotors. Hack has ET500 pads on RB rotors. How do they compare? Which would you guys recommend for my case: 335i daily driver tracked 6-8 times per year on high speed courses ( Auto Club, Big Willow etc) in intermediate sessions.

Of course I bought the CC just before the ET500 were announced but I have not put them on yet since RB rotors not shipped yet. I'll probably keep the stock rotors on rear for now, but open to suggestion there too.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #47
ninesixtwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRO View Post
If I read correctly, Mr 5 has Cool Carbon pads on the RB rotors. Hack has ET500 pads on RB rotors. How do they compare? Which would you guys recommend for my case: 335i daily driver tracked 6-8 times per year on high speed courses ( Auto Club, Big Willow etc) in intermediate sessions.

Of course I bought the CC just before the ET500 were announced but I have not put them on yet since RB rotors not shipped yet. I'll probably keep the stock rotors on rear for now, but open to suggestion there too.
Any comparisons of these against Akebono and PBR/Axxis? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #48
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I have the Cool Carbon pads on the RB rotor before the ET500.

In my opinion? Go with Hawk DTC-60s, Performance Friction PFC-01s, or Cobalt XR-3s for track use. Or try out the ET800 (I haven't done so, only because I love the Hawks so much). Neither the Cool Carbon nor the ET500 will stand up to the rigors of heavy track use (how Mr. 5 still uses the Cool Carbon pads for track I can't understand), and if you're intermediate to advanced intermediate, that extra margin of error these true track pads provide will prove invaluable.

You'll need to "manage" both the Cool Carbons and ET500 for any heavy track use. My personal experience with both pads? The ET500 is a better street pad. The Cool Carbon has higher tolerances to heat. But that sort of falls in the "yeah, but it'll still eventually fade like a b*tch" category for track use, which I would prefer true track pads anyway.

In my not so humble opinion, the Cool Carbon and ET500 pads are suitable for full time street duties, and some light track use or auto-cross. Certainly big step up from OEM pads, but not big enough for big time track use.

BUT. If you've already got Cool Carbon pads, I think the RB rotor upgrade may just give you enough of a cooling advantage to stave off fade. Unless you're getting a discount by buying ET pads with RB rotors, I'd run with what you've got.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #49
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninesixtwo View Post
Any comparisons of these against Akebono and PBR/Axxis? Thanks!
Have not had experience with either but have had experience with Hawk Performance Ceramics, which is similar in dust/noise/grip to Axxis Ultimates.

IMO, the ET500 dusts marginally more than the Hawk Performance Ceramics, but since both gives off a light brown dust instead of the typical black brake dust, the effect of the dusting doesn't appear to be as bad as OEM pads. Brake torque on the ET500 are superior to the ceramic/organic type pads similar to the Hawk Performance Ceramics or Axxis Ultimates. Noise level is similar in street driven conditions, however, once they get hot enough, the ET500 will make some moderate noise. Meaning if you're stuck in stop and go traffic for like 30 minutes, by the end of your commute the ET500 will start to make squealing sounds while typical ceramic or organic compound will continue to work sans noise...Or have started to fade.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #50
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I have the Cool Carbon pads on the RB rotor before the ET500.

In my opinion? Go with Hawk DTC-60s, Performance Friction PFC-01s, or Cobalt XR-3s for track use. Or try out the ET800 (I haven't done so, only because I love the Hawks so much). Neither the Cool Carbon nor the ET500 will stand up to the rigors of heavy track use (how Mr. 5 still uses the Cool Carbon pads for track I can't understand), and if you're intermediate to advanced intermediate, that extra margin of error these true track pads provide will prove invaluable.

You'll need to "manage" both the Cool Carbons and ET500 for any heavy track use. My personal experience with both pads? The ET500 is a better street pad. The Cool Carbon has higher tolerances to heat. But that sort of falls in the "yeah, but it'll still eventually fade like a b*tch" category for track use, which I would prefer true track pads anyway.

In my not so humble opinion, the Cool Carbon and ET500 pads are suitable for full time street duties, and some light track use or auto-cross. Certainly big step up from OEM pads, but not big enough for big time track use.

BUT. If you've already got Cool Carbon pads, I think the RB rotor upgrade may just give you enough of a cooling advantage to stave off fade. Unless you're getting a discount by buying ET pads with RB rotors, I'd run with what you've got.
Yah, this is where we just disagree.
I truly believe that the most recent pad that Cool Carbon has made is a different compound that what you ran a long time ago.
We've talked about this before and I know how you feel about the cool carbons.
The last time we've had this discussion we were trying to figure out what compound you had.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...6621&highlight

It's strange because I'm surprised why you don't like them.
This is why I think there must have been a compound change and then I heard that there really truly was a compound change (thread above).

I wish you could try another set.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #51
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Noise level is similar in street driven conditions, however, once they get hot enough, the ET500 will make some moderate noise. Meaning if you're stuck in stop and go traffic for like 30 minutes, by the end of your commute the ET500 will start to make squealing sounds while typical ceramic or organic compound will continue to work sans noise...Or have started to fade.
I agree with everything you said here.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #52
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
In my experience Cool Carbons provide very good fade protection, but are soft. I can barely get them to fade ~at my~ track which allows good cooling time, even with a heavy e92. However, I only get about 2 or 3 track days, which for me is approximately 5-6 hours, including warm up and cool down, before I wear them down to 3mm or so. (FYI: I'm at an intermediate advanced to advanced level - 'A' group at BMWCCA HPDE's, 2011 will be my first year of regional SCCA racing in another car.) The benefit of this is that the CCs are very easy on rotor wear. Considering the cost and that I wore out 3 sets of CCs last year, I will go with Pagid Yellows this year, probably on these RacingBrake rotors, and keep the CCs or OEM pads on the OEM rotors for the street.
      01-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #53
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
In my experience Cool Carbons provide very good fade protection, but are soft. I can barely get them to fade ~at my~ track which allows good cooling time, even with a heavy e92. However, I only get about 2 or 3 track days, which for me is approximately 5-6 hours, including warm up and cool down, before I wear them down to 3mm or so. .
I have gone thru a few sets of CC as well and my experience is the same as yours. However I don't have the time to change pads and rotors back and forth between a street set and a track set. So I'm looking for a good compromise. I don't have any noise now, but have suffered from the dreaded sensor squeek in the past. I would trade a bit of noise for better track performance as long as it did not have that level or character.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #54
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
It's been a while since I've bumped this thread but it's been a while since I've been to a road course.
I just wanted to share my recent experience about recently going to Auto Club Speedway.

I was running the RacingBrake 2 piece rotors with the Cool Carbons and I was extremely impressed with how well this setup worked on the Roval. There were a couple times where I needed to go from 120 to about 35-40 and this setup worked unbelievable.
To give you an idea, I was running the 6 pot front/4 pot rear Rotora Caliper kit with EBC yellows the last time I was at the Roval and I wasn't stopping as well as last Friday.
It just goes to show how well the stock calipers can be with the a set of nice pads and rotors.

I can't wait for the RacingBrake rear rotors to come out as well because it will be that much better.
Here's the vid if you haven't seen it already:

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:20 AM   #55
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: M4

looking good, nice clean line Ive been waiting for the rear pair to come out as I wanted to replace all 4 in one go. Do we have an ETA maybe?
      06-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #56
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciomas View Post
looking good, nice clean line Ive been waiting for the rear pair to come out as I wanted to replace all 4 in one go. Do we have an ETA maybe?
It's chicken or the egg argument...He's not building the rear rotor because there wasn't enough initial demand for the front rotor, while some of you are holding off on the purchase until the front AND the rears are available.

I posted this on another forum, but they (the rears) are ready. I've seen one of the three piece hubs with my own eyes. He just hasn't built any because the initial demand for the front was low.

Get a list of 10 committed buyers for the rear rotors and I'll see if I can convince him to bump up the production schedule.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #57
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep

Quote:
It's chicken or the egg argument...He's not building the rear rotor because there wasn't enough initial demand for the front rotor, while some of you are holding off on the purchase until the front AND the rears are available.

I posted this on another forum, but they (the rears) are ready. I've seen one of the three piece hubs with my own eyes. He just hasn't built any because the initial demand for the front was low.

Get a list of 10 committed buyers for the rear rotors and I'll see if I can convince him to bump up the production schedule.
I fully agree. Emailed them yesterday and was told the release date is quite distant (8-12 weks). Lets commit. Ill speak to them about a group buy and if it could actualy speed things up a bit for the rears. I'd be happy to buy a front set beginning of July.
      06-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #58
Centex Hokie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Quote:
I fully agree. Emailed them yesterday and was told the release date is quite distant (8-12 weks). Lets commit. Ill speak to them about a group buy and if it could actualy speed things up a bit for the rears. I'd be happy to buy a front set beginning of July.
I'm ready to buy the rear set as soon as available. If they aren't out by September I'll be buying something else. I'm very happy with the rotors and ET500's on the front. Let me know if a group buy is set up.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #59
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep

Great news

I've spoken to Warren @ Racing Brake and Im happy to announce we are starting a group buy. Its very simple - minimum 10 buyers need to sign up for the rear sets to be produced.

They opted for setiing up their own thread to keep it clean and to the point:

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=773

go register and start ordering those bad boys!

Michal
      06-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #60
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
I've spoken to Warren @ Racing Brake and Im happy to announce we are starting a group buy. Its very simple - minimum 10 buyers need to sign up for the rear sets to be produced.

They opted for setiing up their own thread to keep it clean and to the point:

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=773

go register and start ordering those bad boys!

Michal
The RB has long been available through us:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462870

Edit: The GB is for the rear RB rotors. My mistake.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 06-02-2011 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #61
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
Rep
Drives: 13 AH3

thanks for the great review..

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #62
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have gone thru a few sets of CC as well and my experience is the same as yours. However I don't have the time to change pads and rotors back and forth between a street set and a track set. So I'm looking for a good compromise. I don't have any noise now, but have suffered from the dreaded sensor squeek in the past. I would trade a bit of noise for better track performance as long as it did not have that level or character.
After much research I put on Carbotech XP-10s yesterday still hoping they would be quiet enough to daily drive. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. They shriek! First track day with them this Friday with BMWCCA at Auto Club Speedway. So I will see how well they stop. Just hope they don't have a noise restriction.

Anybody else driving the Roval Friday? What that? I can't hear you!
      06-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #63
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
After much research I put on Carbotech XP-10s yesterday still hoping they would be quiet enough to daily drive. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. They shriek! First track day with them this Friday with BMWCCA at Auto Club Speedway. So I will see how well they stop. Just hope they don't have a noise restriction.

Anybody else driving the Roval Friday? What that? I can't hear you!
We now stock the Ferodo brand. The DS2500 is a good "Club Sport" compound, it may be better suited for what you are doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #64
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Sorry for the bump but I'm interested in these rotors and curious how they've held up.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #65
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
So is anyone else running these? Have heard nothing but great things about them.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #66
ciomas
Captain
Poland
Rep

I returned mine and bought a decent Alocn Kit ;]