E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > m3 tension struts - minor problem (?)

02-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
m3 tension struts - minor problem (?)

recently installed m3 tension struts.

one little problem....when I cut the wheels when the car is at a stop or slowly turning from a stop, I get this small vibration through the steering wheel.

any thoughts? anyone else had this? It doesn't seem serious, just noticeable to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
recently installed m3 tension struts.

one little problem....when I cut the wheels when the car is at a stop or slowly turning from a stop, I get this small vibration through the steering wheel.

any thoughts? anyone else had this? It doesn't seem serious, just noticeable to me.
Make sure you torque the bolts with the suspension loaded(full weight of the vehicle on all 4 tires.

Check your PS fluid level as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Make sure you torque the bolts with the suspension loaded(full weight of the vehicle on all 4 tires.

Check your PS fluid level as well.
Hi, thanks for your response.
Wondering...
does suspension need to be loaded for torque of ball joint fastners? Fully loaded suspension for the bushing bolts but not ball joints. Car was on the ground, wheels on, with about 200 lbs of weight loaded in the front seats.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Wondering...
does suspension need to be loaded for torque of ball joint fastners? Fully loaded suspension for the bushing bolts but not ball joints. Car was on the ground, wheels on, with about 200 lbs of weight loaded in the front seats.

On pavement? You have my total respect if ya torqued your suspension there.

I torqued all o'mine at normal ride height.

Did you do an alignment after install? Should. Toe, camber; thrust angle. If out, and it prob is, can cause your issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
On pavement? You have my total respect if ya torqued your suspension there.

I torqued all o'mine at normal ride height.

Did you do an alignment after install? Should. Toe, camber; thrust angle. If out, and it prob is, can cause your issue.
yeah, you can torque the bolts for the bushings with car on ground and bottom panel removed. It's a tight spot but do-able (I didn't drop my car, it sits at sport suspension height which probably helps with clearance). Nuts for ball joints - wishbones are doable on the ground, tension strut ball joints are not....but...I read somewhere on this forum that the ride height process matters only for the bushing side. Maybe that's wrong. I'll probably redo them just to make sure.

eventually getting an alignment, for now I used your string + jack stand process to set the toe back until then. Not sure if alignment would cause the issue turning the steering wheel when car is at rest. My problem doesn't occur at speeds greater than 5mph (if that).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Wondering...
Not on the ball joints, but on ends with rubber bushings only.

As "Calwaterboy" suggest it, have your alignment checked as well.
Appreciate 0