E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > *Dinan Flash AND Oil Cooler REVIEW!!*

01-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #45
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

Great mod! Cost is a funny thing. I never regret paying a lot for a product or service I really like over time. What I end up regretting is paying less for a product or service I end up disliking. Sounds like you are not going to have any regrets.
      01-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #46
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
Great mod! Cost is a funny thing. I never regret paying a lot for a product or service I really like over time. What I end up regretting is paying less for a product or service I end up disliking. Sounds like you are not going to have any regrets.
Thanks man! I know exactly what you mean.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #47
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
+10

I've had that regret before, sometimes the benefit from the premium you pay for a product is not seen immediately.
      01-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #48
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

the problem i have with the cooler is this...

you could buy a spearco, rpi, aa inter cooler for almost half the price and it does more than the oil cooler does...if i didn't have the one from bmw without a doubt i would fork over an extra 5 bills and get this one...but since i have the oil cooler from bmw..it makes no sense unless i wanted every last ounce of power from this engine...it just makes more sense if you have the bmw cooler to buy a better intercooler since it is doing more of the work!!! still glad to hear you love the product and it works so well..i didn't doubt that one bit... dinan has to turn there ship around with bmw performances 335 line due out in march...but spending less and getting an upgraded fmic with 3 times the power sounds much better for those of us that already have the bmw oil cooler!!! but if you don't have one i would DEFINITELY buy the dinan one..it's literally twice the size!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #49
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post

you could buy a spearco, rpi, aa inter cooler for almost half the price and it does more than the oil cooler does...if i didn't have the one from bmw without a doubt i would fork over an extra 5 bills and get this one...but since i have the oil cooler from bmw..it makes no sense unless i wanted every last ounce of power from this engine...it just makes more sense if you have the bmw cooler to buy a better intercooler since it is doing more of the work!!! still glad to hear you love the product and it works so well..i didn't doubt that one bit... dinan has to turn there ship around with bmw performances 335 line due out in march...but spending less and getting an upgraded fmic with 3 times the power sounds much better for those of us that already have the bmw oil cooler!!! but if you don't have one i would DEFINITELY buy the dinan one..it's literally twice the size!!!!!

Intercooler controls water temps..oil cooler controls oil temps...intercooler does not control the heat soak..
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #50
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post

We'd all love it if you would invest in a shift key and return key for your computer. CAPS lock key doesn't count.
      01-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #51
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
We'd all love it if you would invest in a shift key and return key for your computer. CAPS lock key doesn't count.
!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #52
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

awesome! thanks for the write up!
      01-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #53
kfitz199
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Gray 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
That's not necessarily true. The ZSP sport package includes the:

Rims/RFT's
Power seats
Sport steering wheel
Suspension upgrade
And for 08's, the cooler

The seats and the rims alone are a big portion, cost wise, of the upgrade. I would guess that the seats and the wheels/tires alone compose more than half (maybe even 3/4's) of the total price of the sport upgrade. In BMW's world, they are buying 1000's of those coolers at a nominal price.

07 ZSPs have oil coolers. Not sure when it started, but I know mine does. May 07 build.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #54
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
awesome! thanks for the write up!
Thank you! No problem. I took some pics of the oil cooler today, will post them soon. Also, the "mod bug" hit me hard, as I am looking into potentially getting the Dinan exhaust. The straight tips on that exhaust (despite the "tip within a tip") are starting to grow on me...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #55
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

I talked to another BMW dealership two days ago and confirmed again that all 2008 335i will have the oil cooler even if you dont have the sport package.....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #56
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I think manual ZSPs have always had the oil cooler. My first week of production one does. Kind of strange, given that the steps have much more overheating problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #57
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
The straight tips on that exhaust (despite the "tip within a tip") are starting to grow on me...
I think the current version has eliminated the tip inside a tip.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #58
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
There will be lots more, guarateed.

How many Dinan owners have run their car at a dragstrip with timeslips???

Hello??

Anyone??

<<crickets chirping in the background as a tumbleweed blows across the deserted road>>
      01-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #59
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
How many Dinan owners have run their car at a dragstrip with timeslips???

Hello??

Anyone??

<<crickets chirping in the background as a tumbleweed blows across the deserted road>>
There will be at least one Dinan user heading to the track Feb. 1st.

This Dinan flash has only been out for a few weeks now. And depending on where members who have it live, it is WINTER right now. You know, the season where it is snowy, icy, and cold. Don't you live in Canada, aren't you familiar with that?

And some people might want to invest in some better tires, etc. before they try to go tear up the track.

I nominate you TBone, to get the flash, and head to the nearest track and give us the scoop. You've already spent a bit of money on Dinan, how about just a little bit more
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #60
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I nominate you TBone, to get the flash, and head to the nearest track and give us the scoop. You've already spent a bit of money on Dinan, how about just a little bit more

I have no problems spending money on mods but I don't spend money on mods where I need to buy Astroglide.
      01-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #61
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have no problems spending money on mods but I don't spend money on mods where I need to buy Astroglide.
Ugh...still whining about the price of the oil cooler. I know you're not whining about the price of the flash, hopefully all of the dynos have changed your mind on that.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #62
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ugh...still whining about the price of the oil cooler. I know you're not whining about the price of the flash, hopefully all of the dynos have changed your mind on that.

Forget Dynos, I wanna see timeslips.... Right now I cannot see Dinan being faster than a Procede 1.47.... Perhaps the Dinan owners can start a thread on what types of driving events will void their warranty....oh there is a thread already.

I just find it very odd now that Dinan has been out for over a month no one in the US, in the parts without snow, hasn't taken their car to the track? Ridonkulous.

Also, it is not whining, it is the moaning of people who bought the Dinan oil cooler from the lack of lube.

BTW, I know I kid alot but I wonder what the long term effects of running the N54 engine below the design temps. With this oil cooler, the N54 cannot use temperature to regulate things like emissions and fuel economy. Ybbiz, can you see if your fuel economy has changed?
      01-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #63
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Forget Dynos, I wanna see timeslips.... Right now I cannot see Dinan being faster than a Procede 1.47.... Perhaps the Dinan owners can start a thread on what types of driving events will void their warranty....oh there is a thread already.

I just find it very odd now that Dinan has been out for over a month no one in the US, in the parts without snow, hasn't taken their car to the track? Ridonkulous.

Also, it is not whining, it is the moaning of people who bought the Dinan oil cooler from the lack of lube.

BTW, I know I kid alot but I wonder what the long term effects of running the N54 engine below the design temps. With this oil cooler, the N54 cannot use temperature to regulate things like emissions and fuel economy. Ybbiz, can you see if your fuel economy has changed?
TBone, PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 11:29 PM   #64
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
TBone, PM sent.
No PM sent, cough it up in public so we all know the answer to the question: what has happened to your MPG.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #65
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
No PM sent, cough it up in public so we all know the answer to the question: what has happened to your MPG.
Mine has gone from 11.9-12.1 MPG to 13.1-13.5 MPG. I do have a lead foot mind you.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 12:18 AM   #66
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
I talked to another BMW dealership two days ago and confirmed again that all 2008 335i will have the oil cooler even if you dont have the sport package.....
I'm gonna ask for my friggin oil cooler... I paid for the sport package!!!