E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > [Rant] - Base Audio

11-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
CaroleBaskin
Big Cat Rescue
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4CS - Lime Rock Grey

[Rant] - Base Audio

Just picked up my new BMW.

It should be f***ing illegal to select base audio package when building your f***** BMW.

I can't complain as I didn't build it and it just got off a lease (BMW Financial sold it to me.) But f*** me dude. My heart thumped harder than my f****** car.

Now I have to retrof***ingfit a Logic 7 into this f***ing f*** f***.

Alright, I feel better.

---
Hey guys,

What are your experiences on retrofitting the Logic7 kit? Expensive? Time consuming? I know there are numerous threads on what I need and how it's done, just wanted some personal experiences with it.

Thanks
-W
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

If you have the complete basic audio, it will be better/cheaper to go after market. The logic 7 is a good improvement over the basic stuff, but as an audiophile it still falls short. I am currently in the process of adding a 12" in the trunk and upgrading the underseat subs since I am not happy with the bass in the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

ROFL

Alright now I got that aside you should consider upgrading the speakers to BSW Stage 1 since going Logic 7 retro will be time consuming also the amp is expensive as hell, best find a used one for cheap.

Search around, there was someone who had the same problem as you before.
      11-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
CaroleBaskin
Big Cat Rescue
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
If you have the complete basic audio, it will be better/cheaper to go after market. The logic 7 is a good improvement over the basic stuff, but as an audiophile it still falls short. I am currently in the process of adding a 12" in the trunk and upgrading the underseat subs since I am not happy with the bass in the car.
How are you going to amp the speakers/add tweeters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
ROFL

Alright now I got that aside you should consider upgrading the speakers to BSW Stage 1 since going Logic 7 retro will be time consuming also the amp is expensive as hell, best find a used one for cheap.

Search around, there was someone who had the same problem as you before.
Then f*** the L7. HiFi maybe?

I'm also seeing people like this:

http://www.musicarnw.com/musicar-sys...s-with-stereo/

1,995 is steep.... tax returns ftw....
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
ibeaver
joe
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91

do the musicnw upgrade.... its a bit of cash, but you won't get much better sound quality unless you start replacing door panels or complete custom installs. And Ken, he's probably the most trust worthy guy on this forum - he's the one who'll take care of you.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

To fix it read this

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

The Musicar Kits are the easiest most complete solution .
Also they are high quality.
A lot of L7 users say they are better than L7.
There are almost no instances of people retrofitting L7 on these boards. Its way more expensive than an aftermarket solution unless
you have a donor car and you work on BMW's at a much higher level
than a BMW tech .
If you went to BMW and tried to have them retrofit a l7 think 5k+ if they could or would even do it.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-02-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #7
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGenius View Post

I'm also seeing people like this:

http://www.musicarnw.com/musicar-sys...s-with-stereo/

1,995 is steep.... tax returns ftw....
I know it sucks having the base audio but you didn't know any better when you bought the car, unless you did? it's possible to upgrade to HiFi but your going to be buying new interior parts if you go that route, I say stick with what others are saying and just buy the musicar or upgrade your speakers to BSW Stage 1, which will be my next upgrade to my audio setup .

Search in the audio section, I remember somebody retrofitting HiFi on a base audio car but I also remember he did alot of work just to get it that way.
      11-01-2012, 04:35 AM   #8
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

so glad I got mine with HiFi. Not really a whole lot better, but I've heard the base base, and its pretty bad lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
aph335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

The Musicar Kits are the easiest most complete solution .
Also they are high quality.
A lot of L7 users say they are better than L7.
There are almost no instances of people retrofitting L7 on these boards. Its way more expensive than an aftermarket solution unless
you have a donor car and you work on BMW's a much higher level
than a BMW tech .
If you went to BMW and tried to have them retrofit a l7 think 5k+ if they could or would even do it.
I have hifi and I can't imagine anyone NEEDING a better system than this. I'm someone who blares my music constantly. I'm 25 and still pretty wild and it suits me perfect. I just don't see how someone could need more
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #10
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aph335i View Post
I have hifi and I can't imagine anyone NEEDING a better system than this. I'm someone who blares my music constantly. I'm 25 and still pretty wild and it suits me perfect. I just don't see how someone could need more
+1

I agree with you, were the same age and the HiFi was good for the first six months owning my car but then wanted that missing low end bass so I added two 12" subs running at 600W which is underpowered but enough to give me what i'm missing.
      11-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
CaroleBaskin
Big Cat Rescue
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
I know it sucks having the base audio but you didn't know any better when you bought the car, unless you did? it's possible to upgrade to HiFi but your going to be buying new interior parts if you go that route, I say stick with what others are saying and just buy the musicar or upgrade your speakers to BSW Stage 1, which will be my next upgrade to my audio setup .

Search in the audio section, I remember somebody retrofitting HiFi on a base audio car but I also remember he did alot of work just to get it that way.
Why are you choosing the BSW instead of Stage 1 Musicnar if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks for tolerating my pointless bumps.

I'm still mad but you guys calmed me the F down quick.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Alright, first off Musicar may sound nice but are you willing to spend that much? if you are then by all means order it but if you want another solution which i'm giving you buy the BSW Stage 1 kit and an MS-8 Amp which will cost half the price of the Musicar and you'll get the same quality. Research BSW Stage 1 on the whole bimmerpost forums, people did reviews on it. The difference is like night and day from what i've read, so no need to be buying expensive audio equipment just for the name when you can get the same quality by putting some parts together to create your own.
      11-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

You have be carefull when looking at this stuff

Since you are dealing with three different stock systems all with different power outputs and speakers. The BSW's are optimized for the L7 system or you will get the greatest amount of change with that system . People have reported the Hi Fi has less improvement with BSW and even less with the base system.
Also as of yet I don't think BSW has and upgrade for the underseats or amp for the e9x.
Anyway there are extensive threads in the audio subforum on this and you can make up your own mind. Just remember to really do your research before you make a decision.
I consider the Hi Fi system the I can almost live with it system . It just can't handle any volume and it has big holes in the frequency range. One person described it as having the perfect mudrange speakers. While its a little bit better than the average OEM stereo it doesn't match what should be in a car sold in the 50k range.
Also most that buy and ms-8 end up buying and amp to as it just won't power the under seats with any authority its still head unit power only.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-01-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
+1

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...Series-M3-E90/

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

<3 My logic 7. Kicks so hard. When I get in someone else's car I always appreciate my stereo.

Look on the bright side. You get to build a kick ass system from scratch.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
e90-328i
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i RWD!

you could always do what i did.
put in an exhaust and intake and listen to the sweet sound of the engine.
      11-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGenius View Post

since I have L7, I had to buy an adapter/harness to tap into the stock amp that makes a bypass for the stock subs, so basically i can add my own amp(for underseat subs) and wire in an additional sub. while still using the l7 amp for everything else. Having the L7 is also a bit of curse though since I can really upgrade anything else without ripping everything out including the head unit which I do not want to do yet. I'm just waiting to have some free time to build a custom corner mount fiberglass box for my trunk before i go any further.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #18
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
...so why not hold off on another option with better audio? Like e90-328i said above... get an exhaust and it'll all be over.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #19
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

it's detachable too

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

On OEM head unit replacement

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764389

head unit
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=dynavin

There are side effects.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Is your goal to replace the HU? Or instead to get better SQ? They are not the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #22
ibeaver
joe
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91

I'm still a newbie here, I still have the base stereo (ya its a shocker that someone kept their job at BMW letting that out the door) but I can share my advice about the audio.

I would spend the money and get stage 2 from MusicNW. Its what I am going to do start of the new year (winter project).

And just so you are sure, you have three issues to deal with:
Tweeter pods for the doors. Stereo imaging is much improved -> sound quality upgrade - you could put some two ways in the doors, but then you admit you prefer volume over sound quality.

Reprogram the head unit to be the "hifi" output, then the head unit outputs the sound without any EQ compensation that is needed for the shit speakers of the base stereo.

Installation. MusicNW provides all the peices you need to put everything together.

BSW does aprox the same by improving the sound quality of your bmw system, but I would disagree with jsnae92 that they sound the same.... I have not listened to both, but what MusicNW puts together is based only on Sound Quality and not buying and branding hardware to sell to a market segment (BMW owners) . Small difference, but in the end the winner in SQ is MusicNW. Ken is an ex IASSCA judge which should also help you trust his work. Search and read some of his comments about installing kit.
For sure if price is your first priority, BSW will fit the bill just fine and I'm sure you'll be happy. If Sound Quality is your goal, MusicNW.

Last edited by ibeaver; 11-02-2012 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: I don't speak english very well
Appreciate 0